Author Topic: NASA TV HD Thread  (Read 370610 times)

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171
NASA TV HD Thread
« on: 01/21/2008 02:24 pm »
Just noticed this little ditty in the ISS daily report:

MPC HDTV Update:   Dan Tani was lauded by the ground for his great work on 1/17 verifying the MPC HDTV (Multi-Purpose Converter/High-Definition TV) capability all the way to the NASA TV satellite.  The test was very successful, yielding an overall end-to-end audio latency (delay) for the MPC System of 3.2 seconds.  This is the delay from the crewmember to JSC/MCC-H to NASA Headquarters and out to the NASA TV satellite in high definition, i.e. the sum total of the audio delay the interviewer and interviewee will "feel" during an interactive event.  This Japan/JAXA originated system will be utilized soon for downlink messages and in-flight interviews based on client capability.

2010/02/07 - Admin update

I tried to split the two merged topics as good as possible, but it might be possible that a couple of messages remain in the wrong thread.

« Last Edit: 02/08/2010 10:57 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline brahmanknight

• I don't have all the right answers, but I do have all the right questions
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 168
Re: NASA TV HD Thread
« Reply #1 on: 01/21/2008 03:19 pm »
Nice!

Offline simonbp

• Science Guy
  • Liked: 314
  • Likes Given: 183
« Reply #2 on: 01/21/2008 03:51 pm »
The Japanese are doing well with HDTV in space; first they put one around the moon, and now they've got one on station..

Simon ;)

Online ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1561
  • Likes Given: 1749
« Reply #3 on: 01/21/2008 08:10 pm »
And last week we noticed that the NASA HD service is back in the multiplex again (the C-band media/cable feed on AMC-6).  It didn't have any bits assigned, but it was defined -- service number 26 or 106, depending on how you look at it.  I haven't had a chance to properly check it out though.  Now THAT would be a truly awesome way for NASA to properly launch their HD service -- with live video from ISS!  Getting closer!

Thanks rdale for the news.
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Online ChrisC

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 01/29/2008 09:54 pm »
It appears that NASA TV did some testing with their AMC-6 multiplex yesterday (Monday) and today (Tuesday).  Starting Monday morning, only the public channel was there, with the media, education and internal channels dropped, leaving a whole lot of empty space.  I had assumed that they would be running HD in there, but I never saw it.  It's possible that they switched over to their single-channel backup system while they overhauled the main multi-channel system.  Just guessing!

PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Offline lcs

• Liked: 57
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #5 on: 01/30/2008 02:49 am »
You say HD was not on the 106 channel?  Did you do a transponder rescan?

Online ChrisC

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 01/30/2008 03:33 am »
I've been watching the multiplex live in a transport stream analyzer, no "rescan" required (it's constantly scanning).  There was only one SD service all day Monday and Tuesday, which is what I was talking about, and certainly no 106 channel.  True, there WAS a 106 at some point in the past, like weeks ago, but it's not there now.  Now it's back to the regular 4 x SD services.  If you think that there's HD up somewhere, I'm all ears.

Offline lcs

• Liked: 57
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #7 on: 01/30/2008 12:59 pm »
Slightly off topic, but here is a MSFC tech report by Rodney Grubbs on the Nov 2006 HDTV broadcast:

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20080002893_2008001393.pdf

Online ChrisC

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 01/30/2008 03:21 pm »
Fantastic, thanks lcs!

I've seen the presentation (twice) by Rodney Grubbs and Walt Lindblom on the ascent video upgrades (including the WB-57 airborne video).  But this one is new to me.  Makes me wish I could find the time to go to the SMPTE conferences every year instead of just occasionally.

Online ChrisC

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 02/04/2008 06:29 pm »
The word I've got is that the HD coverage will officially launch with the STS-123 mission in March.

Offline rdale

• Lansing MI
« Reply #10 on: 02/04/2008 06:34 pm »
As in an official "NASA HD" channel, or just adding that special channel you've found during missions?

If the former - I'll start a letter writing campaign to DTV/Echostar now!

Online ChrisC

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 02/05/2008 02:32 am »
I don't know.  Will it be a 24/7 HD simulcast of NASA TV, like so many other HD channels?  Or just selected mission coverage?  I just don't know.  Only 5.5 weeks until we find out, though!

Online ChrisC

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 03/11/2008 08:02 pm »
Well, the STS-123 launch has come and gone, no HD feed in sight.  Maybe we'll see something start up during the mission ...

Offline Patriot1776

• Big Linux User
  • North Carolina, USA
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #13 on: 03/11/2008 09:23 pm »
In any case, I'm not going to benefit from it.  Me and my landlord are too cash-strapped to get HDTV's, so we're staying SD right now.

Online ChrisC

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: 04/18/2008 06:27 pm »
It looks like things have moved ahead a bit on this front.  NASA will be airing HD views of Earth on Tuesday in recognition of Earth Day.  I'm told it's a one hour loop of material, with commentary on what you're seeing. See press release below.

For those of you about to ask how you can see this, please note that this is on the C-band satellite feed that originates from NASA, so it's basically intended for media organizations.  You can see it if you have a Big Ugly Dish in your yard (not DirecTV/Dish) but otherwise yer out of luck and at most you can hope for a downloadable movie file from the internet later.

MEDIA ADVISORY: M08-081

NASA TO BROADCAST EARTH VIEWS IN HIGH DEFINITION TELEVISION

HOUSTON -- Since humans first flew in space, nothing has captivated astronauts more than the view of home out the window of their spacecraft. In honor of Earth Day, April 22, NASA will make those views available to people here on Earth with an event highlighting imagery taken by astronauts and the science behind it.

For the first time ever, NASA Television will air a special hour-long broadcast of views of Earth taken in High Definition, or HD, by astronauts on past space shuttle and International Space Station missions.

The special HD broadcast will air between 6 a.m. and 8 a.m. EDT on Friday, April 18, and replay at the same time on Monday, April 21. It will air every hour from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Tuesday, April 22.

The Friday HD broadcast will feature a silent version of the Earth views. The broadcasts on Monday and Tuesday will include a discussion of the views by Dr. Justin Wilkinson, a scientist with the Crew Earth Observations Office at NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston.

The footage also will air on standard NASA TV during regularly scheduled Video File broadcasts. For technical information on how to receive the special broadcast in high definition, and for NASA TV streaming video, downlink and scheduling information, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/ntv

Offline rdale

• Lansing MI
« Reply #15 on: 04/18/2008 07:26 pm »
Special Earth Day HD Programming:
Program = 105 (HQ5), Video PID = 0x0057 decimal = 87,
Audio PID = 0x0059 decimal = 89, AC-3 PID = 0x0058 decimal = 88

Online ChrisC

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 04/22/2008 04:03 pm »
It's running all day today.  It's impossibly beautiful.

Online ChrisC

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 04/22/2008 09:11 pm »
It's encoded at 12 megabits, and they've dropped the Education Channel to make space, as they did for the October launch.

The video was rather glitchy this afternoon, perhaps they need to reset the encoder.  Update:  looks like they fixed it during one of the breaks.

The AC-3 audio (#1, PID 88) wasn't working for me, but the PCM audio (#2, PID 89) was.  Once I got the audio working, I could hear the commentary by "Dr. Justin Wilkinson, a scientist with the Crew Earth Observations Office at NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston."  I could not tear myself away from it, and transcribed it:

west coast of Madagascar
north coast of Australia incl Greet (sic?) Island
central Pacific atolls, perhaps Bora Bora
coast of Namibia
Persian Gulf and Zagros mountains of Iran
Kamchatka peninsula
Tsingtao peninsula with town of Shenyang
east coast of Kamchatka peninsula with volcanoes
circular feature called "Richat Structure" in Mauritania
Tassili Hills in eastern Nigeria with impact crater and dune field
coast of Tunisia (with bay)
Sicily, Mount Etna obscured by clouds, then toe of Italy
bay of Otrenta (sic?), coast of northern Chile, Andes mountains
dark blue "tounge of the ocean" in Bahama Islands, Andros Island specifically
moonset
Great Salt Lake, railroad bridge blocks circulation
Florida Keys, shallow seas of the Bahama Bank, Cuba
Detroit, Lake St Clair, Lake Erie
Dallas / Fort Worth, with reservoirs, then Galveston
unknown high plains lake
North Dakota, Lake Sakakawea, Minnesota
Ohio River valley near Cincinnati, Appalachian mountains
Chesapeake Bay and Delmarva peninsula
Black Hills, Missouri River, tributaries of Mississippi, sand hills of Nebraska, weather front
northern Mexico
long pass over southeastern US: bed of the broad Mississippi valley, bordered by bluffs, smoke plumes, Mobile Bay, Cape San Blas of Florida panhandle, Tampa Bay, Lake Okeechobee, Everglades, Florida Keys, Bahama Banks, Cuba
unrecognized, possibly Africa
long pass over Amazon rainforest, thunderhead tops, rivers
coral islands, coastline of Mozambique
Cuba, Grand Banks of Bahamas (again!)
rugged mountains and valleys, Canadian Rockies of British Columbia, near Calgary and Edmonton, farmland of prairie provinces
Georgian Bay, Lake Huron, southern peninsula of Michigan, sediment plumes
Lagoa dos Patos in southernmost Brazil
long pass over northern Mexico, dry / semi-desert land, high and low clouds, Big Bend National Park, city of Monterrey next to mountains, Laguna Madre just north of Brownsville, crossing over Gulf of Mexico to Gulf of Campeche, sediment plume, Yucatan peninsula
Gulf of Fonseca, Honduras, Costa Rica
Hurricane Florence (2006), passed by Bermuda
final views of ISS and Space Shuttle

Dr. Wilkinson mentioned that the visibility to the horizon is 1700 km.

My god, give me this on DVD.  I don't even need it to be HD, just give me a good letterboxed DVD of it.  Here, take my wallet :)

Online ChrisC

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 04/23/2008 04:05 pm »
Back to the general topic of this thread, which is when/whether NASA will launch an HD feed ...

This morning I see that NASA still has the HQ5 HD feed up in the AMC-6 multiplex.  They're showing a shot of the pad (camera 070).  Further, the other 4 services (HQ1, HQ2, HQ3, HQ4) are all still there.  In the past they've shut down the HQ2 Education Channel (put up a slate and robbed nearly all of its bandwidth) when they were feeding the HD service.

What they've done as of this morning is crush the HD feed bandwidth down to 6 Mbps.  The HD feed bandwidth was at 12 Mbps yesterday, which is just about the bare minimum that you can get away with MPEG2 in HD.  The 6 Mbps it's at now is essentially unusable for any kind of HD motion video, but good enough for static images.

Audio 1 is still labeled as Dolby Digital and still failing in my decoder.

No official word on whether this will be up 24/7 from now on, but I have my fingers crossed.  It's possible that they will keep it at this 6 Mbps bitrate when nothing's going on, and then crank it up to 12 Mbps when there's a big event (e.g. launch).  Personally, in my professional opinion they should crank those SD services down from 6-8 Mbps to 5 Mbps, and then they can run the HD at 12 Mbps all the time and everyone's happy.  5 Mbps for SD is plenty for distribution quality if you're using professional compressors, and that's without even using statmuxing.

Offline Herb Schaltegger

« Reply #19 on: 04/23/2008 07:03 pm »
I hope Directv adds a NASA TV HD channel, especially now that their HD capacity is about to get another big bump with the Directv 11 satellite.  Even a part-time HD feed (like some of the "game only" HD feeds for regional sports networks) would be great.
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography