Author Topic: EXOS aerospace  (Read 120104 times)

Offline EXOSBrett

Re: EXOS aerospace
« Reply #80 on: 03/22/2017 02:43 pm »
There is also this payload users guide:

http://exosaero.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/EXOS-PUG-Export-Cleared-Version-1.0.pdf

A bit dated ?

Slightly outdated, but it is ITAR scrubbed so there isn't much detailed information in that copy.

Offline EXOSBrett

« Reply #81 on: 03/22/2017 02:46 pm »
We did do a pressure test on our tanks yesterday. Everything went smoothly and as expected. We basically do a hydrostatic test with water. After we are done, we need to remove all the water from the inside, so we put it in the oven and cook it out.

Offline EXOSBrett

« Reply #82 on: 03/22/2017 09:38 pm »
Nose cone is here back in the shop. We should have the tail fins in the coming days.

Offline EXOSBrett

« Reply #83 on: 03/24/2017 12:45 pm »
We have tentatively scheduled our first hover test for April 28th. 

Looking like we are getting our launch license for May 20th.
« Last Edit: 03/24/2017 12:45 pm by EXOSBrett »

Offline savuporo

• Liked: 1002
  • Likes Given: 342
« Reply #84 on: 03/24/2017 08:08 pm »

This bad boy is gonna hover ? Crane suspended or free flight VTVL style ?
Orion - the first and only manned not-too-deep-space craft

Offline EXOSBrett

« Reply #85 on: 03/27/2017 02:41 pm »

This bad boy is gonna hover ? Crane suspended or free flight VTVL style ?

It's tethered down and held up via crane. Does a full flight. It's very cool to see.

Offline EXOSBrett

« Reply #86 on: 03/29/2017 01:49 pm »
We took a pounding here at EXOS HQ last night. Big storm with straight line wins blew in around 3am. Got a little sporty but no major damage to report.

SARGE is coming together. Its awesome to see how much is accomplished each day.

If you want to see more pictures, we posted a bundle more to our IG page @exosaero and I tend to post a lot more to my personal IG page @txveno.

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 868
  • Likes Given: 548
« Reply #87 on: 03/30/2017 01:04 am »
Looking great, Brett!  ..and thanks for posting pics of your progress.  Looking forward to seeing flame coming out of that nozzle.

An interrelated question:  Why the pro speaker box?? :)

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline EXOSBrett

« Reply #88 on: 03/30/2017 01:10 am »
Looking great, Brett!  ..and thanks for posting pics of your progress.  Looking forward to seeing flame coming out of that nozzle.

An interrelated question:  Why the pro speaker box?? :)

We built those wireless speakers for Texas Speed Syndicate that comes and races at the airport we are at a few times a year. We were getting them charged up and making sure they work for the upcoming TSS weekend.

Offline crab nebula2

• Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #89 on: 04/03/2017 05:18 pm »
Hi, I assume EXOS is somewhat of a reincarnation of the old Armadillo.  I am so pleased to see you guys back in action.  Some questions: How does EXOS achieve attitude control.  I recall the old Armadillo had Cannards that gave them problems during trans-sonic flow. 
Are there any of the old Armadillo guys working at EXOS and did you inherit most of the old Armadillo equipment and their digs at the Caddis Mills Airport?
Thanks

Offline EXOSBrett

« Reply #90 on: 04/03/2017 07:13 pm »
Hi, I assume EXOS is somewhat of a reincarnation of the old Armadillo.  I am so pleased to see you guys back in action.  Some questions: How does EXOS achieve attitude control.  I recall the old Armadillo had Cannards that gave them problems during trans-sonic flow. 
Are there any of the old Armadillo guys working at EXOS and did you inherit most of the old Armadillo equipment and their digs at the Caddis Mills Airport?
Thanks

For the most part, yes. There are a few original Armadillo guys who have since retired or are off doing other things, such as Carmack who is busy with Oculus Rift.

The Cannards are gone, they were removed on Stig-B. Altitude is controlled by calculating the ballistic trajectory at all times and the engine is stopped when the altitude will exceed 100 kilometers.

Exos purchased all assets from Armadillo as a formality. We are in the same facility as before.

Offline crab nebula2

• Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #91 on: 04/04/2017 12:08 am »
Thanks for the info Brett.  With regard to rocket attitude control, I'm interested in how you keep the rocket flying straight if the engines are firing when you leave the atmosphere.  Is the engine gimbaled or is the rocket in a slow spin such as to maintain straight flight under power.

Offline EXOSBrett

« Reply #92 on: 04/04/2017 02:52 am »
Thanks for the info Brett.  With regard to rocket attitude control, I'm interested in how you keep the rocket flying straight if the engines are firing when you leave the atmosphere.  Is the engine gimbaled or is the rocket in a slow spin such as to maintain straight flight under power.

We use a gimbal. It's a very sound and proven system in regards to our rockets. I will try to get some pictures of it tomorrow.

Offline EXOSBrett

« Reply #93 on: 04/04/2017 01:29 pm »

Offline Nomic

• Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #94 on: 04/04/2017 02:34 pm »
Electric actuators on the gimbal?

Thanks for the updates, always good to see these things up close.

Offline EXOSBrett

« Reply #95 on: 04/04/2017 06:18 pm »
Here is a youtube video using a new 360Fly for an engine test we did a few weeks back.

you can use your mouse to move the view around. It's 360 degrees.
« Last Edit: 04/04/2017 06:19 pm by EXOSBrett »

Offline EXOSBrett

« Reply #96 on: 04/25/2017 01:40 pm »
Been busy here at Exos HQ and neglected this forum.

We are in the final stage of assembling the rocket and will be conducting a tethered test in the coming weeks.

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
« Reply #97 on: 04/26/2017 06:40 am »
Making good progress!  I'm just curious:  What were the plane models stuck up on the wall used for?

Here's a quote for the guy in the middle: "Okay.. so which way is up?!??"  ;D
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline EXOSBrett

« Reply #98 on: 04/26/2017 09:16 pm »
Making good progress!  I'm just curious:  What were the plane models stuck up on the wall used for?

Here's a quote for the guy in the middle: "Okay.. so which way is up?!??"  ;D

Interesting story about those. They guy we rent the building from owns the largest .mil drone collection in the world. He has been involved in the drone program in one form or fashion since the Korea war and to this day still services .mil drones from around the world.

Those hanging on the wall are target drones used to shot down with various munitions. Next door we actually have some significantly bigger ones. I will try to snap a picture of them tomorrow along with various other things we have in the hanger.

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
« Reply #99 on: 04/30/2017 11:44 pm »

... such as Carmack who is busy with Oculus Rift.

Mostly with lawsuits:

Very sad.  :(

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography