Author Topic: KSC Workforce Grant Announcement - June 2  (Read 12285 times)

Online Chris Bergin

Re: KSC Workforce Grant Announcement - June 2
« Reply #20 on: 06/02/2010 01:34 pm »
Questions, but not for Lori Garver. Sec of Labor is fielding them.

James Dean, on the grant.

Sec of Labor:
Compares to the motor industry losses in the North East. Wants to attract more industries into the region. Who knows, maybe there's an innovator out there who we can work with. There's a report going to the President in August.

Orlando Sentinel on how fast the money hits the ground.

Sec of Labor:
We've already got $250,000. Half of the $15m will come through, the rest will be based on assessments. Still working on the FY2011, and the public needs to know we need that to go through (to get the $40m I assume). Notes the workers have come to her saying they need the assistance from grants in the bill.

Question: Grant is for 3,200 - but there's 6,000 to 9,000 losing their jobs.

Sec of Labor:
Avoids directly answering that, noting how she hopes jobs will come.

Notes much of the money will go to upgrading KSC (?) Not sure if she's talking about FY2011 or the $40m. Mumbling.

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #21 on: 06/02/2010 01:34 pm »
Local reporter "I don't need my resume polished" on the grant.

Sec of Labor:
They can come to community college and look at going to a high level university.

Lori Garver (steps in):
NASA is still going to build great things to go to space. Notes the increase in the NASA funding with the six billion for commercial space. We will build Orion to be a rescue vehicle. There will be new jobs, new markets, and working with the industry that has had 80 percent of the budget anyway. If we can get a more capable system here it will help.

Irene K on the grant not helping tax relief for companies looking to take workers.

Sec of Labor
(Short answer, no tax relief). Will help with training courses to get people on the path to get that job.
« Last Edit: 06/02/2010 01:47 pm by Chris Bergin »
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #22 on: 06/02/2010 01:42 pm »
Sec additional:

The $15 is from the recovery act fund, but it doesn't mean it will stop there (at $15m). There's other resources we can make applications for, such as medical skills. The car industry in the north east was a much worse situation.

Notes Toyota got the same grant for their factory closure in California.

James Dean gets last question and asks Lori Garver about the job loss numbers and commercial being Cape, not KSC.

Lori: Agrees with the 6-9,000 job losses. Believe the KSC will gain more dollars through 21st century modernization and commercial space and jobs should come from that. Overall there will be job growth.

We do recognize the difference between Cape Canaveral and KSC. Can't help being thrilled by driving past the VAB. Will look at the best way to keep jobs in the area, and this center as the launch pad for our future. Until and unless our budget is approved we can't fully plan, but working to see what can continue with KSC. We will need new pads and need to work tradeoffs and work with KSC for a great future for the nation.

Over.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #23 on: 06/02/2010 01:45 pm »
Well I'm sure that all made everyone at KSC feel warm and fuzzy. There's a grant (250,000 now, 7.5m coming, and 7.5m via assessments) to help you write your resume and show you where local vacancies are, and a warning you aren't getting the $40m if the FY2011 doesn't go through...and you're getting a similar package as a car factory in California got.

That's about it! Bites lip.
« Last Edit: 06/02/2010 01:45 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline bodge

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 1
There's an Orion there (which is ironic, you'll see later today).

Hmm, but Garver still mentioned building the Orion CRV in answering one of the questions. Hints?

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #25 on: 06/02/2010 02:00 pm »
And still will be CRV, but the Orion workforce are being heavily culled. Very painful memo I'm writing up.

Offline Gene DiGennaro

• Armchair Astronaut
  • Baltimore, Md
    • Glenn L. Martin Maryland Aviation Museum
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 16
Garver:  "I have never been partisan in anything, but the stone-cold facts are this president cannot win re-election without the wonderful people of the grate state of Florida. 

While your economomy, and the Nation's, will suffer, while thousands of people will be unemployed due to this bold new direction and while we cannot even yet describe the mechanisms by which everything will be replaced, rest assured we had to remove all traces of a Bush-era program and end the travesty of the Space Shuttle Program once and for all.  After all, it was President Bush who did this to you and I personally asked the senior agency officials if the Shuttle could be extended on day one.  It is not my fault...I promise. 

Therefore, we announce this government program and the trivial amount of money which should make everything better.  This is a bold new initiative for you to deal with unemployment.  Be grateful for it, because there are thousands of others across the nation that do not even rate this consideration because they live in states the president will never win."

Nailed it dead on OV!

Offline Justin Space

• Extreme Veteran
  • England
  • Liked: 91
  • Likes Given: 293
« Reply #27 on: 06/02/2010 02:15 pm »
Well I'm sure that all made everyone at KSC feel warm and fuzzy. There's a grant (250,000 now, 7.5m coming, and 7.5m via assessments) to help you write your resume and show you where local vacancies are, and a warning you aren't getting the $40m if the FY2011 doesn't go through...and you're getting a similar package as a car factory in California got.

That's about it! Bites lip.

Didn't the Nissan car factory in Sunderland get £200m in assistance ($350m), to compare.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #28 on: 06/02/2010 02:18 pm »
No idea Justin, and not totally relevant. Their own comparison with the same grant (the amount of money wasn't mentioned) for the Toyota factory in California was relevant, however.

Offline Namechange User

• Elite Veteran
  • Likes Given: 0
Garver:  "I have never been partisan in anything, but the stone-cold facts are this president cannot win re-election without the wonderful people of the grate state of Florida. 

While your economomy, and the Nation's, will suffer, while thousands of people will be unemployed due to this bold new direction and while we cannot even yet describe the mechanisms by which everything will be replaced, rest assured we had to remove all traces of a Bush-era program and end the travesty of the Space Shuttle Program once and for all.  After all, it was President Bush who did this to you and I personally asked the senior agency officials if the Shuttle could be extended on day one.  It is not my fault...I promise. 

Therefore, we announce this government program and the trivial amount of money which should make everything better.  This is a bold new initiative for you to deal with unemployment.  Be grateful for it, because there are thousands of others across the nation that do not even rate this consideration because they live in states the president will never win."

Nailed it dead on OV!

Yeah, pretty much did.  I was hoping that I would be wrong.  Unfortunately, I was not.
Enjoying viewing the forum a little better now by filtering certain users.

Offline Paul Adams

• Veteran
  • United Kingdom and USA
  • Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #30 on: 06/02/2010 02:26 pm »
Just when you think that things could not get any worse in the way these people (and I include Graver and Bolden) are killing the HSF program and treating KSC employees - they trump themselves.
It's all in the data.

Offline LostInSpace

• Cape Canaveral
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #31 on: 06/02/2010 05:00 pm »
Just when you think that things could not get any worse in the way these people (and I include Graver and Bolden) are killing the HSF program and treating KSC employees - they trump themselves.

Amen.  This stunt just dissed us on all levels.

"Soon, the only way for American's to launch
themselves into space will be to row out into the middle of the Gulf of
Mexico and toss a lit match overboard." Stephen Colbert

I am a space worker.  I do NOT want that money.  I do NOT want that patronage.  I am a hard working, ethical, intelligent, responsible person.  This job hype has publicly reduced me to a welfare leech which I am NOT. 

My car is old, my cell phone is antique, I sold my house in 2007, I am prepared for this.  My savings account is quite healthy and I am not only already TRAINED but highly mobile. 

My life's work is about expanding knowledge on the cutting edge by doing my small part.  I am in love with participating in human exploration.  Humanity is supported by this endeavour (typo intended) more readily than a gov't handout. 

Shame on those who question the integrity of explorers.
Double shame on those who abuse their power to snuff the fire of exploration.

Online PahTo

• Port Angeles
  • Liked: 271
  • Likes Given: 1194
« Reply #32 on: 06/02/2010 05:16 pm »

Thanks for this post, LiS--good stuff.

For all of the political rancor I'll try to give my non-partisan view:
Bush killed HSF, and Obama didn't save it.

I would much much much rather see my tax dollars going to supporting and flying space ships (including manned vehicles), than said $$ going to occupation forces in primative lands, financial bailouts for malignant individuals and corporations (which are apparently one in the same now), or any of that ilk.

The most difficult fact at hand is the apathy and disinterest of so much of the US population wrt space travel, especially HSF.

Having said that, there are so many of us out here that appreciate, respect and admire the work force(s) of NASA and ccontractors who have flown humans to space since the 1960s.  THANK ALL OF YOU.

I am a space worker.  I do NOT want that money.  I do NOT want that patronage.  I am a hard working, ethical, intelligent, responsible person.  This job hype has publicly reduced me to a welfare leech which I am NOT. 

My car is old, my cell phone is antique, I sold my house in 2007, I am prepared for this.  My savings account is quite healthy and I am not only already TRAINED but highly mobile. 

My life's work is about expanding knowledge on the cutting edge by doing my small part.  I am in love with participating in human exploration.  Humanity is supported by this endeavour (typo intended) more readily than a gov't handout. 

Offline dougkeenan

« Reply #33 on: 06/02/2010 05:29 pm »
hear hear

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #34 on: 06/02/2010 06:40 pm »

Well said!

Offline nooneofconsequence

• no one is playing fair ...
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #35 on: 06/02/2010 08:12 pm »

I sympathize for all individuals who work hard and gets the shaft. But I see this everywhere, ongoing for better part of a decade that has hit across the board.

However, consider that this tsunami has been working its way through our entire economy ... it has only made its way to KSC by now, out of an action initiated many years ago. The time that things had to change was many years ago - not in the last year.

There has never been a sensible transition in all the decades of HSF that has dealt with the workforce appropriately. That is because on the political side, they rely on brinksmanship, on "budgetary chicken", to carry the day in the winning/losing of such related battles.

In our culture we have the winners (still on the lifeboat) and the losers (tossed off the lifeboat). A show of distributing some bits of flotation is cold comfort. But it is even more than in other industries / regions - they aren't even getting squat.

Better to ask the question "why does skill, dedication, and commitment count for so little?". Or, as a businessman "what is the market for people with such attributes?"

It used to be an American value to insure that these would never be allowed to be seen as a negative. Hasn't been that way since the 70's.

I wouldn't lay it all on Garver/Bolden - you might add a few thousand other names to the contributing parties list here.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something" - Plato

Offline astrobrian

• NSF Photographer
  • Austin Texas
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 112
« Reply #36 on: 06/03/2010 06:04 am »
LostInSpace for President 2012  8)

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #37 on: 06/03/2010 06:00 pm »
Related:

June 3, 2010

Bob Jacobs
Headquarters, Washington     
202-358-1600
[email protected]

Allard Beutel
Kennedy Space Center, Fla.
321-867-2468
[email protected]

Nicholas Kimball
Dept. Of Commerce, Washington
202-255-1483
[email protected]   

MEDIA ADVISORY: M10-086

NASA AND COMMERCE PRESENT UPDATE ON SPACE INDUSTRY TASK FORCE

WASHINGTON -- NASA Administrator Charles Bolden and Secretary of
Commerce Gary Locke will present an update about the Presidential
Task Force on Space Industry Work Force and Economic Development at
10 a.m. EDT on Friday, June 4.

The event will be held in the ballroom of the Orlando Airport Hyatt
Hotel, Intercontinental Ballroom, Section 5, 9300 Airport Blvd.,
Orlando, Fla. The event will be carried live on NASA Television and
also available on line.

The administration recently launched a $40 million, multi-agency
initiative for regional economic growth and to prepare space industry
workers for future opportunities. Task force activities will
complement local and federal economic and workforce-development
efforts.

For NASA TV downlink, schedule and streaming video information, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/ntv

Offline padrat

• Payload Packer and Dragon tamer...
  • Where Dragons roam....
  • Liked: 861
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #38 on: 06/04/2010 01:18 pm »
I'm so glad I only wasted about 5 mins out of my lifetime to watch this before I'd heard enough. Anyone know how I can get those 5 back?

Oh, and to the poster talking about education needing the money, I'll start giving a damn when I start seeing schools putting more of a priority on their education programs and teachers and less on "how many teachers do we need to get rid of so we can still get that new equipment and uniforms for the football team next year". Last I knew schools were for education first while athletics and ex. curr. activities were a bonus.
If the neighbors think you're the rebel of the neighborhood, embrace it and be the rebel. It keeps them wondering what you'll do next...

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography