Author Topic: Communicating Visions  (Read 5020 times)

Offline JonSBerndt

• Aerospace Engineer
  • Westminster, CO
    • JSBSim Open Source Flight Dynamics Software Library
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 61
Communicating Visions
« on: 10/09/2006 11:08 pm »
In case you're interested, I've finished the new July/August issue (yeah, I know what month it is) of Horizons, and it is freshly posted:

http://www.aiaa-houston.org/horizons

The "From the Editor" column might generate some heat, so I'm going to grab a cold one, now. :)

Jon

Offline selden

• Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Communicating Visions
« Reply #1 on: 10/10/2006 11:49 am »
The editorial certainly looks reasonable to me, but I'm biased :)

My only quibble is with the doubt expressed about people being serious about relocating to as inhospitable a location as Mars. While a permanent stay may be more than many are prepared for, every year people live for months in an envronment that's just as isolated and almost as inhospitable: the South Pole Station.
Selden

Offline JonSBerndt

• Aerospace Engineer
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #2 on: 10/10/2006 01:15 pm »
selden - 10/10/2006  6:32 AM

The editorial certainly looks reasonable to me, but I'm biased :)

My only quibble is with the doubt expressed about people being serious about relocating to as inhospitable a location as Mars. While a permanent stay may be more than many are prepared for, every year people live for months in an envronment that's just as isolated and almost as inhospitable: the South Pole Station.

During the long Antarctic night, yes, that place is quite isolated, but it's not quite so isolated during the daytime. I've had long discussions with others about this, too. Submariners experience an isolation that can be comparable. My skepticism is aimed at those who would relocate permanently to a place where they will always be isolated with not only the Mother Planet, but also from the host planet itself, due to the inhospitable conditions. The constraints will be real and tangible, the freedoms fewer. There are also several kinds of isolation: on Mars there will be no interactive communications with Earth in the way we are accustomed. There is the knowledge that it will be months and maybe years before special requests for material could be fulfilled. Don't get me wrong, though, I think we can and should (and will) explore Mars in person. For myself, I don't understand why someone would want to live out the rest of their days in an orbiting colony, or on Mars, or anywhere other than this planet.

I'd like to know what personal rewards one would expect, and what they would miss the most. I appreciate your comments. This is always an interesting topic.

Jon

Offline British NASA

• Veteran
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: 10/11/2006 11:09 am »
Hi Jon. Did I read it right that you think NASA TV and NASA.gov are actually doing great and are not responsible for the problem with communicating the VSE? I think they could do a lot more!

Offline JonSBerndt

• Aerospace Engineer
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #4 on: 10/11/2006 12:37 pm »
British NASA - 11/10/2006  5:52 AM

Hi Jon. Did I read it right that you think NASA TV and NASA.gov are actually doing great and are not responsible for the problem with communicating the VSE? I think they could do a lot more!

I had a nice response all written out, but I clicked on an information link and it took me away from this page. When I returned ALL my text was gone. I'm sick!  :(

I'm going to have to take some time to write a response to this one. Will post later.

While I'm doing that, I'd be interested to hear what you think NASA should be doing to better communicate the VSE.

Jon

Offline meiza

• Expert
  • Where Be Dragons
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #5 on: 10/11/2006 01:24 pm »
Not talk about the damn spinoffs as the reason for spaceflight...

Offline JonSBerndt

• Aerospace Engineer
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #6 on: 10/11/2006 01:54 pm »
meiza - 11/10/2006  8:07 AM

Not talk about the damn spinoffs as the reason for spaceflight...

Quick answer: It's not the *reason* for spaceflight, but it is a definite benefit. It is sometimes overplayed, but it can't be ignored.

The Chinese have looked at the space programs of the U.S. and Russia, and decided they had to have one. Why do you think that is?

Jon

Offline HailColumbia

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #7 on: 10/11/2006 02:31 pm »
I do like the idea of the "news reels" before the movies. I seem to remember them doing somthing similar with the mars rovers, made it look like a preview for an action movie. Although I'm not sure if that was actually shown in theaters or just posted online. It is sort of blurring togehter with the IMAX "roving mars" movie.

thats another thing, IMAX, jesus, there used to be some damn good IMAX movies. I must have seen "the dream is alive" half a dozen times. Now, obviously, an IMAX movie is not going to be seen by most people, but once you see it, your hooked, I think its what put me "over the edge" as a kid.

-Steve

Offline JonSBerndt

• Aerospace Engineer
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #8 on: 10/11/2006 04:44 pm »
British NASA - 11/10/2006  5:52 AM

I believe NASA TV exists to provide video content for redistributors (network news, etc.), to provide live coverage of ongoing events, and to provide educational programming. Within the allocated resources, I think these goals are met. As I recall, there have been some productions that dealt with the VSE, and some of the "Video File" bits deal with VSE-related matters.

As for the NASA web presence - which is **huge** - there is a lot of material discussing and promoting the VSE, as well as all other aspects of what NASA does. There are also the public appearances and speeches that promote the Vision and inform about it, and these are archived at the NASA web site.

The SUPPLY [of information] is there.

The VSE is not a religion, it's a long-term business plan. The President has set out the Vision, and NASA is moving to implement that. Nobody needs to beat others over the head with a "VSE message". But, we can play a part: when someone writes an op/ed that is blatantly misleading, we can call them on it - make them back up what they say, or correct it - hold them accountable for what they write. We can volunteer to speak at schools, etc. - kids (and teachers) appreciate that.

I don't think it's accurate or fair to complain that NASA is not doing enough to publicise the VSE. They have made plenty of good material available for those who want it. There are also the news/discussion forums such as this one, NASAWatch.com, Spacetoday.net, etc. that are rich in additional information (pro and con). NASA doesn't need to duplicate that communication avenue. For those who don't care, or think they already know it, or for those who want to be spoon-fed, there's nothing NASA can do to change their minds.

Finally, although it is very important that people understand what goals NASA is pursuing, right now it is progress and results that matter most.

Jon

Offline punkboi

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #9 on: 10/11/2006 05:05 pm »

HailColumbia - 11/10/2006 7:14 AM I do like the idea of the "news reels" before the movies. I seem to remember them doing somthing similar with the mars rovers, made it look like a preview for an action movie. Although I'm not sure if that was actually shown in theaters or just posted online. It is sort of blurring togehter with the IMAX "roving mars" movie. 

The action movie you're probably talking about is the upcoming "Transformers."  In the preview, you see a Mars Rover (incorrectly referred to as the lost "Beagle 2".  Thanks Michael Bay) at the beginning of the trailer, and while it's roving the Martian surface, a huge robot (don't know if it's an Autobot or a Decepticon, haha) stomps on it or something.  I read something about movie audiences not knowing what the heck was going on till the Transformers logo came up on screen.

By the way, I didn't know the Martian sky was blue.  Thanks again, Michael Bay. ;)

Offline Dobbins

• Propellerhead
  • Liked: 5
RE: Communicating Visions
« Reply #10 on: 10/11/2006 05:43 pm »
One thing to keep in mind is NASA's hands are tied by law. Government agencies can't engage in politics and that includes self promotion. NASA gets away with a lot under it's education mandate but the final job of promoting the VSE and other areas belongs to space advocates. Here are some thoughts on space advocacy.

First of all there is no magic bullet that will get everyone to support the VSE or any other program. Even at the height of the Cold War "Beating the Commies in space" didn't garner universal support for the space program. Different people have different concerns. You have to have to have a variety of messages to cover these differing concerns.

One big problem is preaching to the Choir. Far too many space advocates limit their advocacy to space sites where just about everyone is a "member of the choir", that is they already support space exploration. You have to reach those people that never go to sites like NASA Space Flight to increase the support for space exploration.

Avoid "Geek Speak". When you start using terms like "OV-103" and an alphabet soup of acronyms the general public's eyes glaze over and they quickly quit listening to you. Use common terms as much as possible.

Keep the audience in mind. If you are trying to reach a "People" Magazine type audience you are wasting your time discussing a bunch of technical details, you need to talk about things like amusing stories about astronauts or even the astronaut's wives.
John B. Dobbins

Offline HailColumbia

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 10/11/2006 06:37 pm »
punkboi - 11/10/2006  12:48 PM

HailColumbia - 11/10/2006 7:14 AM I do like the idea of the "news reels" before the movies. I seem to remember them doing somthing similar with the mars rovers, made it look like a preview for an action movie. Although I'm not sure if that was actually shown in theaters or just posted online. It is sort of blurring togehter with the IMAX "roving mars" movie. 

The action movie you're probably talking about is the upcoming "Transformers."  In the preview, you see a Mars Rover (incorrectly referred to as the lost "Beagle 2".  Thanks Michael Bay) at the beginning of the trailer, and while it's roving the Martian surface, a huge robot (don't know if it's an Autobot or a Decepticon, haha) stomps on it or something.  I read something about movie audiences not knowing what the heck was going on till the Transformers logo came up on screen.

By the way, I didn't know the Martian sky was blue.  Thanks again, Michael Bay. ;)

haha no, I am aware of that one, There was seriously a Mars rover preview thing, came out when they were aout to land.
-Steve

Offline HailColumbia

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 10/11/2006 06:41 pm »
Ah Ha!

I found it on my hard drive, problem is that I can only seem to post files that are 200K or less.

-Steve

Offline Jeff Bingham

• Extreme Veteran
  • aka "51-D Mascot"
  • Liked: 38
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #13 on: 10/12/2006 04:58 am »
Dobbins - 11/10/2006  12:26 PM

One thing to keep in mind is NASA's hands are tied by law. Government agencies can't engage in politics and that includes self promotion. NASA gets away with a lot under it's education mandate but the final job of promoting the VSE and other areas belongs to space advocates. Here are some thoughts on space advocacy.

First of all there is no magic bullet that will get everyone to support the VSE or any other program. Even at the height of the Cold War "Beating the Commies in space" didn't garner universal support for the space program. Different people have different concerns. You have to have to have a variety of messages to cover these differing concerns.

One big problem is preaching to the Choir. Far too many space advocates limit their advocacy to space sites where just about everyone is a "member of the choir", that is they already support space exploration. You have to reach those people that never go to sites like NASA Space Flight to increase the support for space exploration.

Avoid "Geek Speak". When you start using terms like "OV-103" and an alphabet soup of acronyms the general public's eyes glaze over and they quickly quit listening to you. Use common terms as much as possible.

Keep the audience in mind. If you are trying to reach a "People" Magazine type audience you are wasting your time discussing a bunch of technical details, you need to talk about things like amusing stories about astronauts or even the astronaut's wives.

Excellent points all!!!  Although I would say that NASA's constraints are more in the realm of "hard lobbying" of the Congress. But even there, they can do a lot, as was seen during the efforts to defeat amendments proposed in the Congress to kill the space station virtually every year from 1992 to 2000; NASA played a very active role in those efforts, alongside a coordinated effort by the external "space community." There's an article in the current issue of QUEST magazine that talks about that in some detail ("Space Station: a Laboratory for Policy Sustainment." But that's a bit off-topic for this thread.
Offering only my own views and experience as a long-time "Space Cadet."

Offline Jeff Bingham

• Extreme Veteran
  • aka "51-D Mascot"
  • Liked: 38
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #14 on: 10/12/2006 04:59 am »
Dobbins - 11/10/2006  12:26 PM

Excellent points all!!!  Although I would say that NASA's constraints are more in the realm of "hard lobbying" of the Congress. But even there, they can do a lot, as was seen during the efforts to defeat amendments proposed in the Congress to kill the space station virtually every year from 1992 to 2000; NASA played a very active role in those efforts, alongside a coordinated effort by the external "space community." There's an article in the current issue of QUEST magazine that talks about that in some detail ("Space Station: a Laboratory for Policy Sustainment." But that's a bit off-topic for this thread.
Offering only my own views and experience as a long-time "Space Cadet."

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography