Author Topic: Meteor Strikes Chelyabinsk, Russia  (Read 222509 times)

Offline mr. mark

• Liked: 172
  • Likes Given: 0
Meteor Strikes Chelyabinsk, Russia
« on: 02/15/2013 05:14 am »
A meteor has struck Chelyabinsk inside Russia. Air defenses have hit the meteor.
http://rt.com/news/meteorite-crash-urals-chelyabinsk-283/

« Last Edit: 02/15/2013 05:35 am by mr. mark »

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8582
  • Likes Given: 7675
Re: Meteor Strikes Chelyabinsk, Russia
« Reply #1 on: 02/15/2013 05:52 am »
Here is another from a closer vantage point:

Meteor Hits Russia Giant Meteor shower Over Russia

Published on Feb 14, 2013
Giant Meteor Explodes Over Russia meteorite may be part of Giant Asteroid that nearly Collided with earth Meteor shower reported in eastern Russia

A powerful blast rocked the Russian region of the Urals early on Friday with bright objects, identified as possible meteorites, falling from the sky, emergency officials said.

"It was definitely not a plane," an emergency official told Reuters, without elaborating. "We are gathering the bits of information and have no data on the casualties so far."

No one was hurt in a meteor shower, an emergency official told RIA-Novosti. Local residents said they witnessed burning objects in the sky of the Chelyabinsk and Sverdlovsk regions.

A Reuters witness in Chelyabinsk reported hearing a huge blast early in the morning and feeling a shockwave in a 19-storey building in the town center.

The sounds of car alarms and breaking windows could be heard in the area, the witness said, and mobile phones were working intermittently.

"Preliminary indications are that it was a meteorite rain," an emergency official told RIA-Novosti. "We have information about a blast at 10,000-meter (32,800-foot) altitude. It is being verified."

The trace from a falling object could be seen in Yekaterinburg, some 200 kilometers (125 miles) southeast of Chelyabinsk, another Reuters witness said.
« Last Edit: 02/15/2013 05:55 am by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Bubbinski

« Reply #2 on: 02/15/2013 06:43 am »
Lots of crazy, amazing videos out there.  Apparently an airburst or strike on Chelyabinsk, reports of a zinc factory being damaged and over 100 injured.  Some on Twitter are saying it would have come from the wrong direction for a companion object of DA14.

As far as air defenses shooting it down, I'm not sure how that would even be possible.  Maybe a Russian equivalent of that Air Force 747 with the laser in the nose?  But I'm not sure shooting at it just to break it up into more pieces that hit the ground would be advisable.
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Online mlindner

• Software Engineer
  • Space Capitalist
  • Silicon Valley, CA
  • Liked: 2202
  • Likes Given: 814
« Reply #3 on: 02/15/2013 06:52 am »
Lots of good videos here. Huge explosions, reports of many people injured from falling glass and shockwaves. Meteor boloid was brighter than the sun.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/02/15/breaking_huge_meteor_explodes_over_russia.html
LEO is the ocean, not an island (let alone a continent). We create cruise liners to ride the oceans, not artificial islands in the middle of them. We need a physical place, which has physical resources, to make our future out there.

Online mlindner

• Software Engineer
  • Space Capitalist
  • Silicon Valley, CA
  • Liked: 2202
  • Likes Given: 814
« Reply #4 on: 02/15/2013 06:55 am »
Lots of crazy, amazing videos out there.  Apparently an airburst or strike on Chelyabinsk, reports of a zinc factory being damaged and over 100 injured.  Some on Twitter are saying it would have come from the wrong direction for a companion object of DA14.

As far as air defenses shooting it down, I'm not sure how that would even be possible.  Maybe a Russian equivalent of that Air Force 747 with the laser in the nose?  But I'm not sure shooting at it just to break it up into more pieces that hit the ground would be advisable.

No its most certainly a meteorite. Probably not related to DA14. Different direction of travel (from looking at videos). It's also many hours in advance which puts it in a different orbit.
LEO is the ocean, not an island (let alone a continent). We create cruise liners to ride the oceans, not artificial islands in the middle of them. We need a physical place, which has physical resources, to make our future out there.

Offline Maciej Olesinski

• Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #5 on: 02/15/2013 07:51 am »
I hope this will make humanity working harder in space technologies.

Few links:
Inside:

Explosion:

And another:
« Last Edit: 02/15/2013 07:52 am by Maciej Olesinski »

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3968
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #6 on: 02/15/2013 07:54 am »
I know this is not strictly spaceflight related but it does demonstrate why we need a good early warning system for these object be it on the ground or in space.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2013/feb/15/meteorite-explosion-shakes-russian

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #7 on: 02/15/2013 08:04 am »
There's a thread over in space Science, but I think it might be prudent to merge or move that thread to general or live event, because this could be an event. Especially if they find fragments or the like.

What with the asteroid close encounter tonight and taking a positive from this event, it must be doing a lot for pushing this whole issue up the agenda & maybe as a result some will follow the attention for getting things moving on the early warning front.
« Last Edit: 02/15/2013 08:05 am by Star One »

Offline Damon Hill

• Veteran
  • Auburn, WA
  • Liked: 112
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #8 on: 02/15/2013 08:15 am »
Quite a contrail, too.  Must have been a lot of water and other volatiles, perhaps a small comet?

Tunguska, anyone?

Offline Dalhousie

• Liked: 774
  • Likes Given: 1126
« Reply #9 on: 02/15/2013 08:45 am »
Apologies in advance for any lack of civility - it's unintended

Offline DLR

• Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #10 on: 02/15/2013 08:51 am »
I wonder whether it's connected to the Pope's abdication? :P

In all seriousness, itt shows what kind of energy even a small object will release upon impact. Hope this event lead to further efforts by space agencies to get more serious about asteroid identification and deflection. Deputy Prime Minister Rogozin already mentioned that Russia will look into that further.

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3315
  • Likes Given: 1125
« Reply #11 on: 02/15/2013 09:00 am »
Visible from space.  From ESA via Facebook...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/simon_rp/8474794165/
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline Satori

• Global Moderator
  • Campo do Geręs - Portugal
  • Liked: 1960
  • Likes Given: 1148
« Reply #12 on: 02/15/2013 09:02 am »
The images and videos of this event are amazing. Check at http://zyalt.livejournal.com/722930.html#cutid1

Offline Maciej Olesinski

• Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 15

Offline shuttlelegs

• Regular
  • Gladstone Qld Australia
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #14 on: 02/15/2013 09:18 am »
WOW
that was a close one.

Offline Kaputnik

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 819
« Reply #15 on: 02/15/2013 09:31 am »
Any ideas about what sort of size this was? Smaller than Tunguska?
"I don't care what anything was DESIGNED to do, I care about what it CAN do"- Gene Kranz

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25223
  • Likes Given: 12114
« Reply #16 on: 02/15/2013 09:36 am »
Has to be much smaller than Tunguska. Thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people would be dead if this were Tunguska.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #17 on: 02/15/2013 09:46 am »

Have seen one to two metres mentioned.

Offline Dalhousie

• Liked: 774
  • Likes Given: 1126
« Reply #18 on: 02/15/2013 09:55 am »
All the reports, videos, etc. are from 200-300 km away, nothing from near the imapct site.  At least 500 (mostly minor) injuries so far, but from 250 90 minutes ago.
Apologies in advance for any lack of civility - it's unintended

Online smoliarm

• Moscow, Russia
  • Liked: 716
  • Likes Given: 609
« Reply #19 on: 02/15/2013 09:59 am »

MUCH smaller, fortunately. At Tunguska site, there was area of ~10 km2 with forest burned to ashes.

Interesting detail on trajectory calculations: there is report on ONE MORE similar event (although less violent) some 500 km North-East from Chelyabinsk. It happened almost at the same time, near Tavda village of Tumen' region:
http://www.gazeta.ru/social/news/2013/02/15/n_2756425.shtml
- The locals reported loud rumbling noise, rattling windows, smoke trail.

>>Any ideas about what sort of size this was?
The energy release depends on velocity and angle more than on the size. Without such info, it could be anywhere from kilograms to hundreds of kilograms.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography