Author Topic: SpaceX Layoffs  (Read 85731 times)

Online Chris Bergin

Re: SpaceX Layoffs
« Reply #40 on: 07/24/2014 11:11 am »
Here is a little something more than rumor on some restructuring at McGregor in Texas...
http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/SpaceX_Announces_Restructuring_Layoffs_At_Local_Facility_115958794.html

That article is from 2011 ;)
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #41 on: 07/24/2014 11:23 am »
There's nothing here. This story is bunk. Ya poke it and nothing comes back.
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline swervin

• Viper Driver
  • GA
  • Liked: 44
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #42 on: 07/24/2014 11:35 am »
"layoff" is a lot nicer than termination for lack of performance.

Personally, if I were laid off, and I deep down thought it was due to (my) poor or lack of (expected) performance, I wouldn't be highlighting myself on social media...personally.

I have no idea of knowing why these lay offs are or are not occurring, nor am I saying job performance is the reason, only making an observation.

Although, the demographic at SpX and their likely addiction to social media / telling the world their problems via Facebook or Twitter, and taking pictures of their grilled cheese sandwich, posting it and thinking anyone cares...does make the relative lack of discussion odd.

Splinter

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81666
  • Likes Given: 36933
« Reply #43 on: 07/24/2014 11:47 am »
...does make the relative lack of discussion odd.

Not if the number of layoffs is not a significant percentage. Given SpaceX's size, even dozens of people leaving - especially when spread across departments and sites - might be barely noticeable to many SpaceX staff.

Of course it's very tough on those people directly affected.

Offline Harold KSC

• Liked: 11877
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #44 on: 07/24/2014 11:49 am »
There's nothing here. This story is bunk. Ya poke it and nothing comes back.

Tell that to the guys who were let go at the start of the week from their Florida operations.

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
« Reply #45 on: 07/24/2014 11:53 am »
Tell that to the guys who were let go at the start of the week from their Florida operations.

I would if anyone would say who they are.. this is all just chinese whispers.

Offline newpylong

• Liked: 200
  • Likes Given: 343
« Reply #46 on: 07/24/2014 12:10 pm »
Chinese whispers? You people are too funny. Can't even come to accept that SpaceX lays people off.

Just got off the phone from a friend from Hawthorne who got canned. He was hired fairly shortly out of college as an ME.

How many more first hand or second hand accounts do you need?

Offline Harold KSC

• Liked: 11877
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #47 on: 07/24/2014 12:11 pm »

I would if anyone would say who they are.. this is all just chinese whispers.

I don't appreciate you calling me a liar. I know some of this people.

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
« Reply #48 on: 07/24/2014 12:16 pm »
Just one first hand account would do it. Instead we get endless random people who never have anything to say 99 percent of the time telling us to trust them. Meanwhile hundreds of people who are supposedly looking for work now have nothing to say.

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
« Reply #49 on: 07/24/2014 12:19 pm »
I don't appreciate you calling me a liar. I know some of this people.

I appreciate that. I think you've actually got the most credibility of anyone I've heard this from so far, but even you can't corroborate the "10% across the board" part.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #50 on: 07/24/2014 12:20 pm »
Oh guys, this is going to run away with itself.

Here's what we know.

Some SpaceX people have been let go (I've seen it mentioned by various people) so we know that. However, that happens, at every company.

What we are finding shaky is that it's 10 percent of the workforce. That simply can't be true. The claim by the SpaceXer on Facebook is very likely to be an exaggeration. That happens on the internet. I also find some of the "reasons" associated with the claims to be shaky too.

Also, these companies have turnover anyway, and per Glassdoor, SpaceX is not immune from this. That's very likely because it's actually hard work. I know some people who joined SpaceX thinking it would be 9-5 and akin to working in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Guess what, it's long hours, hard work.

(Having noted that, I'd personally sell my grandmother to work with spacecraft, so it's about individuals and expectations and everyone is different).

Now I don't want this site's forum (despite it not being the source of this) fueling any exaggerations, so I'm locking this and will only reopen if a media site or someone of profile confirms some actual numbers or an actual downsizing of note.

« Last Edit: 01/12/2019 10:49 am by Chris Bergin »
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
« Reply #51 on: 07/26/2014 03:17 am »
Quote from: Doug Messier
Statement on SpaceX layoffs from communications director John Taylor: I can tell you that there was an annual review cycle completed recently, along with some rebalancing of resources. Our resulting headcount reduction was less than 5 percent. SpaceX expects to see net positive employee growth in 2014 of approximately 20 percent. - via Twitter

A very big thank you to Doug for getting an official response from SpaceX.

Edit: Hmm.. Amy Svitak is claiming the scoop on Aviation Week's blogs.
« Last Edit: 07/26/2014 03:41 am by QuantumG »

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14046
  • Likes Given: 1392
« Reply #52 on: 07/26/2014 04:08 am »
Upon further review of the data and careful consideration of the information, we are pleased to confirm that it has been determined beyond reasonable doubt that the sky, in fact, has not fallen.
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline Davinator

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 77
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #53 on: 07/26/2014 09:36 am »
Thank goodness for Chris for getting it right in between the internet rumor of 10 percent and the "I've heard nothing, so it's false" posts.

I hope the people let go find employment in the industry.
« Last Edit: 07/26/2014 09:37 am by Davinator »

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
« Reply #54 on: 07/26/2014 11:14 am »
It was false. There wasn't any layoffs, let alone 10%, let alone "across the board". The entire thing was just the standard fat trimming performance review process and rebalancing of headcount. The original report was uninformed and instantiated. It's exactly why Chris takes rumors to SpaceX PAO for clarification before going public with them, which is what should have happened here.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #55 on: 07/26/2014 11:29 am »
Probably some confusion over the word layoffs, but less than five percent losing their jobs, while still a lot of people and unfortunate for them, is a lot better than 10 percent.

That it was from the performance review and there's a goal of a net increase still (noting they are at about 3,000?) is the more important thing.

In other words, no sky falling, as MeekGee says. Thanks for finding the official response, QG.

>communications director John Taylor<

I hope that's a new guy and not a replacement. I would expect new guy, as PAO really is all hands to the deck there with all the launches and stuff.

Offline mfck

• Office Plankton Representative
  • Israel
  • Liked: 254
  • Likes Given: 222
« Reply #56 on: 07/26/2014 11:33 am »
Upon further review of the data and careful consideration of the information, we are pleased to confirm that it has been determined beyond reasonable doubt that the sky, in fact, has not fallen.
If only rockets could have been powered by rumors, oh what a bright future space exploration would have had then...

Offline Dave G

• Liked: 2127
  • Likes Given: 2021
« Reply #57 on: 07/26/2014 01:34 pm »
For those who aren't aware, some companies have an annual review process that singles out the lowest performing 3-5% of their workforce.  These employees are usually given a strong written warning, and if their performance does not measurably improve within a specific time period, they are let go. Intel is one such company.

Offline ArbitraryConstant

• Liked: 628
  • Likes Given: 311
« Reply #58 on: 07/26/2014 09:43 pm »
It's incredibly difficult to straight-up fire employees for performance reasons.  Performance (under-performance) has to be documented.  The employee must be given a chance to improve his/her performance.  Lack of improvement must be documented.  And then after a year or so, the termination procedure can begin.
FWIW, I think all states where SpaceX has a large workforce have more or less "at-will" employment laws, where either party can terminate employment without extensive justification.

Offline ThereIWas3

• Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 338
« Reply #59 on: 07/26/2014 09:53 pm »
"Performance laddering" is a nasty thing. Microsoft did it for years.  Each manager has to rank all his employees on a bell curve.  Then when the layoffs come, the bottom 5% get the axe.  Even if the bottom 5% in, say, accounting, are doing their jobs better than the bottom 15% in marketing, both get hit equally.  It really can kill morale.

Hopefully SpaceX is smarter about this.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography