Author Topic: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 6  (Read 721029 times)

Offline biosehnsucht

• Liked: 124
  • Likes Given: 319
Re: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 6
« Reply #320 on: 11/14/2017 07:40 am »
Looks like the render has the roof slant on the lift 90 degrees from what they're actually building?

Offline mme

• Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
  • Liked: 2034
  • Likes Given: 5381
« Reply #321 on: 11/14/2017 03:41 pm »
Looks like the render has the roof slant on the lift 90 degrees from what they're actually building?
I believe it's exaggerated perspective in the rendering combined with a viewing angle that hides the roofline.
Space is not Highlander.  There can, and will, be more than one.

Offline SPITexas

• Liked: 191
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #322 on: 11/14/2017 06:02 pm »
Anticipated Completion on
SpaceCraft
Tracking
Astronomical
Research into
Giga-Hertz
Astrophysical
Transient
Emission

Offline Dave G

• Liked: 2127
  • Likes Given: 2021
« Reply #323 on: 11/14/2017 08:39 pm »
I noticed that as well.

On the rendering, it looks like the elevator roof line is sloping west, toward the main roof.

But in the picture, it looks like the elevator roof line is sloping south, toward Hwy 4.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #324 on: 11/14/2017 08:55 pm »
I believe it's exaggerated perspective in the rendering combined with a viewing angle that hides the roofline.
I really don't think so although I could be wrong, I think the render (rather than the building, although it DOES happen) is wrong.

The swoopy thing over the doorway is just for show I assume?  Is it going to have solar panels on it? I guess the architect watched too much SG-1 ???
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline John Alan

• Central IL - USA - Earth
    • Home of the ThreadRipper Cadillac
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 2735
« Reply #325 on: 11/14/2017 09:06 pm »
I'm with Lar on this... the render is outdated and they late changed the slope direction to as shown...

Runoff in the rain will splatter down the back side away from the front door is likely what drove the change...
Also... in my opinion... it will look more balanced on the front side as a walk up view...  ;)

Guess we will find out soon enough when it's finished...  8)
« Last Edit: 11/14/2017 09:10 pm by John Alan »

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
  • Liked: 60431
  • Likes Given: 1305
« Reply #326 on: 11/15/2017 12:33 am »
 Almost recovered from the three digit proof polinka tasting incident in Transylvania, and should be back to picture taking in Boca Chica next week.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline Dave G

• Liked: 2127
  • Likes Given: 2021
« Reply #327 on: 11/15/2017 02:45 am »
The swoopy thing over the doorway is just for show I assume?  Is it going to have solar panels on it? I guess the architect watched too much SG-1 ???

Also looks like solar panels to me, though not well placed for maximum sun exposure.

Note that some of the university students had a lot to do with making the Stargate project a reality, perhaps more than the faculty.
http://www.expressnews.com/business/local/article/SpaceX-leads-space-exploration-renaissance-and-10872954.php
UT Rio Grande Valley in Brownsville Dr. Frederick Jenet is pushing ahead with the school’s STARGATE program...

Jenet said that students from his program are the ones who led the charge to engage SpaceX and persuade them to partner with local educational institutions.

“We basically have these programs that were developed, we have these students that were at this level and then SpaceX comes nosing around. Our students immediately take advantage of this and they start organizing themselves to talk to SpaceX and organizing themselves to talk at the forums,” he said.

With this in mind, perhaps the university students also influenced the design of the Stargate front doorway area.

Offline bocachicagal

• boca chica
  • Liked: 94450
  • Likes Given: 288
« Reply #328 on: 11/16/2017 09:59 pm »
Been a lot of activity at the Ground Tracking Station the last couple days. They have started to clear the land next to the tracking station.
My name is NOT Maria. My name IS Mary.

Offline SPITexas

« Reply #329 on: 11/17/2017 01:58 pm »
Been a lot of activity at the Ground Tracking Station the last couple days. They have started to clear the land next to the tracking station.
What the tractors are working on might be a building, I’m hearing they will put a fence up around it.

Offline bocachicagal

• boca chica
  • Liked: 94450
  • Likes Given: 288
« Reply #330 on: 11/17/2017 07:14 pm »
More pics. :D
My name is NOT Maria. My name IS Mary.

Offline SPITexas

« Reply #331 on: 11/21/2017 08:24 pm »
http://www.512tech.com/technology/progress-slow-spacex-planned-south-texas-spaceport/1R1yN1aM7FsO2XGBr4uOJI/

A must read SpaceX still aiming for a late 2018 launch
Sept. 30th, 2018 the deadline for it to be done.
« Last Edit: 11/21/2017 08:41 pm by SPITexas »

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4164
  • Likes Given: 6078
« Reply #332 on: 11/21/2017 08:43 pm »
The good news is that LC-40 is about to go back on line, and the conversion of LC-39A for FH is a couple months from done. 
Boca Chica is next... hopefully.
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline SPITexas

« Reply #333 on: 11/21/2017 09:00 pm »
The good news is that LC-40 is about to go back on line, and the conversion of LC-39A for FH is a couple months from done. 
Boca Chica is next... hopefully.

LC-39A classified Zuma Launch is delayed till December probably delaying the FH launch but, as of right now there probably modifying LC39A just in time for the FH still scheduled to launch in December 29th. Static fire for FH is December 15th.

Offline Kansan52

• Hutchinson, KS
  • Liked: 570
  • Likes Given: 539
« Reply #334 on: 11/21/2017 09:21 pm »
So the building frame shown in the video is for a building covering the crane sections?

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
« Reply #335 on: 11/21/2017 09:40 pm »
 Back home.
 It looks like they found a few more pieces for the 2nd dish. It has the elevation locks installed and doesn't need chains.
 They're working next to the dish lot on both sides. Mostly the east side.
 The framework for the Cranezilla warehouse looks pretty much complete.
« Last Edit: 11/21/2017 09:42 pm by Nomadd »
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Online Zardar

• Limerick, Ireland
  • Liked: 130
  • Likes Given: 344
« Reply #336 on: 11/21/2017 09:41 pm »
http://www.512tech.com/technology/progress-slow-spacex-planned-south-texas-spaceport/1R1yN1aM7FsO2XGBr4uOJI/

To be realistic, I'd add a year to that (at least). Right now, they don't have much more than a big pile of earth.

LC-40, with existing infrastructure and flame trench took over two years from construction start (apr 2008) to first launch (June 2010)
After the Atmos-6 incident in Sept 2016, it will take at least 15 months just to repair/re-construct it for the next expected launch (for CRS-13 in Dec 2017)

Space-X signed the lease on 39-A in Apr 2014. Although they had the new HIF up by 2015, it was still Feb 2017 before they re-modelled the existing pad and did the first launch (CRS-10).

On the east coast, at SLC-4W, spacex started demolition in summer 2011, but didn't launch from there until sept 2013.

So, going on past history, it takes spacex 2 years+ to re-model an existing launch site.  Expecting them to spend extra capital to try to do it faster, on a site with limited infrastructure, especially when they don't desperately need it to fulfil their medium-term (< 2 yrs) manifest is a fallacy.

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
« Reply #337 on: 11/21/2017 09:46 pm »

To be realistic, I'd add a year to that (at least). Right now, they don't have much more than a big pile of earth.

LC-40, with existing infrastructure and flame trench took over two years from construction start (apr 2008) to first launch (June 2010)
After the Atmos-6 incident in Sept 2016, it will take at least 15 months just to repair/re-construct it for the next expected launch (for CRS-13 in Dec 2017)

Space-X signed the lease on 39-A in Apr 2014. Although they had the new HIF up by 2015, it was still Feb 2017 before they re-modelled the existing pad and did the first launch (CRS-10).

On the east coast, at SLC-4W, spacex started demolition in summer 2011, but didn't launch from there until sept 2013.

So, going on past history, it takes spacex 2 years+ to re-model an existing launch site.  Expecting them to spend extra capital to try to do it faster, on a site with limited infrastructure, especially when they don't desperately need it to fulfil their medium-term (< 2 yrs) manifest is a fallacy.

On the other hand, expecting everything with the existing pads to go perfectly with no problems that might make one or both unexpectedly unavailable is the height of realistic thinking.
 Waiting until you're desperate isn't usually the best way to plan.

Offline Kansan52

• Hutchinson, KS
  • Liked: 570
  • Likes Given: 539
« Reply #338 on: 11/21/2017 10:07 pm »
Well, things for 2018, this is a new site so no removal, no work to adapt old to new, and plenty of hard won experience on other sites.

Things against, lots of work, cash flow, and the likelihood that plans are still in flux on how to build a site that can support F9, FH, and BFR.

One big plus for the BC site is that the commercial customers want the access this site will provide (unless plans change).

However, just guessing here, SX will ask for an extension without penalty. Likely citing the soil conditions as a reason for the extension

Online Zardar

• Limerick, Ireland
  • Liked: 130
  • Likes Given: 344
« Reply #339 on: 11/21/2017 10:11 pm »

To be realistic, I'd add a year to that (at least).

On the other hand, expecting everything with the existing pads to go perfectly with no problems that might make one or both unexpectedly unavailable is the height of realistic thinking.
 Waiting until you're desperate isn't usually the best way to plan.

Personally, I'd agree totally with that approach. It's just that spacex has generally followed a JIT (or even NET if they can get away with it) approach to both infrastructure build-out and and rocket construction/assembly.
There has been signs recently of a willingness to allocate more resources to contingency - e.g. the spare containers used to quickly fix the drone ship after the roomba-roasting, but (like any prudent company) they won't generally spend resources on stuff that isn't needed before its needed. 

They have been 'caught wasting' (in hindsight) money before, i.e the whole spaceport america thing, the unused flame trench at Mcgregor, and the big crane at Boca Chica that is unused so long they have had to build a shed over it.

It's a trade-off, probably passionately made at the highest level, between spending capital on a risk-reduction option, vs using it to progress ongoing R&D or operations.
Several hundred millions of concrete, re-bar, structural steel and GSE stuff to build a spaceport, and then staff it before you really need it, will buy a hell of a lot of composite tooling and raptor testing.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography