Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 (F9-B1038.1) West Coast JRTI return - Coverage  (Read 24236 times)

Online Chris Bergin

Thread for B0138.1's return to the West Coast. Note, this is becoming "routine" <---yes, I said that, so they may in future become part of the mission update threads. But for now....

NSF Threads for Formosat-5 : Discussion / Updates / L2 Coverage July-August / ASDS / Party
NSF Articles for Formosat-5:
   SpaceX to static fire Formosat-5 Falcon 9, aims for another ASDS landing
   Falcon 9 successfully launches Taiwan’s Formosat-5

Successful launch on August 24 at 1151 PDT/1851 UTC on Falcon 9 (core 1038) from SLC-4E at Vandenberg.  Successful ASDS landing.

Other SpaceX resources on NASASpaceflight:
   SpaceX News Articles (Recent)  /   SpaceX News Articles from 2006 (Including numerous exclusive Elon interviews)
   SpaceX Dragon Articles  /  SpaceX Missions Section (with Launch Manifest and info on past and future missions)
   L2 SpaceX Section

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online Chris Bergin

7 AM local on Monday morning is the current ETA.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline pb2000

• Calgary, AB
  • Liked: 759
  • Likes Given: 237
NRC Quest seems to be about 315km from port and I would assume the tug in front of her (BETTY R GAMBARELLA) has an ASDS in tow. At current speed 38 hours to port is what I calculate.

https://www.vesselfinder.com/?imo=9271195

~220km out now
Launches attended: Worldview-4 (Atlas V 401), Iridium NEXT Flight 1 (Falcon 9 FT), PAZ+Starlink (Falcon 9 FT), Arabsat-6A (Falcon Heavy)
Pilgrimaged to: Boca Chica (09/19 & 01/22)

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81637
  • Likes Given: 36932
Just from eyeballing MarineTraffic.com BETTY R GAMBARELLA appears to be about 12 NM due South of port and heading in at a bit under 3 knots.

Online Chris Bergin

And you all know, but "this is for you new people" - photos and such on Twitter. Always hard link the tweet to ensure correct accreditation.

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 3112
  • Likes Given: 3861
https://www.vesselfinder.com/?imo=9271195

Looks like it's parallel parking right now.  Awaiting photographic documentation.
Wildly optimistic prediction, Superheavy recovery on IFT-4 or IFT-5

Offline Helodriver

• Liked: 5971
  • Likes Given: 700
I was at the Port of Los Angeles this morning for the return of JRTI carrying Formosat Falcon 9 core 1038.1. Attached are a few phone pix, a more complete high quality set of images will come later today.

Core is very clean with only a light soot coating and no evidence of erosion or heat damage. Even the aluminum grid fins are mostly still white.

NRC Quest did not seem to be carrying fairing halves.
« Last Edit: 08/28/2017 05:03 pm by Helodriver »

Offline FutureMartian97

I was at the Port of Los Angeles this morning for the return of JRTI carrying Formosat Falcon 9 core 1038.1. Attached are a few phone pix, a more complete high quality set of images will come later today.

Core is very clean with only a light soot coating and no evidence of erosion or heat damage. Even the aluminum grid fins are mostly still white.

Can I post these images in the Recovery thread on Reddit? Giving credit of course.

Offline Helodriver

These images can be shared with credit to NSF and Helodriver.

Online Chris Bergin

Your phone pics are better than what I'd manage with thousands of bucks of camera gear ;D

Tweeted one with a link back to your post for accreditation and additional exposure. Thanks Helo! :)

Offline AndyX

• Liked: 375
  • Likes Given: 594

Really nice photos! I'm trying to think how you got that vantage point? Pier?

Online matthewkantar

• Liked: 2506
  • Likes Given: 2211

Really nice photos! I'm trying to think how you got that vantage point? Pier?

Poster's handle is "Helodriver."

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
Some nice close-ups from Shorealone Films on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/81789298@N05/

A selection attached.

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
Yes that interstage looks very pristine, virtually brand new... So that extra long entry burn certainly made a difference here. (They had lots of extra margin to use)

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
Couple of SpaceX return shots

Offline Helodriver

So here are the as promised high resolution shots of the return.

Was in LA on other business so decided to extend the visit to catch the JRTI arrival, but wound up extending it more than expected as at 3.2 knots, it takes a long time to get anywhere at sea.

The day dawned clear, but 30 minutes after sunrise the marine layer pushed inshore coming right to Angels Gate and giving the initial sightings of the SpaceX Navy a misty light. Watching the tall core loom out of the morning fog over the lighthouse was visually interesting to say the least.

NRC Quest arrived first and no fairings were visible, although the stern had scaffolding platforms and winch equipment not usually aboard for Dragon recoveries. With the canvas shelter, it is possible recovered parts could have been under cover.

JRTI came into view and made its way to a spot about 1/2 mile from the berth where it lingered for about an hour as the tugs shortened the tow providing ample opportunity to observe the Falcon 9 core in silhouette from multiple angles. The stately pace of the return provided much time for artistic framing in addition to event documentation. :)

Never before photographed higher angle aspect looking down on the deck was achieved by shooting from the superstructure of the WWII cargo vessel Lane Victory, docked near the SpaceX berth as a museum ship. Thanks to the staff letting me in a few hours before opening time. That vantage point was perfect.

The rocket was easily in the best shape I'd seen for any landed core. The extra long reentry burn proved its worth by minimising heating.

One never quite gets used to how big these are. Always good to see it in person.

Also never quite realized just how many sea gulls and shorebirds there are until I noticed they photobombed just about every shot.  ;)

The final shot is a multi megapixel composite good for detailed mapping of the boosters surface features. It was moving very slowly away during the sequence ans this gives a slightly perspective warped image.

Online darkenfast

• Liked: 1829
  • Likes Given: 8739
Wonderful set of photos (even the ones with no rocket!)!  I thought you had spotted a traditional Grand Banks Dory until I had enlarged the picture and saw the freeing ports.  That's a Surf Dory, designed for competitive events off a beach, running out and in through the waves (or a nice dawn patrol thought the port).
Writer of Book and Lyrics for musicals "SCAR", "Cinderella!", and "Aladdin!". Retired Naval Security Group. "I think SCAR is a winner. Great score, [and] the writing is up there with the very best!"
-- Phil Henderson, Composer of the West End musical "The Far Pavilions".

Offline Helodriver

And the rest. Last ones were cut off from last post.

Offline kevinof

• Somewhere on the boat
  • Liked: 1869
  • Likes Given: 1262
Great shots helo. Great detail. Looks in perfect condition - just refuel and fly it again :-)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography