Author Topic: 1/200 Shuttle Orbiter questions and recommendations  (Read 2564 times)

Offline AstroBeatle

Hey guys, I'm thinking of buying a new shuttle orbiter model (1/144 or 1/200, but preferably 1/200 because I will be moving a few times within the next year). How do the 1/200 orbiters from Revell (Snaptite version of course), Lindberg and Hasegawa differ? Advantages and disadvantages for each? Which of these would you recommend for me?
By the way, I'm a noob modeler and I've completed only one model kit in the past. A year and a half ago I assembled the 1/288 shuttle stack from Academy (after failing and discarding the previous two same kits  :P), which I finished in the style of STS-1. I used permanent marker because I extremely suck at hand painting. The only parts I hand painted are just the grey linings of the delta wings. I included a picture of my completed model in the attachments if that helps you figure out my skill level.
If I get a new shuttle, I will very likely use spray paint but maybe I will use permanent marker or a little bit of hand painting for the finer details.
« Last Edit: 11/22/2017 01:58 pm by AstroBeatle »

Offline thomasafb

• Shuttle Hugger
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 30
Re: 1/200 Shuttle Orbiter questions and recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 11/23/2017 07:45 am »
i built the Hasegawa Shuttle & SCA kit and i liked the orbiter. I remember the Revell version had the PLBD hinges on the outside. Never had the Lindberg kit.
What you might want to consider (especially if u want to avoid dealing with paint) is the recently announced Hobby Master Orbiter. Not a kit, but might be worth a look. http://hobbymastercollector.com/HL1401.html

Bear in mind however, 1/200 is still small. After having built several orbiters in 1/200, 1/144, 1/100 and 1/72, 1/100 seems IMHO to be the best scale in terms of size plus the fact that the Hasegawa kit is superb in its details. No full stack of course, only the orbiter, but looks great as a centerpiece of a space collection.
Visited Shuttles (so far):
OV-104, OV-105

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography