Author Topic: French magazine "espace et exploration" article on Iraqi space program?  (Read 3303 times)

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7822
  • Likes Given: 2
Is anybody familiar with the French magazine "espace et exploration"?

I've never seen it, but this month's issue contains an article by Theo Pirard on the Iraqi space program of the late 1980s and early 1990s.  I'm currently writing about that and would like to get a copy of the article (or preferably a translation).

Offline Skylab

• Liked: 71
  • Likes Given: 55
It might cost you some effort to obtain a copy, but this is their site:

http://www.espace-exploration.com/presentation/home.html

Global delivery is usually only for subscribers.

Offline Skylab

• Liked: 71
  • Likes Given: 55
On second thought, a second approach: it seems to be sold at kiosks, so perhaps someone you know in France or Belgium (yep, that limited) can help you out.

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
Dunno anybody in France, and certainly not Belgium.  Is Belgium even a country anymore?  I thought they were splitting up into a bunch of warring city-states...

Here's a picture of the Iraqi satellite, by the way.

Offline Archibald

• Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 1096
Espace et exploration is a brand new magazine - as old as December 2010.
It suceeded Espace Magazine, a publication I liked very much but that unfortunately went brankrupt in 2008. Same publisher shoot again, for the third time in the decade - they are stubborn.

Times are hard for aerospace publications - only Air&Cosmos (aircrafts with a bit of space matters) and Ciel and Espace ( mostly astronomy) resist.
I can certainly find the magazine, read the thing, and try a translation. Drop me a mail if you're interested.

Cheers !
« Last Edit: 05/04/2011 06:34 am by Archibald »
Han shot first and Gwynne Shotwell !

Offline Nicolas PILLET

• Gien, France
    • Kosmonavtika
  • Liked: 670
  • Likes Given: 134
Send me a message, I will scan the article and send you.
Nicolas PILLET
Kosmonavtika : The French site on Russian Space

Offline Apolloman

• France
    • De la Terre à la Lune
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Espace et exploration is a brand new magazine - as old as December 2010.
It suceeded Espace Magazine, a publication I liked very much but that unfortunately went brankrupt in 2008. Same publisher shoot again, for the third time in the decade - they are stubborn.

Times are hard for aerospace publications - only Air&Cosmos (aircrafts with a bit of space matters) and Ciel and Espace ( mostly astronomy) resist.
I can certainly find the magazine, read the thing, and try a translation. Drop me a mail if you're interested.

Cheers !

Sorry, but... Let's be clear on this subject :
"Espace et Exploration" is not the same publisher...
I know because I write articles for this magazine! ;)

Espace et Exploration : A Capella Edition

Espace Magazine : société RAS (Groupe TIQAP)

Best

« Last Edit: 05/07/2011 05:11 pm by Apolloman »
Paul Cultrera
webmaster du site http://www.de-la-terre-a-la-lune.com/
consacré au programme Apollo.

Le savoir est un trésor à partager avec tout le monde...

Offline Archibald

• Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 1096
Désolé ! I stand corrected... I wish this new magazine plenty of success.
Han shot first and Gwynne Shotwell !

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
Thanks, Nicolas, for sending me the article.  My French is not very good, but it appears that the author used the same two sources that I did for my article, so there is nothing that I don't have.  My article will appear on Monday.  Here is the opening:

Iraqi Bird: Beyond Saddam’s Space Program

Launching a satellite into orbit has long been a status symbol.  Although countries have been doing this for the past five decades, only a small percentage of the countries around the world are capable of such a feat.  More of them are capable of building their own satellites, but even this number is relatively limited.  Because of its rarity such an accomplishment still has a certain allure for less-developed nations whose leaders use such achievements to demonstrate their country’s technological sophistication to the world and their own prowess to their populace, even if—perhaps especially—that populace has no say in their country’s choice of government.  During the 1980s the government of Saddam Hussein sought to develop an indigenous space program and then ran head first into external political roadblocks that made this impossible.  Until recently, the details of this effort have been obscure and unknown to the world.  A few years ago a United Nations arms control report revealed some information on Iraqi efforts in the late 1980s to develop a rocket capable of launching a satellite (See: “Saddam’s Space Program,” The Space Review, October 26, 2009).  Now, new details have emerged about Iraqi efforts in the period 1988-1991 to develop small satellites to fly atop those rockets.
« Last Edit: 05/08/2011 12:56 pm by Blackstar »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography