Author Topic: Star Wars: The Last Jedi  (Read 19507 times)

Offline Scylla

• Clinton NC, USA
  • Liked: 1130
  • Likes Given: 150
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
« on: 06/07/2016 03:32 pm »
A little early to start a thread for this but, I couldn't resist posting this. Besides with Star Wars Celebration in less than a month, Episode VIII stuff will soon start dropping anyway.

Coming out in the next Mad Magazine.
http://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/

The First Order Wants You! Do you have what it takes to be a Stormtrooper?
« Last Edit: 12/16/2017 11:06 pm by gongora »
I reject your reality and substitute my own--Doctor Who

Offline Scylla

• Clinton NC, USA
Re: STAR WARS:EPISODE VIII
« Reply #1 on: 01/23/2017 04:31 pm »
Title for Episode VIII has been released.

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8792
  • Likes Given: 7818
« Reply #2 on: 01/23/2017 08:30 pm »
The new Star Wars movie finally gets a name

CNET

Published on Jan 23, 2017
Lucasfilm revealed the official title of the sequel to "The Force Awakens" on the starwars.com website, along with its December release date.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline kch

• Liked: 496
  • Likes Given: 8807
« Reply #3 on: 01/23/2017 08:39 pm »
Title for Episode VIII has been released.

Well, 'eck -- I *was* really looking forward to "The Force Hits The Snooze Bar" ... but this'll work, too.  ;D

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #4 on: 01/23/2017 08:52 pm »
Red lettering that's a rarity.

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #5 on: 01/26/2017 12:36 pm »
The red lettering is an obvious gesture towards the 'dark episode of this trilogy' expectations.

From what I've heard (and this is mostly rumour) it's going to at least explain what Luke did for the last twenty+ years after his dad popped his clogs.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline Scylla

• Clinton NC, USA
« Reply #6 on: 01/26/2017 04:06 pm »
Preview of upcoming interview of Rian Johnson in Empire magazine.
http://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/rian-johnson-last-jedi-interview/

How are things going on Episode VIII?

Great! We’re in the thick of editing, really digging into it. It’s taking shape and I’m very excited.

Name three non-Star Wars films you watched in preparation.

Twelve O’Clock High was a big touchstone, for the feel and look of the aerial combat as well as the dynamic between the pilots. Three Outlaw Samurai for the feel of the sword-fighting, and the general sense of pulpy fun. And To Catch A Thief was a great film to rewatch, for the romantic scale and grandeur.

What are your memories of the first day of shooting?

Our first day of shooting was actually several months before principal photography began: we had three days on Skellig Michael island. So not only was it day one of Star Wars on this incredible natural location, but because the island was so inaccessible it was a very stripped-down, run-and-gun crew. Pretty much the perfect start to the whole adventure.

What is the hardest thing about writing Star Wars dialogue?

I found myself constantly wanting to push modern idioms into the dialogue, and sometimes that can work, but you have to be very careful. If you go too far you can break that Star Wars spell. The other challenge is the tech talk, which has to be simultaneously complex enough to sound real and conceptually simple enough to follow. The original films were brilliant at that.

You played Imperial Officer In Firing Chamber in Rogue One. What was that experience like?

It was so much fun. I was jealous of my producer Ram [Bergman] — he got to wear the full Daft Punk helmet. Also it was great because we knew we couldn’t get cut out of the movie! The ONE THING they absolutely have to do is fire the Death Star!

What surprised you most about directing a Star Wars film?

I guess the biggest surprise was the intimacy of the process. It’s huge, sure, and it’s filled with pressures great and small. But at the end of the day, it boils down to the same things as the smaller films we’ve made: telling a story we care about with a camera and some actors. And a Wookiee.

Offline Scylla

• Clinton NC, USA
Re: STAR WARS:THE LAST JEDI
« Reply #7 on: 04/14/2017 04:05 pm »
TRAILER

« Last Edit: 04/14/2017 04:07 pm by Scylla »

Offline Scylla

• Clinton NC, USA
« Reply #8 on: 07/15/2017 07:26 pm »
Star Wars: The Last Jedi Behind The Scenes

Offline Scylla

• Clinton NC, USA
« Reply #9 on: 10/10/2017 12:40 am »
Theatrical Poster

Offline Scylla

• Clinton NC, USA
« Reply #10 on: 10/10/2017 02:15 am »
Star Wars: The Last Jedi Trailer (Official)

Offline sanman

• Liked: 1312
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #11 on: 10/10/2017 10:48 am »
Just speculating, but the trailer seems to show some kind of connection between Rey and Kylo, just from the way it cuts back and forth between them.
So are Rey and Kylo siblings separated at birth, the way Luke and Leia were?
Kylo is Han and Leia's son, so it seems odd that Han and Leia wouldn't know that they had another daughter. We saw some brief flashbacks from Rey in Force Awakens, of her being abandoned on Jakku. Who abandoned her - was it Luke?

When Luke said he'd seen such raw power before, I'm assuming he was referring to Kylo while speaking to Rey.
Kylo does seem to embody that kind of raw impulsiveness. And of course the deep voice we first hear at the start of the trailer is Snoke speaking to Kylo.

So are Rey and Kylo polar opposites, like yin and yang? I remember when journalist Bill Moyers interviewed George Lucas, he did explicitly refer to Lucas' use of Asian themes relating to balance and harmony.
On the other hand, if Rey does have a connection to Kylo, then it might cause her to doubt her own character (ie. is she doomed to go to the Dark Side like Kylo did?)

Maybe, it will instead be Rey who redeems Kylo from the Dark Side.

Offline llanitedave

• Nevada Desert
  • Liked: 1545
  • Likes Given: 2052
« Reply #12 on: 10/11/2017 02:54 pm »
And they lived happily ever after...
"I've just abducted an alien -- now what?"

Offline sanman

« Reply #13 on: 10/12/2017 01:38 am »
Haha - well, it may take multiple movies for harmony to be restored in the Force.

The trailer seems to foreshadow Leia's death at the hands of son Kylo. Wow, both parents must have wondered what they did wrong in bringing up their son. Was it just a case of too many midichlorians maketh the kid go mad?

And yet Rey seems to have that comparable adeptness with the Force, while having reasonable control over herself. And then we see glimpses of her being put under duress, like post-Dagobah Luke at the end of ESB.

Force Awakens was called a re-tread of the original Star Wars, with Abrams said to be re-hashing the same basic formula as the original in order to revive the saga.
Will The Last Jedi similarly be a re-tread of ESB?

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
« Reply #14 on: 10/12/2017 02:08 am »
Disney/Lucasfilm would never admit it; but they appear to be riffing on some of the 'Expanded Universe' story ideas from the novels and comics since 1991 when Timothy Zahn kicked it off with "Heir To The Empire". The Expanded Universe books were actually quite good - for the most part - but lost their way a little with the 'New Jedi Order' series and the Yuuzhan-Vong invasion. Ben Solo/Kylo Ren is a bit of a composite character, reminding me strongly of a cross between Jacen Solo/Darth Cadeus and Kyp Durron. The only difference is how their characters ended. I found it a bit implausible in the novels how Kyp Durron went on a Dark Side rampage, killing masses of people with a super weapon then gets redeemed later - back to the 'Light Side' - and all is forgiven?! Surely he'd be executed or locked up forever for war crimes? Jacen Solo/Darth Cadeus had a much unhappier ending, having a close loved one have to be the one who finished him - but his death revealed a huge prophecy that didn't get to be portrayed as the Disney acquisition halted the story lines from the Expanded Universe.

I think the Rey and Ben Solo characters are well done; but it's going to take awhile for them to become 'beloved canon characters'.
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline sanman

« Reply #15 on: 10/12/2017 05:27 am »
I remember reading Timothy Zahn's books when they first came out - Admiral Thrawn was a great villain, as a 2nd-tier baddy who'd been waiting in the wings like Tarkin.

One thing I haven't liked about the current revival is that they've given us a universe where the Empire still magiconveniently seems like it's in charge, as if the events in Return of the Jedi barely mattered, and we're told to accept it without any explanation or backstory. ("The Emperor is Dead! Long Live the Emperor!")

If you compare that with A New Hope, at least then the uninitiated audience had no prior expectations stemming from previous installments of the saga which did not as yet exist. I feel like they should have put out some supporting material, perhaps on other media (comics, video shorts, etc) to put the new continuity in context. Abrams simply tried to recapitulate the same expositional style as the original New Hope, without seeing that the audience is no longer the same as they were for the original.

I wish George Lucas hadn't sold the franchise, or that he could have been kept in charge instead of JJ Abrams - or that he could have at least been kept on as an advisor. Just as Brannon Braga seems to know more about the spirit of Star Trek than Abrams does, likewise Lucas knows more about the soul of Star Wars. By comparison, Rogue One seemed more inspired.

I like the idea of Luke Skywalker now coming full circle and becoming the teacher, as Obi-Wan and Yoda were before him. For nostalgia's sake, I'd like to see him once again doing battle as a Jedi, even piloting an X-wing. Hopefully, we'll at least get some scene where the old master impresses the young student - like when Kenobi chops off the thug's arm in the Cantina, or when Yoda raises the X-wing. If Abrams intends to do a re-tread of ESB, then he has to give us a comparable scene like the one on Dagobah - which was one of the best scenes in the entire trilogy. But the thing is that Rey doesn't come across as a skeptic who has to be won over, the way Luke was towards Yoda. So far, they haven't exposed enough flaws in her to set up a convincing rite of passage.
« Last Edit: 10/12/2017 06:35 am by sanman »

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
STAR WARS:THE LAST JEDI
« Reply #16 on: 10/12/2017 07:52 am »
Is this birth of the so called grey Jedi those who sit in the middle of the force. More realistic as characters being neither totally good nor bad but a mix of the two.

Tom Baker’s character in Rebels sat in the middle of the force and could seemingly use abilities from both sides.
« Last Edit: 10/12/2017 07:54 am by Star One »

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #17 on: 10/13/2017 08:17 am »
Tom Baker’s character in Rebels sat in the middle of the force and could seemingly use abilities from both sides.

But, significantly, showed all the bad qualities of both sides of Force adepts too - The irritating smug passivity of Lightsiders and (in the season 3 finale) the uncontrollable and omnidirectional homicidal rage of darksiders.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
« Reply #18 on: 10/13/2017 10:24 am »
As I was discussing with someone earlier; Rey's origins seem to point to four possibilities - 1: She's a Kenobi descendant, 2: She's Ben Solo's secret, lost twin (Meh!), 3: She's a reincarnation of 'The Chosen One' (slight Meh) or 4: - my idea - she's a Palpatine descendant. This would be my favourite idea. Of course, the fifth alternative is that she's just a very gifted nobody.

I remember George Lucas saying more than once in interviews that 'Star Wars is about family'. I don't know how much Disney is going to pay attention to that, but it could be a clue.
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline sanman

« Reply #19 on: 10/13/2017 11:35 am »
As I was discussing with someone earlier; Rey's origins seem to point to four possibilities - 1: She's a Kenobi descendant, 2: She's Ben Solo's secret, lost twin (Meh!), 3: She's a reincarnation of 'The Chosen One' (slight Meh) or 4: - my idea - she's a Palpatine descendant. This would be my favourite idea. Of course, the fifth alternative is that she's just a very gifted nobody.

I remember George Lucas saying more than once in interviews that 'Star Wars is about family'. I don't know how much Disney is going to pay attention to that, but it could be a clue.

Well, it's hard for me to believe that those flashback scenes of little Rey being left on Dakku were just gratuitous. She's definitely not some nobody with inconsequential origins. Somebody was leaving her there on Dakku, and it wasn't the dead Obi-Wan (although we did hear Obi-Wan's voice beckoning her at the start of her flashback.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rey_(Star_Wars)#Creation_and_casting

Former Star Wars: Episode IX director Colin Trevorrow has stated that the answer of Rey's origin will be "deeply and profoundly satisfying" and that Rey is "important in this universe, not just in the context of The Force Awakens, but in the entire galaxy. She deserves it." Ridley said that she knows who Rey's parents are.

I dunno - maybe she's a reincarnation of Anakin's dead mother? That could be satisfying.

But there are claims that she's the reincarnation of someone else:

http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/16/star-wars-episode-8-leak-reveals-reys-origins-and-connection-to-the-jedi-5947639/

« Last Edit: 10/13/2017 11:39 am by sanman »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography