Author Topic: NASA weighs plan to keep space shuttle until 2017  (Read 298684 times)

Offline LC39tech

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: NASA weighs plan to keep space shuttle until 2017
« Reply #880 on: 03/18/2011 05:04 pm »
When I execute a task, there were at least thirty people involved in the process before it got to me. Managers, supervisors, engineers, schedulers, safety, quality and the like; you cannot do business like that and expect to make money. If USA is going to do this, there are going to have to be major changes starting at the top and working down.
It’s very simple, hire people you trust and let them do their job…….

Offline Namechange User

• Elite Veteran
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #881 on: 03/18/2011 05:09 pm »

But how do I know I can trust you without the four people watching you do your job telling me that you are doing it correctly?  Assuming they can be trusted.  LOL!  ;)
Enjoying viewing the forum a little better now by filtering certain users.

Offline kirghizstan

• Liked: 179
  • Likes Given: 86
« Reply #882 on: 03/18/2011 05:18 pm »

But how do I know I can trust you without the four people watching you do your job telling me that you are doing it correctly?  Assuming they can be trusted.  LOL!  ;)

you have to hire 16 more people, 4 for each of the 4 oversight people.

Offline pummuf

• Likes Given: 0
« Reply #883 on: 03/18/2011 07:37 pm »

A corollary -- some of the people you hire won't work out and have to be let go, since there's not as much oversight. If you've ever worked at a lean competitive company you see this happen regularly.

Conversely, government operations and some large companies just tend to accumulate layers of fat, when given the chance.
« Last Edit: 03/18/2011 07:48 pm by pummuf »

Offline LC39tech

• Likes Given: 1
« Reply #884 on: 03/18/2011 10:03 pm »

If you've ever worked at a lean competitive company you see this happen regularly.

I work for USA (until summer) so thats something I really can't relate too.

Offline RocketEconomist327

• Rocket Economist
  • Infecting the beltway with fiscal responsibility, limited government, and free markets.
  • Liked: 96
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #885 on: 03/18/2011 11:19 pm »

This is the quote of the year.

It is why I personally like the USA proposal.  The other stuff just re-affirms what I already know.

Very nice post.

VR
RE327
You can talk about all the great things you can do, or want to do, in space; but unless the rocket scientists get a sound understanding of economics (and quickly), the US space program will never achieve the greatness it should.

Putting my money where my mouth is.

Offline padrat

• Payload Packer and Dragon tamer...
  • Where Dragons roam....
  • Liked: 861
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #886 on: 03/21/2011 12:19 am »

This is the quote of the year

I couldn't agree more
If the neighbors think you're the rebel of the neighborhood, embrace it and be the rebel. It keeps them wondering what you'll do next...

Offline sdsds

• “With peace and hope for all mankind.”
  • Seattle
  • Liked: 2050
  • Likes Given: 1962
« Reply #887 on: 07/30/2011 10:58 pm »
I couldn't find a better thread to discussion the synergies (or lack thereof) between a commercial Shuttle extension and the reported "stretched core" SLS design.

When DIRECT J-130/J-24x was being actively discussed much was made of the potential for Michoud to smoothly transition SLS ET tooling (and maybe even built parts) from extended Shuttle missions to early missions of inline vehicles.  It's difficult to believe there could be much commonality in parts between an ET and a core stretched to be 38% larger.  But maybe it's possible.  Could it be as simple as adding new heavyweight ring sections at the aft end of each tank, and then shifting all the other ring sections up on spot?
— 𝐬𝐝𝐒𝐝𝐬 —

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography