Author Topic: LIVE: Delta IV Heavy - NROL-65 - August 28 2013  (Read 152975 times)

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741
Re: Delta IV Heavy - NROL-65 - Aug 2013
« Reply #20 on: 03/12/2013 12:41 am »
« Last Edit: 03/12/2013 12:44 am by Kabloona »

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3364
  • Likes Given: 1139
« Reply #21 on: 05/02/2013 02:55 am »
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline William Graham

• Liked: 236
  • Likes Given: 109
« Reply #22 on: 05/02/2013 10:46 am »
Payload patch:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NRO-L-65-Sheachadadh-Do-Rudai-DELTA-IV-H-SLC-6-VAFB-ULA-USAF-LAUNCH-PATCH-/221217875930

According to Google, the inscription"sheachadadh do rudai" translates from Gaelic as "deliver your stuff". The tattoo on the Eagle's arm/wing reads "Buttercup" - I'm not sure if that is a "name" for the payload (in the same way L-30 was "named" Pyxis), whether it is decorative, or whether it means something else.

The snake's tail forms the Greek letter omega; I believe that symbolises that this payload will be the last of its kind. KH-11 is by far the most likely candidate - presumably the Atlas V 541s that have started to appear on the manifest with NRO payloads are going to be the new-generation imaging satellites.
« Last Edit: 05/02/2013 10:58 am by William Graham »

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #23 on: 05/02/2013 05:22 pm »
The Delta IV-H is on the pad...

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/delta/d364/rollout.html#.UYHVGoIkdtA

I was curious to note that article states this payload is going into a Polar Orbit as I thought information such as that wouldn't be released on a NRO launch?

Offline William Graham

« Reply #24 on: 05/02/2013 07:34 pm »

I was curious to note that article states this payload is going into a Polar Orbit as I thought information such as that wouldn't be released on a NRO launch?

Probably hasn't been - it can just be assumed - where else is a Heavy going to go from VAFB...

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4673
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #25 on: 05/02/2013 07:56 pm »

Probably hasn't been - it can just be assumed - where else is a Heavy going to go from VAFB...
Retrograde and certain molniya/quasi type orbits via looking at information from multiple user guides for different payloads. For certain inclinations VAFB is better than Kodiak when it comes to certain types of orbits.

However, for this payload and its launcher version I doubt by 2/3 that it will target those orbits, but it also cannot be ruled out. We will have to wait for the Notams I guess. As a pilot, if it is going SSO or polar several route restrictions to airports around LAX go into effect on international Commercial flights traveling over open ocean along/near coast.

Offline a_langwich

• Liked: 212
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #26 on: 05/03/2013 12:23 am »

Retrograde and certain molniya/quasi type orbits via looking at information from multiple user guides for different payloads. For certain inclinations VAFB is better than Kodiak when it comes to certain types of orbits.

However, for this payload and its launcher version I doubt by 2/3 that it will target those orbits, but it also cannot be ruled out. We will have to wait for the Notams I guess. As a pilot, if it is going SSO or polar several route restrictions to airports around LAX go into effect on international Commercial flights traveling over open ocean along/near coast.

Well.  That makes sense and all, but the incontrovertible proof is the Sun on the patch which signifies a sun-synchronous orbit.  ;)  And the 23 rays on the sun must mean that's how many years it has taken to get this bird ready to launch.  "Buttercup" is clearly a reference to the movie The Three Amigos where Steve Martin sings "My Little Buttercup"...so some major component must have been made by a company with Martin in the name.  The 3,3,2 arrangement of stars...satellites in orbital planes?

I can't help but think of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athanasius_Kircher and his approach to Egyptian hieroglyphics.  (What we now translate as "Osiris says," he confidently translated as "The treachery of Typhon ends at the throne of Isis; the moisture of nature is guarded by the vigilance of Anubis.")

Sorry, pardon my cynicism, and carry on the translating--it's fascinating.

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
« Reply #27 on: 05/03/2013 01:24 am »
Payload patch:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NRO-L-65-Sheachadadh-Do-Rudai-DELTA-IV-H-SLC-6-VAFB-ULA-USAF-LAUNCH-PATCH-/221217875930

According to Google, the inscription"sheachadadh do rudai" translates from Gaelic as "deliver your stuff". The tattoo on the Eagle's arm/wing reads "Buttercup" - I'm not sure if that is a "name" for the payload (in the same way L-30 was "named" Pyxis), whether it is decorative, or whether it means something else.

The snake's tail forms the Greek letter omega; I believe that symbolises that this payload will be the last of its kind. KH-11 is by far the most likely candidate - presumably the Atlas V 541s that have started to appear on the manifest with NRO payloads are going to be the new-generation imaging satellites.

Given the weight/lift requirements of the KH-11, isn't more likely it's replacement would use the 551 since it has the greatest capacity short of the the D-IVH?
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline William Graham

« Reply #28 on: 05/03/2013 11:22 am »
Payload patch:

Given the weight/lift requirements of the KH-11, isn't more likely it's replacement would use the 551 since it has the greatest capacity short of the the D-IVH?

NROL-29, which seems likely to have been an FIA-O, was manifested to use a 521. Besides, there are no 551s on the Vandenberg manifest at the moment - there are a couple of 541s, reportedly for LEO launches.

Offline jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
  • Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
    • Jonathan's Space Report
  • Liked: 1290
  • Likes Given: 775
« Reply #29 on: 05/03/2013 01:59 pm »
Payload patch:

Interesting - we've seen eagles and we've seen snakes, but I don't recall seeing both on the same patch?  Eagle holding the snake - could the snake be a secondary payload?
-----------------------------

Jonathan McDowell
http://planet4589.org

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
« Reply #30 on: 05/05/2013 03:29 am »
rollout photos...

http://spaceflightnow.com/delta/d364/rollout/

That beast is huge when you compare the people to each stage  :D

(It's a ULA image so I think it's good to attach)

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
« Reply #31 on: 05/05/2013 03:41 am »
The upper stage cover was removed (or fell off  ;D)...

Is that the H2 or O2 tank that's visible on the upper stage?

Is there an interstage (spacer) on the payload/fairing when it's installed?  There doesn't seem to be much clearance above the tank that's visible..

« Last Edit: 05/05/2013 03:44 am by Targeteer »

Offline Nick L.

• Elite Veteran
  • A unique little aerospace company
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #32 on: 05/05/2013 04:29 pm »
That's the LH2 tank. Looks like they put the cover back on before going vertical though.

And yes, there is a payload attach fitting (usually looks like a black truncated cone, though this payload might have a different design) that goes between the upper stage and the payload and gives extra clearance above the tank.
"Now you may leave here for four days in space, but when you return it's the same old place..."

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #33 on: 05/06/2013 12:57 pm »
Payload patch:

Interesting - we've seen eagles and we've seen snakes, but I don't recall seeing both on the same patch?  Eagle holding the snake - could the snake be a secondary payload?

ELINT subsatellite perhaps as was seen with the KH-9 program?

Offline William Graham

« Reply #34 on: 05/06/2013 06:07 pm »
Payload patch:

ELINT subsatellite perhaps as was seen with the KH-9 program?

It is possible, however there hasn't been an SSF launch for almost 30 years - the last was USA-2 back in 1984. It is conceivable that the satellites known as "Bernie" or "Singlet" continued the programme, but that still leaves a 20 year gap, and that programme appeared to be cancelled in 1995 with three satellites still to launch. It looks pretty dead to me - I can't see it coming back.

Also, since I strongly suspect that the omega symbolises the last KH-11, if the eagle is holding the snake that would make the snake (the KH-11) the secondary payload - a description which doesn't quite fit a 17-tonne IMINT bird.
« Last Edit: 05/06/2013 06:10 pm by William Graham »

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
« Reply #35 on: 07/25/2013 10:39 pm »
The "spacecraft" (not payload ???) was mated 24 July according to this ULA release

http://www.ulalaunch.com/site/pages/News.shtml#/147
« Last Edit: 07/25/2013 10:41 pm by Targeteer »

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #36 on: 07/26/2013 01:42 am »
The "spacecraft" (not payload ???) was mated 24 July according to this ULA release

So was the WGS-6 spacecraft on the 23rd.  What is the big deal?

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #37 on: 07/26/2013 03:51 am »

I've been looking, but can't find a consistent differentiation between "spacecraft" and "satellite".  Some definitions claim that a "spacecraft" can propel itself while a "satellite" simply drifts in an orbit, but that seems an outdated differentiation.  Others say that "spacecraft" go beyond earth orbit while "satellites" stay in earth orbit, but both are "satellites" of something (Earth or Sun, etc.).  I typically use "spacecraft" to refer to crewed machines and "satellite" for unmanned orbiters, but that's just me.

I think it is clear that "payload" refers to the non-rocket working mass that a launch vehicle delivers aloft.   

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 07/26/2013 03:52 am by edkyle99 »

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
« Reply #38 on: 07/26/2013 03:56 am »
There hadn't been any update since the roll-out so I passed it on when I saw one especially since any updates are likely to be rare concerning this launch.

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
« Reply #39 on: 07/26/2013 04:00 am »

I've been looking, but can't find a consistent differentiation between "spacecraft" and "satellite".  Some definitions claim that a "spacecraft" can propel itself while a "satellite" simply drifts in an orbit, but that seems an outdated differentiation.  Others say that "spacecraft" go beyond earth orbit while "satellites" stay in earth orbit, but both are "satellites" of something (Earth or Sun, etc.).  I typically use "spacecraft" to refer to crewed machines and "satellite" for unmanned orbiters, but that's just me.

I think it is clear that "payload" refers to the non-rocket working mass that a launch vehicle delivers aloft.   

- Ed Kyle

My point was that spacecraft implies A satellite not several, revealing the payload to some degree.  Although when I think about it, spacecraft can be plural as well. I have as much trouble believing spacecrafts is correct as I do aircrafts  ;D

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography