Author Topic: NASA KSC Human Mars Rover Concept  (Read 15565 times)

Offline TripD

• Peace
  • Liked: 851
  • Likes Given: 677
Re: NASA KSC Human Mars Rover Concept
« Reply #20 on: 05/14/2017 05:16 am »
I keep waiting for Megatron to assemble.

Offline RanulfC

• Heus tu Omnis! Vigilate Hoc!
  • Liked: 900
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #21 on: 05/16/2017 06:38 pm »
Compare it to "The Martian" rover:

Peh! Like people would want to go all the way to Mars and then look down. :-)

Uh, yes they actually would :) After all that's where the surface you are driving over IS after all, not to mention the rocks, terrain and obstacles you need to avoid and/or watch for.

While the "rover" has some interesting features, (detachable power-module, or other "trailer" bits) the design isn't suited for, well, suited use. Ingress and egress are going to be a significant pain as is visibility in anything less than shirt sleeves and the interior... Well, as a PR "stunt" it's all right but not anything serious.

Randy
From The Amazing Catstronaut on the Black Arrow LV:
British physics, old chap. It's undignified to belch flames and effluvia all over the pad, what. A true gentlemen's orbital conveyance lifts itself into the air unostentatiously, with the minimum of spectacle and a modicum of grace. Not like our American cousins' launch vehicles, eh?

Offline Kaputnik

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 722
  • Likes Given: 821
« Reply #22 on: 05/17/2017 09:45 pm »
The company started with an electric motor, solar panels, and a 700-volt battery and built the vehicle around that
Somebody needs to retake their high school physics...
"I don't care what anything was DESIGNED to do, I care about what it CAN do"- Gene Kranz

Offline KelvinZero

• Liked: 887
  • Likes Given: 201
« Reply #23 on: 05/18/2017 10:54 am »
Uh, yes they actually would :) After all that's where the surface you are driving over IS after all, not to mention the rocks, terrain and obstacles you need to avoid and/or watch for.
This is the internet so no one can ever tell if the other person is kidding. I was kidding.

Of course you want to look at the ground. You just hundreds of millions of miles and then spent huge effort to travel a tiny bit more, a millionth of your total journey, to put yourself right on the ground.

Of course you want to look at the ground, not just the sky.

Offline Chris_Pi

• Wisconsin
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 100
« Reply #24 on: 05/20/2017 06:19 am »
The detachable back end actually looks like it might be useful. But I'm wondering what movie's props department they borrowed the thing from?

Doesn't look like a good design if you want some interior volume other than the seats, And there's tons of window area but not real great visibility. Lots of weight and heat loss. Can't go all the way to Apollo LM windows, But better than that can't be too tough. And maybe standardize on two or three pane sizes so there's replacement parts for everything without a 1:1 spares count?

Offline mike robel

• Extreme Veteran
  • Merritt Island, FL
  • Liked: 369
  • Likes Given: 260
« Reply #25 on: 05/20/2017 07:36 am »
When I saw the movie, this is the first thing I thought of.  It has similar shapes, for different reasons of course, same type of tire arrangement, if you cut off the back of the armor compartment and made it a flatbed it would be very similar.

Getting into/out of these with helmet, flak vest, other gear you wear, weapon, wearing one's NBC protection suit, can be a real bear through doors and hatches, but dropping the rear ramp is pretty easy.  Of course, one's gear once you are inside (I made my tank crews wear flak vests inside though) make life easier.

Some AFV are airtight with filtration systems, but of course, they don't have to carry their own air.

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7827
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #26 on: 05/20/2017 04:35 pm »
An all-black vehicle in the Florida sun. That will be pleasant.

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7827
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #27 on: 05/20/2017 05:43 pm »
http://www.nbcnews.com/mach/innovation/mars-concept-vehicle-ready-go-roading-through-red-dust-n761771

This Mars Rover Concept is Ready to Go Off-Roading Through Red Dust

by Tariq Malik, Space.com

A sleek, black, concept Mars rover is displayed at the Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, Florida. The rover will tour the East Coast this summer for the center's "Summer of Mars" program. Kennedy Space Center
SNIP

According to Business Insider, the concept rover was designed by Marc Parker of Parker Brothers Concepts. It's 23 feet long (7 meters), 13 feet wide (4 m), 11 feet tall (3.3 m) and weighs an estimated 5,000 lbs. (2,268 kilograms), Business Insider reported.

A quick look at the Visitor Complex's Summer of Mars website revealed a tantalizing clue. The rover is part of the complex's new Astronaut Training Experience attraction that's opening in the fall. And the rover is not staying in Florida this summer! Like any good rover, it's hitting the open road."Check back here for cities and dates of the rover's East Coast tour this summer!" the website reads.
« Last Edit: 05/20/2017 05:43 pm by Blackstar »

Offline Space Ghost 1962

• Whatcha gonna do when the Ghost zaps you?
  • Liked: 2925
  • Likes Given: 2247
« Reply #28 on: 05/20/2017 06:42 pm »
Getting into/out of these with helmet, flak vest, other gear you wear, weapon, wearing one's NBC protection suit, can be a real bear through doors and hatches, but dropping the rear ramp is pretty easy.  Of course, one's gear once you are inside (I made my tank crews wear flak vests inside though) make life easier.
When you're receiving fire, the desire is for smaller doors/windows, even if its difficult egress/ingress to get there.

And yes, very wise to wear the vests/other inside - things get through. Does remind of pressure suits a bit, with all of your other kit/weapons bulking up your movements, and limiting range of action.

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1809
  • Likes Given: 1302
« Reply #29 on: 05/25/2017 05:55 am »
When you're receiving fire, the desire is for smaller doors/windows, even if its difficult egress/ingress to get there.

Realistically anything bigger than a 20 mm cannon will knock out most armored personnel carriers or light scout vehicles. So the bigger doors were actually better for the crew of a knock out vehicle to bailed out before getting toasted.

By the way the NBC suit was usual rubber and flak jackets was usually cover with nylon fabric. So quick egress from a knock out AFV while kitted up is a high priority for AFV crews.

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4164
  • Likes Given: 6078
« Reply #30 on: 05/25/2017 05:10 pm »
And this is related to OT and spaceflight how?
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline mike robel

• Extreme Veteran
  • Merritt Island, FL
  • Liked: 369
  • Likes Given: 260
« Reply #31 on: 05/25/2017 05:20 pm »
Only by my mention that the Martian Mars Rover reminded me of the German APC and getting in and out of it with all your gear on could be relatively difficult as an analog for using space suits.

Offline spacenut

• East Alabama
  • Liked: 2587
  • Likes Given: 2895
« Reply #32 on: 05/25/2017 05:28 pm »
The detachable trailer concept is not a bad idea.  It could have fold out solar panels and battery.  A rover could carry one out about half way of its range and drop it off and return.  It would then fold out and charge itself.  Rover could bring another one out the next day or so, drop it off and the same location, then reattach to the original one.  Then travel further out.  Rechargable trailer unites could be scattered along a route to a remote location.  The rover could pick them up and drop them off as it extends its range from the base camp or colony.

Trailers could also be used by the same rovers to haul ice back to a processing facility or haul excavation equipment for ice mining or other minerals needed by the colony.   

However, as someone said, rover can be taller to handle EVA suits for EVA's outside the rover.

Offline TakeOff

• Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 115
« Reply #33 on: 06/06/2017 08:30 pm »
Instead of the detachable compartment, one could have two rovers.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography