Author Topic: Capture the Flag: Endeavour leaves her mark during Texas stay  (Read 18947 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Not the usual style of article we write up here, but when Nate told me about it, I thought it was very cool, which means other shuttle fans will probably think it's cool too. So a nice Sunday article it became!

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2012/09/capture-flag-endeavour-leaves-mark-texas-stay/

Nate will add full size images into this thread.

--

The other tour articles:

Out of KSC:
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2012/09/endeavour-leaves-ksc-final-time-years-before-time/

Into LAX:
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2012/09/endeavour-her-flying-days-stunning-farewell-tour/
« Last Edit: 09/23/2012 11:53 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7688
Oh you lucky dog you, Nathan!!

That is too wild. Congratulations!! And an SCA tour. Dang it!

Very glad your wife was able to share your passion finally! (space sickness? lol)

Great write up. That's an too often not seen side of life, outside of the forum here. Very cool it made it into an article.

Offline Longhorn John

• Regular
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 130
That was a very nice article. Well done to our own Nate! Well done Texas!!

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
Great article!  :) After over a half a century of human spaceflight and the many great technical accomplishments, it always seems to boil done to one thing the “human experience” and its impact upon them…
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline wjbarnett

Congrats Nathan!! Very nice pics too!
Jack

Offline northanger

• Regular
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Wow! Bravo.

https://twitter.com/astron8/status/246233022234509313

I hope Nathan Storifies or Chirpifies his twitter stream, it's pretty awesome.

Offline nathan.moeller

• Astro95 Media
  • Global Moderator
  • Houston, TX
    • Astro95 Media
  • Liked: 16
First two image of the flag (of four).  First is right after I received it.  Security guard offered to open the gate so I could get a picture with it and NASA905/Endeavour behind me unobstructed.  Second is a still from our GoPro shot of the departure.  You can see the flag on the fence and me filming in the center.
« Last Edit: 09/24/2012 03:00 am by nathan.moeller »
www.astro95media.com - Lead Video & Graphics

Offline nathan.moeller

• Astro95 Media
  • Global Moderator
  • Houston, TX
    • Astro95 Media
Third and fourth images.  These were taken shortly after NASA905 and Endeavour had disappeared from sight.  First is me with the flag and my truck.  Second is the flag hanging on the fence with the sun rising behind it (I suck at photography but I was pretty happy with this one!)

Offline RichardAKJ

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 1
Great article. Thanks Chris and Nathan.

Loved the picture of the flag at sunrise, BTW, Nathan. Hope to visit your state someday.

Offline David AF

• F-22 Raptor Instructor / Fighter Pilot
Well done Nate!
F-22 Raptor instructor

Offline Space Pete

Ace going Nate!!! :)
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline nathan.moeller

• Astro95 Media
  • Global Moderator
  • Houston, TX
    • Astro95 Media
Thanks for the kind words, guys!  It was an awesome surprise.  Here's the KHOU interview (they came running out the gate when they saw the flag) :)  -
« Last Edit: 09/26/2012 10:03 pm by nathan.moeller »

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7688
Thanks for the kind words, guys!  It was an awesome surprise.  Here's the KHOU interview (they came running out the gate when they saw the flag) :)  -

Sweet.

Offline Chris Bergin

Nice work there by KHOU - and top work by Nate. ;D
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Ares67

• Oliver
  • Remscheid, Germany
  • Liked: 74
  • Likes Given: 28
That's a story to remember! Nate, you've really earned that flag - your MaxQ video productions are an unrivalled contribution to this site. Thanks for sharing the photos and the background story.

And somehow I like the term "baby shuttle" used by the lady interviewed in that KHOU news report... :)

Offline Chris Bergin

That's a story to remember! Nate, you've really earned that flag - your MaxQ video productions are an unrivalled contribution to this site. Thanks for sharing the photos and the background story.

And somehow I like the term "baby shuttle" used by the lady interviewed in that KHOU news report... :)

I loved that too. I wonder if these orbiters will be the last of the named vehicles that literally have fans like that.

Maybe Dream Chasers, given they will probably be named and reused numerous times....still can't see it when you think about the history of the orbiters.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography