Author Topic: LIVE: MSL Curiosity Post Landing SOL 1 onwards Update Thread  (Read 1026398 times)

Offline JayP

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: LIVE: MSL Curiosity Post Landing SOL 1 onwards Update Thread
« Reply #960 on: 04/09/2013 02:13 am »
I saw this last week and I was a little dismayed at how beat up the wheels were just from short roving here on earth.  There were dents and even holes in the wheels; this does not bode well for long term roving on Mars...

Those wheels have been rolling around in that sandbox for litterly years of testing. They probably have more mileage already than the flight vehicle will get in it's lifetime.
« Last Edit: 04/09/2013 02:13 am by JayP »

Offline R7

• Propulsophile
    • Don't worry.. we can still be fans of OSC and SNC
  • Liked: 992
  • Likes Given: 668
« Reply #961 on: 04/09/2013 01:07 pm »
I saw this last week and I was a little dismayed at how beat up the wheels were just from short roving here on earth.  There were dents and even holes in the wheels; this does not bode well for long term roving on Mars...

Err the holes are manufactured. They imprint "JPL" in Morse code and are used to measure distances. May also help clear sand from the rim inner surface.
AD·ASTRA·ASTRORVM·GRATIA

Offline JayP

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #962 on: 04/09/2013 02:00 pm »

Err the holes are manufactured. They imprint "JPL" in Morse code and are used to measure distances. May also help clear sand from the rim inner surface.

Those are not the holes he was talking about. The Science Channel program showed clips of the test rover at JPL. It's wheels have numeros dents and tears from lots of use.

Offline R7

• Propulsophile
    • Don't worry.. we can still be fans of OSC and SNC
  • Liked: 992
  • Likes Given: 668
« Reply #963 on: 04/09/2013 02:49 pm »
Those are not the holes he was talking about. The Science Channel program showed clips of the test rover at JPL. It's wheels have numeros dents and tears from lots of use.

Oh, thought he referred to the image on the last page, my bad sorry  :)

Is the clip available somewhere online?
AD·ASTRA·ASTRORVM·GRATIA

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8785
  • Likes Given: 7815
« Reply #964 on: 04/12/2013 07:56 pm »
Curiosity Rover Report (April 12, 2013): Mars' Bygone Atmosphere

Published on Apr 12, 2013
NASA's Curiosity finds that the Red Planet doesn't have the same atmosphere it used to.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Bubbinski

Raw images are now updated.  Images in from sol 263.  They're uploading new flight software before returning to full science.  As I understand it they're going to drill another rock sample before going to Mount Sharp.
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline Dalhousie

• Liked: 780
  • Likes Given: 1131
« Reply #966 on: 05/04/2013 05:45 am »
Raw images are now updated.  Images in from sol 263.  They're uploading new flight software before returning to full science.  As I understand it they're going to drill another rock sample before going to Mount Sharp.

So that's another month being spent at Glenelg.
Apologies in advance for any lack of civility - it's unintended

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8560
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #967 on: 05/09/2013 10:12 pm »

RELEASE: 13-136

NASA CURIOSITY ROVER TEAM SELECTS SECOND DRILLING TARGET ON MARS

PASADENA, Calif. -- The team operating NASA's Curiosity Mars rover on
Mars has selected a second target rock for drilling and sampling. The
rover will set course to the drilling location in coming days.

This second drilling target, called "Cumberland," lies about nine feet
(2.75 meters) west of the rock where Curiosity's drill first touched
Martian stone in February. Curiosity took the first rock sample ever
collected on Mars from that rock, called "John Klein." The rover
found evidence of an ancient environment favorable for microbial
life. Both rocks are flat, with pale veins and a bumpy surface. They
are embedded in a layer of rock on the floor of a shallow depression
called "Yellowknife Bay."

This second drilling is intended to confirm results from the first
drilling, which indicated the chemistry of the first powdered sample
from John Klein was much less oxidizing than that of a soil sample
the rover scooped up before it began drilling.

"We know there is some cross-contamination from the previous sample
each time," said Dawn Sumner, a long-term planner for Curiosity's
science team at the University of California at Davis. "For the
Cumberland sample, we expect to have most of that cross-contamination
come from a similar rock, rather than from very different soil."

Although Cumberland and John Klein are very similar, Cumberland
appears to have more of the erosion-resistant granules that cause the
surface bumps. The bumps are concretions, or clumps of minerals,
which formed when water soaked the rock long ago. Analysis of a
sample containing more material from these concretions could provide
information about the variability within the rock layer that includes
both John Klein and Cumberland.

Mission engineers at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in
Pasadena, Calif., recently finished upgrading Curiosity's operating
software following a four-week break. The rover continued monitoring
the Martian atmosphere during the break but the team did not send any
new commands because Mars and the sun were positioned in such a way
the sun could have blocked or corrupted commands sent from Earth.

Curiosity is about nine months into a two-year prime mission since
landing inside Gale Crater on Mars. After the second rock drilling in
Yellowknife Bay and a few other investigations nearby, the rover will
drive toward the base of Mount Sharp, a 3-mile (5-kilometer) tall
layered mountain inside the crater.

JPL manages the Mars Science Laboratory Project, of which Curiosity is
the centerpiece, for NASA's Science Mission Directorate in
Washington.

For more information about the mission, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/msl

To follow the mission on Facebook and Twitter, visit:

http://www.facebook.com/marscuriosity

and

http://www.twitter.com/marscuriosity
Jacques :-)

Online catdlr

« Reply #968 on: 05/09/2013 11:04 pm »
Curiosity Rover Report (May 9, 2013):

Published on May 9, 2013
JPLNews
Curiosity gets new software and new capabilities for the long trek to Mt. Sharp.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Online catdlr

« Reply #969 on: 05/10/2013 07:23 pm »

May 9, 2013

RELEASE : 13-134

NASA Wins Prestigious Aerospace Industry Awards

WASHINGTON -- Two prominent aerospace industry organizations are recognizing the contributions of NASA, especially the achievements of the team that landed NASA's Curiosity rover on Mars in August, with coveted awards.

The National Aeronautic Association (NAA) will present its Robert J. Collier Trophy to the Mars Science Laboratory (MSL) Team of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in Pasadena, Calif., at an event in Arlington, Va., Thursday night. At an event in Washington on Wednesday, the team received the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) Foundation Award.

AIAA also conferred its highest recognition, the title of honorary fellow, on William Gerstenmaier, NASA's associate administrator for human exploration and operations and presented NASA's Associate Administrator for Science, astronaut John Grunsfeld, with its AIAA National Capitol Section Barry Goldwater Educator Award. AIAA recognized two other NASA employees as fellows: Ray G. Clinton of NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Ala., and Laurence D. Leavitt of NASA's Langley Research Center in Hampton, Va.

"It's wonderful to see NASA's people and their accomplishments recognized by the aerospace community," NASA Administrator Charles Bolden said. "In particular, the Curiosity landing was the hardest NASA mission ever attempted in the history of robotic planetary exploration. These prestigious awards are a testament to the dedication and hard work of the entire worldwide team."

The NAA established the Collier Trophy in 1911 and presents it yearly to recognize the greatest achievement in aeronautics or astronautics in America. The AIAA awards recognize the most influential and inspiring individuals in aerospace, whose outstanding contributions merit the highest accolades. Past honorees have included Orville Wright, Neil Armstrong, the team that designed the space shuttle and the astronauts who carried out the first Hubble Space Telescope repair mission in 1993.

The NAA's Collier citation notes the MSL team's "extraordinary achievements of successfully landing Curiosity on Mars, advancing the nation's technological and engineering capabilities, and significantly improving humanity's understanding of ancient Martian habitable environments."

More than 7,000 people in at least 33 U.S. states and 11 other countries have worked on the Mars Science Laboratory mission. Curiosity, the laboratory's centerpiece, carries 10 science instruments to investigate the environmental history inside Gale Crater on Mars. In March, rover scientists announced an analysis of a rock sample collected there shows Mars could have supported living microbes in an ancient freshwater environment. Curiosity's mission is expected to last at least two years.

"The prestigious Collier Trophy is a wonderful recognition for Curiosity, a phenomenal engineering and science achievement that has captured the hearts and minds of children and adults across America and around the globe," said Charles Elachi, director of JPL. "It's an honor to do missions like this one on behalf of NASA and the nation."

Two other teams from JPL that manage NASA spacecraft, the Dawn mission to the asteroid belt and the Voyager mission to interstellar space, were finalists for the 2012 Collier Trophy.

JPL designed, developed and assembled the rover and manages its mission for NASA's Science Mission Directorate in Washington.

For more information about the Collier Trophy, visit:

http://www.naa.aero/html/awards/index.cfm?cmsid=62

For more information about the AIAA awards, visit:

http://bit.ly/12j3ey0

For more about the Mars Science Laboratory mission, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/msl

For information on other NASA missions and programs, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov

- end -

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #970 on: 05/11/2013 03:23 am »
Those wheels have been rolling around in that sandbox for litterly years of testing.

Litterly? Sandbox? :)

I see what you did there.

Happy about the awards but why Gerst? The teams deserve the fellowships
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Online catdlr

« Reply #971 on: 05/16/2013 11:03 pm »
Curiosity Rover Report (May 16, 2013):

Rover Readies for Second Drilling

Published on May 16, 2013
Curiosity prepares for a second drilling and a tutorial on the complicated choreography to get the drill sample to her instruments.

Online catdlr

« Reply #972 on: 05/17/2013 08:25 pm »
News release: 2013-167                                                                   May 17, 2013

Mars Rover Opportunity Examines Clay Clues in Rock

The full version of this story with accompanying images is at:
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?release=2013-167&cid=release_2013-167

PASADENA, Calif. -- NASA's senior Mars rover, Opportunity, is driving to a new study area after a dramatic finish to 20 months on "Cape York" with examination of a rock intensely altered by water.

The fractured rock, called "Esperance," provides evidence about a wet ancient environment possibly favorable for life. The mission's principal investigator, Steve Squyres of Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y., said, "Esperance was so important, we committed several weeks to getting this one measurement of it, even though we knew the clock was ticking."

The mission's engineers at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif., had set this week as a deadline for starting a drive toward "Solander Point," where the team plans to keep Opportunity working during its next Martian winter.

"What's so special about Esperance is that there was enough water not only for reactions that produced clay minerals, but also enough to flush out ions set loose by those reactions, so that Opportunity can clearly see the alteration," said Scott McLennan of the State University of New York, Stony Brook, a long-term planner for Opportunity's science team.

This rock's composition is unlike any other Opportunity has investigated during nine years on Mars -- higher in aluminum and silica, lower in calcium and iron.

The next destination, Solander Point, and the area Opportunity is leaving, Cape York, both are segments of the rim of Endeavour Crater, which spans 14 miles (22 kilometers) across. The planned driving route to Solander Point is about 1.4 miles (2.2 kilometers). Cape York has been Opportunity's home since the rover arrived at the western edge of Endeavour in mid-2011 after a two-year trek from a smaller crater.

"Based on our current solar-array dust models, we intend to reach an area of 15 degrees northerly tilt before Opportunity's sixth Martian winter," said JPL's Scott Lever, mission manager. "Solander Point gives us that tilt and may allow us to move around quite a bit for winter science observations."

Northerly tilt increases output from the rover's solar panels during southern-hemisphere winter. Daily sunshine for Opportunity will reach winter minimum in February 2014. The rover needs to be on a favorable slope well before then.

The first drive away from Esperance covered 81.7 feet (24.9 meters) on May 14. Three days earlier, Opportunity finished exposing a patch of the rock's interior with the rock abrasion tool. The team used a camera and spectrometer on the robotic arm to examine Esperance.

The team identified Esperance while exploring a portion of Cape York where the Compact Reconnaissance Spectrometer for Mars (CRISM) on NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter had detected a clay mineral. Clays typically form in wet environments that are not harshly acidic. For years, Opportunity had been finding evidence for ancient wet environments that were very acidic. The CRISM findings prompted the rover team to investigate the area where clay had been detected from orbit. There, they found an outcrop called "Whitewater Lake," containing a small amount of clay from alteration by exposure to water.

"There appears to have been extensive, but weak, alteration of Whitewater Lake, but intense alteration of Esperance along fractures that provided conduits for fluid flow," Squyres said. "Water that moved through fractures during this rock's history would have provided more favorable conditions for biology than any other wet environment recorded in rocks Opportunity has seen."

NASA's Mars Exploration Rover Project launched Opportunity to Mars on July 7, 2003, about a month after its twin rover, Spirit. Both were sent for three-month prime missions to study the history of wet environments on ancient Mars and continued working in extended missions. Spirit ceased operations in 2010.

JPL, a division of the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, manages the Mars Exploration Rover Project for NASA's Science Mission Directorate. For more about Opportunity, visit: http://www.nasa.gov/rovers and http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov . You can follow the project on Twitter and on Facebook at: http://twitter.com/MarsRovers and http://www.facebook.com/mars.rovers .

Guy Webster 818-354-6278
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif.
[email protected]

Dwayne Brown 202-358-1726
NASA Headquarters, Washington
[email protected]

- end -

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #973 on: 05/17/2013 08:41 pm »

Curiosity prepares for a second drilling and a tutorial on the complicated choreography to get the drill sample to her instruments.

A tutorial? Who is getting a tutorial? Anyone know how to clarify that? I didn't think one typically trained robots unless they're neural network based.
« Last Edit: 05/17/2013 08:41 pm by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7688
« Reply #974 on: 05/19/2013 12:30 am »

A tutorial? Who is getting a tutorial? Anyone know how to clarify that? I didn't think one typically trained robots unless they're neural network based.

My guess would be to execute a pre-determined choreography on drilling into a rock, only that it's a location where there is no rock (or there is a rock but they don't execute a drilling).

Offline Dalhousie

• Liked: 780
  • Likes Given: 1131
« Reply #975 on: 05/20/2013 04:10 am »

It's part of the anthropomorphism that seems to drive representation of these machines.
Apologies in advance for any lack of civility - it's unintended

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7688
« Reply #976 on: 05/20/2013 11:02 pm »
NASA Mars Rover Curiosity Drills Second Rock Target

PASADENA, Calif. - NASA's Mars rover Curiosity has used the drill on its robotic arm to collect a powdered sample from the interior of a rock called "Cumberland."
Plans call for delivering portions of the sample in coming days to laboratory instruments inside the rover. This is only the second time that a sample has been collected from inside a rock on Mars. The first was Curiosity's drilling at a target called "John Klein" three months ago. Cumberland resembles John Klein and lies about nine feet (2.75 meters) farther west. Both are within a shallow depression called "Yellowknife Bay."

The hole that Curiosity drilled into Cumberland on May 19 is about 0.6 inch (1.6 centimeters) in diameter and about 2.6 inches (6.6 centimeters) deep.

The science team expects to use analysis of material from Cumberland to check findings from John Klein. Preliminary findings from analysis of John Klein rock powder by Curiosity's onboard laboratory instruments indicate that the location long ago had environmental conditions favorable for microbial life. The favorable conditions included the key elemental ingredients for life, an energy gradient that could be exploited by microbes, and water that was not harshly acidic or briny.

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/news/whatsnew/index.cfm?FuseAction=ShowNews&NewsID=1475
« Last Edit: 05/20/2013 11:02 pm by robertross »

Online catdlr

« Reply #977 on: 05/20/2013 11:10 pm »
Curiosity Drills Into Mars Again - First Image | Video

Published on May 20, 2013
The Mars Science Laboratory has completed its second drill into the surface of the Red Planet. The drilling target was nicknamed 'Cumberland'.

Credit: NASA / JPL-Caltech / Original Music by Mark Peterson,

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14046
  • Likes Given: 1392
« Reply #978 on: 05/21/2013 05:10 pm »

The "and" is not used well...

The latest curiosity update report ALSO included a tutorial on how samples are moved from place to place by the rover.  It was actually very interesting....

ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline dsmillman

• Liked: 342
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #979 on: 05/27/2013 04:58 pm »
NASA Discusses Curiosity Radiation Findings

May 27, 2013

Trent J. Perrotto
Headquarters, Washington                               
202-358-1100
[email protected]

MEDIA ADVISORY: M13-085

NASA DISCUSSES CURIOSITY RADIATION FINDINGS

WASHINGTON -- NASA will host a media teleconference at 2:30 p.m. EDT Thursday, May 30, to present new findings from the Mars Science Laboratory Radiation Assessment Detector (RAD) aboard the rover Curiosity.

The journal Science has embargoed details until 2 p.m. May 30.

The briefing participants are:

-- Donald M. Hassler, RAD principal investigator and program director, Southwest Research Institute (SwRI), San Antonio
-- Cary Zeitlin, principal scientist, SwRI
-- Eddie Semones, spaceflight radiation health officer, NASA's Johnson Space Center, Houston
-- Chris Moore, deputy director of advanced exploration systems, NASA Headquarters, Washington

For dial-in information, media representatives should e-mail their name, affiliation and telephone number to Trent Perrotto at [email protected] by noon May 30.

SwRI and Christian Albrechts University in Kiel, Germany, built RAD with funding from NASA's Human Exploration and Operations Mission Directorate and Germany's national aerospace research center, Deutsches Zentrum fC<r Luft- und Raumfahrt. NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, a division of the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, Calif., manages the Mars Science Laboratory Project. NASA's Science Mission Directorate in Washington manages the Mars Exploration Program.

Visuals will be posted at the start of the teleconference on NASA's Mars Science Laboratory website at:

http://go.nasa.gov/curiositytelecon

Audio of the teleconference will be streamed live on NASA's website
at:

http://www.nasa.gov/newsaudio

-end-

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight