Author Topic: Orbital's Antares/Cygnus ORB-2 (CRS-2) July 13, 2014  (Read 81023 times)

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
Re: Orbital's Antares/Cygnus ORB-2 (CRS-2) July 11, 2014
« Reply #80 on: 07/09/2014 06:26 pm »
Mission Update – July 9, 2014

The final cargo for the Orb-2 mission to the International Space Station (ISS) the was loaded into the Cygnus spacecraft early yesterday morning and the hatch was closed. The Antares payload fairing was then istalled in advance of roll out of the rocket to the launch pad which is scheduuled to occur this morning. Orb-2 is the second operational cargo resupply mission under the company’s Commercial Resupply Services (CRS) contract with NASA. The targeted launch time from the Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport at NASA’s Wallops Flight Facility on July 11 will be 1:40 p.m. (EDT).

A launch on July 11 will result in a rendezvous and berthing with the ISS on July 15. The Cygnus spacecraft will deliver 1,657 kg of cargo to the ISS and will be loaded with approximately 1,346 kg of material for disposal upon reentry into Earth’s atmosphere.
Jacques :-)

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: 07/09/2014 06:27 pm »
Orbital Sciences@OrbitalSciences   

Roll-out of #Antares rocket to MARS pad at @NASA_Wallops scheduled for ~12:30 pm EDT. Thunderstorm last night pushed sked back. @NASA #Orb2

Offline Chris Bergin

Here's the associated release:

ISS COMMERCIAL RESUPPLY SERVICES MISSION (ORB-2)

Mission Update – July 9, 2014

Orbital announced today that the launch of Antares for the Orb-2 Commercial Resupply Services mission to the International Space Station has been rescheduled for Saturday, July 12 at 1:14 p.m. EDT. Due to severe thunderstorms in the Wallops area the night of Tuesday, July 8, the rollout of the Antares rocket to its launch pad at the Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport scheduled for this morning was delayed resulting in a compression of the operational schedule leading to the launch. This afternoon, the company’s launch team determined the best course of action would be to postpone the launch one day to allow for normal launch operations processing. Despite the one day schedule slip, Cygnus will still arrive at the ISS on July 15 with berthing scheduled at approximately 7:24 a.m. EDT.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
Re: Orbital's Antares/Cygnus ORB-2 (CRS-2) July 12, 2014
« Reply #83 on: 07/10/2014 07:35 am »

July 9, 2014

NASA TV Coverage Set for Saturday Orbital-2 Mission to Space Station

NASA Television will provide live coverage of the upcoming Orbital Sciences' mission to resupply the International Space Station. Orbital's Cygnus cargo spacecraft is schedule to launch from the Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport's Launch Pad 0A at NASA's Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia on Saturday, July 12 at 1:14 p.m. EDT.

Weather conditions at Wallops Tuesday night delayed the scheduled rollout of Orbital's Antares rocket to the launch pad Wednesday, prompting the company to delay launch by a day.

NASA TV will air a comprehensive video feed of launch preparations and other footage related to the mission beginning at noon. Launch coverage on NASA TV will begin at 12:30 p.m. A post-launch news conference will be held at 2:45 p.m.

On Friday, July 11, media briefings previewing the mission's science cargo and a prelaunch status from Wallops will be broadcast on NASA TV at 4 p.m. and 5 p.m., respectively.

Media also may join the briefings by phone. To obtain dial-in information, media must contact Rachel Kraft at [email protected] with their name and media affiliation no later than 30 minutes before the beginning of each briefing. The public also may ask questions on social media using the hashtag #AskNASA.

The Cygnus will be filled with approximately 3,300 pounds of supplies for the station, including science experiments to expand the research capability of the space station's Expedition 40 crew members aboard the station, crew provisions, spare parts and experiment hardware.

Among the research investigations headed to the orbital laboratory are a flock of nanosatellites designed to take images of Earth, developed by Planet Labs of San Francisco, and a satellite-based investigation called TechEdSat-4 built by NASA's Ames Research Center in Moffett Field, California, which aims to develop technology that eventually will enable small samples to be returned to Earth from the space station. In addition, a host of student experiments are on board as part of the Student Spaceflight Experiment Program, an initiative of the National Center for Earth and Space Science Education and NanoRacks.

This and future commercial cargo resupply flights will ensure a robust national capability to deliver critical science research to orbit, significantly increasing NASA's ability to conduct new science investigations to the only laboratory in microgravity.

If Cygnus launches as scheduled, the spacecraft will arrive at the space station on Tuesday, July 15. Station commander Steven Swanson of NASA and Flight Engineer Alexander Gerst of the European Space Agency will be standing by in the station’s cupola to capture the resupply craft with the station's robotic arm and install it on the Earth-facing port of the station's Harmony module.

NASA TV coverage of capture and installation will begin at 6:15 a.m. on July 15. Grapple is scheduled at approximately 7:24 a.m. Coverage of the installation of Cygnus onto Harmony will begin at 9:30 a.m.

For a full update of media activities and more information on the Orbital-2 mission, visit:                                           

http://www.nasa.gov/orbital

For NASA TV streaming video, downlink and scheduling information, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/nasatv

For video b-roll and media resources on the International Space Station, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/stationnews

For more information about International Space Station, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/station

Offline srepetsk

• Liked: 33
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #84 on: 07/10/2014 12:51 pm »

Offline Chris Bergin

A reminder, we will move to the live launch day thread on Friday night/Saturday morning. Then another live thread for RNDZ and Berthing.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Chris Bergin

PHOTO CUTLINE FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

July 10. 2014

ORBITAL’S ANTARES ROCKET ROLLS OUT TO MID-ATLANTIC REGIONAL SPACEPORT LAUNCH PAD FOR UPCOMING MISSION TO THE INTERNATIONAL SPACE STATION

(Wallops Island, VA 10 July 2014) – Today, Orbital Sciences Corporation’s (NYSE: ORB) operations team rolled out the Antares rocket carrying the Cygnus cargo logistics resupply vehicle for its launch to the International Space Station. The Orb-2 mission is scheduled to launch from the Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport located at NASA's Wallops Flight Facility in Eastern Virginia on Saturday, July 12.

Offline AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 1602
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #87 on: 07/10/2014 01:52 pm »
Another photo from the rollout.

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3364
  • Likes Given: 1139
« Reply #88 on: 07/10/2014 07:25 pm »
CAPCOM stated during the DPC that a reboost scheduled for next Thursday will be tomorrow due to the delay of the Cygnus launch.  Hopefully that launch delay is not a new one from Saturday but there was also a private Mission Director conference before the DPC so I'm getting a little worried something hasn't been announced yet...
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
« Reply #89 on: 07/10/2014 07:33 pm »
CAPCOM stated during the DPC that a reboost scheduled for next Thursday will be tomorrow due to the delay of the Cygnus launch.  Hopefully that launch delay is not a new one from Saturday but there was also a private Mission Director conference before the DPC so I'm getting a little worried something hasn't been announced yet...

The crew just asked CAPCOM to restore the streaming video feed and Houston replied that the Antares is almost vertical so I'm glad I was just being paranoid :)
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8822
  • Likes Given: 7826
« Reply #90 on: 07/10/2014 08:01 pm »
Pre-launch Activities Complete for Supply Mission to ISS

Published on Jul 10, 2014
Orbital Sciences Corporation has completed pre-launch processing and rollout of its Antares rocket and Cygnus cargo craft at Wallops Flight Facility. Launch opportunities for the Orbital-2 mission to the International Space Station begin July 12. Orb-2 is the company's second operational resupply mission to the ISS under its Commercial Resupply Services contract with NASA. The Cygnus spacecraft is delivering almost 33-hundred pounds of cargo, including science experiments to expand the research capability of the Expedition 40 crew onboard the station.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline grythumn

• Liked: 167
  • Likes Given: 246
« Reply #91 on: 07/10/2014 08:27 pm »
So does anyone have a picture of the CRS Orb-2 (the one from Orbital not NASA) that is bigger than the tiny thumbnail they have had on their website for weeks.

Still not very big, or of high quality (click to slightly enlarge).

Orbital just posted a better one:

The gold astronaut emblem on the #Orb2 mission patch honors Janice Voss, former Orbital employee/NASA astronaut http://ow.ly/i/6bSI3

-Bob

Offline srepetsk

• Liked: 33
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #92 on: 07/10/2014 08:30 pm »
More NASA photos of the rocket being raised at the pad:

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/nasahqphoto/sets/72157645203859287/

Online catdlr

« Reply #93 on: 07/10/2014 11:28 pm »
Antares Rocket Raised on Launch Pad

Published on Jul 10, 2014
The Orbital Sciences Corporation Antares rocket, with the Cygnus spacecraft onboard, is seen in this time-lapse movie as it is raised at launch Pad-0A, Thursday, July 10, 2014, at NASA's Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia. The Antares will launch with the Cygnus spacecraft filled with over 3,000 pounds of supplies for the International Space Station, including science experiments, experiment hardware, spare parts, and crew provisions. The Orbital-2 mission is Orbital Sciences' second contracted cargo delivery flight to the space station for NASA. Photo Credit: (NASA/Bill Ingalls)

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Chris Bergin

Now NET Sunday, due to poor weather hampering the pad flow.

Offline Chris Bergin

ISS Commercial Resupply Services Mission (Orb-2)

Mission Update – July 11, 2014

Orbital announced this morning that the launch of the Antares rocket for the Orb-2 Commercial Resupply Services mission to the International Space Station for NASA has been rescheduled for Sunday, July 13 at 12:52 p.m. EDT. Over the past several days, Orbital’s launch team has made great progress in preparing the rocket for the Orb-2 mission, which will be the fourth flight of Antares in the past 15 months.  However, severe weather in the Wallops area has repeatedly interrupted the team’s normal operational schedule leading up to the launch.  As a result, these activities have taken longer than expected.  Orbital has decided to postpone the Orb-2 mission by an additional day in order to maintain normal launch operations processing.  With its launch moved to Sunday, Cygnus is now scheduled to arrive at the ISS on Wednesday, July 16 with grapple by the station’s robotic arm scheduled for approximately 6:37 a.m. EDT.  Cygnus is carrying about 3,300 pounds of supplies for the Station including research investigations, crew provisions, hardware, and science experiments from across the country.

Online Galactic Penguin SST

Missing the World Cup Final by just 2 hours! Phew.....
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
Re: Orbital's Antares/Cygnus ORB-2 (CRS-2) July 13, 2014
« Reply #97 on: 07/11/2014 06:49 pm »
Space Station live update mentioned a science/payload update at 3pm, not sure if that was eastern or central US...

Offline Scylla

• Clinton NC, USA
  • Liked: 1130
  • Likes Given: 150
« Reply #98 on: 07/11/2014 06:52 pm »
Space Station live update mentioned a science/payload update at 3pm, not sure if that was eastern or central US...

3:00 PM Central--4:00 PM ET
I reject your reality and substitute my own--Doctor Who

Online catdlr

« Reply #99 on: 07/11/2014 07:25 pm »
July 11, 2014

MEDIA ADVISORY M14-120

NASA TV Coverage Reset for Sunday Orbital-2 Mission to Space Station

NASA Television will provide live coverage of the upcoming Orbital Sciences' mission to resupply the International Space Station. Orbital's Cygnus cargo spacecraft is schedule to launch from the Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport's Launch Pad 0A at NASA's Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia on Sunday, July 13 at 12:52 p.m. EDT.
Severe weather in the Wallops area throughout the week repeatedly interrupted Orbital’s operations schedule leading up to the launch, resulting in the company deciding to postpone launch to Sunday.

NASA TV will air a comprehensive video feed of launch preparations and other footage related to the mission beginning at 11:30 a.m. Launch coverage on NASA TV will begin at noon. A post-launch news conference will be held about an hour-and-a-half after launch.

On Saturday, July 12, a prelaunch status from Wallops will be broadcast on NASA TV at 1 p.m. A media briefing previewing the science and technology cargo headed to the space station will still occur at 4 p.m. today, as previously planned.

Media also may join the briefings by phone. To obtain dial-in information, media must contact Rachel Kraft at [email protected] with their name and media affiliation no later than 30 minutes before the beginning of each briefing. The public also may ask questions on social media using the hashtag #AskNASA.

The Cygnus will be filled with approximately 3,300 pounds of supplies for the station, including science experiments to expand the research capability of the space station's Expedition 40 crew members aboard the station, crew provisions, spare parts and experiment hardware.

Among the research investigations headed to the orbital laboratory are a flock of nanosatellites designed to take images of Earth, developed by Planet Labs of San Francisco, and a satellite-based investigation called TechEdSat-4 built by NASA's Ames Research Center in Moffett Field, California, which aims to develop technology that eventually will enable small samples to be returned to Earth from the space station. In addition, a host of student experiments are on board as part of the Student Spaceflight Experiment Program, an initiative of the National Center for Earth and Space Science Education and NanoRacks.

This and future commercial cargo resupply flights will ensure a robust national capability to deliver critical science research to orbit, significantly increasing NASA's ability to conduct new science investigations to the only laboratory in microgravity.

If Cygnus launches as scheduled, the spacecraft will arrive at the space station on Wednesday, July 16. Station commander Steven Swanson of NASA and Flight Engineer Alexander Gerst of the European Space Agency will be standing by in the station’s cupola to capture the resupply craft with the station's robotic arm and install it on the Earth-facing port of the station's Harmony module.

NASA TV coverage of capture will begin at 5:15 a.m. on July 16. Grapple is scheduled at approximately 6:37 a.m. Installation coverage of Cygnus onto Harmony will begin at 8:30 a.m.

For a full update of media activities and more information on the Orbital-2 mission, visit:                                           
http://www.nasa.gov/orbital
For NASA TV streaming video, downlink and scheduling information, visit:
http://www.nasa.gov/nasatv
For video b-roll and media resources on the International Space Station, visit:
http://www.nasa.gov/stationnews
For more information about International Space Station, visit:
http://www.nasa.gov/station
-end-

Orbital Sciences Corporation Antares rocket
Orbital Sciences Corporation's Cygnus spacecraft will launch atop an Antares rocket carrying more than 3,000 pounds of supplies to the International Space Station, including science experiments, experiment hardware, spare parts, and crew provisions.
Image Credit: NASA/Aubrey Gemignani

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography