Author Topic: External Tank 94 (ET-94) to complete Endeavour exhibit  (Read 86811 times)

Offline PhotoEngineer

• SoCal
  • Liked: 81
  • Likes Given: 245
Re: External Tank 94 (ET-94) to complete Endeavour exhibit
« Reply #120 on: 05/23/2016 07:13 pm »
Great fun watching the move and Helodriver it was great to meet you, looking forward to seeing you at future events.

Some more pictures: http://www.spaceflightinsider.com/gallery/nggallery/events/ET-94-journey-to-California-Science-Center/page/2

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 1884
« Reply #121 on: 05/25/2016 12:14 am »
Awesome pictures from everyone!  I am waiting for one of you to say that the other one actually capture them on film by accident!

I hope to see this display once it is finally set up, but a part of me still wishes this tank would have been used on a flight, and we had ended up on STS-136!

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8785
  • Likes Given: 7815
« Reply #122 on: 06/03/2016 08:09 pm »
time lapse video...

Space shuttle fuel tank arrives in Los Angeles

The Planetary Society

Published on Jun 3, 2016
The last remaining unflown space shuttle external fuel tank, ET-94, arrived at the California Science Center in Los Angeles on May 21 after a 41-day journey that began at NASA's Michoud Assembly Facility in New Orleans.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline TheFallen

• Liked: 77
  • Likes Given: 159
« Reply #123 on: 06/05/2016 11:56 pm »
Went to the California Science Center again this morning to attend a free screening of the IMAX film "A Beautiful Planet," as well as to check out ET-94 at its current location...now fenced off so it can begin undergoing refurbishment
« Last Edit: 06/06/2016 01:12 am by TheFallen »

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4672
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #124 on: 06/06/2016 02:02 am »
Went to the California Science Center again this morning to attend a free screening of the IMAX film "A Beautiful Planet," as well as to check out ET-94 at its current location...now fenced off so it can begin undergoing refurbishment
Well its the last flight rated ET on earth, but there is still the ET STA at MAF that can be reassembled with a bit of work and given away. Smithsonian Institute has discussed some interest in the last few years in acquiring ET STA for future display. They have yet to start fundraising to bring it to the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center | National Air and Space Museum at Dulles International Airport, Chantilly, VA. There is also not currently an assigned space for it.

Offline collectSPACE

• The Source for Space History & Artifacts
  • Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
  • Liked: 287
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #125 on: 06/06/2016 02:45 pm »
The tank parts at Michoud are from the GVTA (Ground Vibration Test Article). The STA is in Green Cove Springs, Fla., awaiting funding for transport and display by the Wings of Dreams Museum.

MPTA (Main Propulsion Test Article) is at U.S. Space & Rocket Center in Huntsville, Ala. on display with Pathfinder.
« Last Edit: 06/06/2016 02:45 pm by collectSPACE »

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4672
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #126 on: 06/07/2016 03:23 am »
The tank parts at Michoud are from the GVTA (Ground Vibration Test Article). The STA is in Green Cove Springs, Fla., awaiting funding for transport and display by the Wings of Dreams Museum.

MPTA (Main Propulsion Test Article) is at U.S. Space & Rocket Center in Huntsville, Ala. on display with Pathfinder.
thanks for the correction

Offline sghill

• United States
  • Liked: 2092
  • Likes Given: 3200
« Reply #127 on: 06/26/2016 08:07 pm »

I can confirm the ET's still in Green Cove Springs rusting unhappily in a marina on it's trailer.

I came driving around a corner on my way home from St. Augustine today and was all: "HOLY SHEEP DIP! WTF IS A SHUTTLE ET DOING ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD IN BUMBLF*CK FLORIDA?!?"

Here's a recent news blurb about it:
http://www.spaceflightinsider.com/organizations/nasa/failure-to-launch-full-scale-shuttle-external-tank-stuck-at-green-cove/

Once this thing is refurbished, I'd love to see doors at the fore and aft with a gangway running through the middle. It'd be great to tour one of these giants from the inside!
« Last Edit: 06/26/2016 08:16 pm by sghill »
Bring the thunder!

Offline collectSPACE

• The Source for Space History & Artifacts
  • Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
  • Liked: 287
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #128 on: 06/27/2016 06:01 pm »
I can confirm the ET's still in Green Cove Springs rusting unhappily in a marina on it's trailer.

ET-STA was on outdoor display for 19 years prior to leaving for Green Cove in April 2013. Aluminum doesn't rust; it may have corroded, but any corrosion would likely have been halted years ago.

Aluminum is actually very prone to corrosion. However, aluminum corrosion is aluminum oxide, a very hard material that actually protects the aluminum from further corrosion. Aluminum oxide corrosion also looks a lot more like aluminum (dull gray to powdery white in color), so it isn't as easy to notice as rusted iron.
« Last Edit: 06/27/2016 06:05 pm by collectSPACE »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography