Author Topic: Space Shuttle Atlantis @ Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex  (Read 143679 times)

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 1884
I did the same.  We went back early and went through the gift shop another day, and we had her to ourselves for a long time while the others went though the pre-show.  It brought me to tears to see her the first time.

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 55
Hello Guys,

I can feel with you even in faraway Germany, as it must be to be able to experience this Historic Flight Object (HFO) from this immediate closeness and to think in silence about how many astronauts brought it over and over again into space and then safely back to earth. Overwhelming and indescribable. 

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:
1:144 Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6

Offline brettreds2k

• Charlotte, NC
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 42
I did the same.  We went back early and went through the gift shop another day, and we had her to ourselves for a long time while the others went though the pre-show.  It brought me to tears to see her the first time.

Yeah I got tears in my eyes as the wall lifted and I saw her, Was very powerful moment.
Brett
www.facebook.com/brett.lowenthal1

Orbiters I have visited in retirement:

[ ] Enterprise
[X] Discovery
[X] Atlantis
[ ] Endeavour

Offline Overflow

• Space Shuttle Aficonado
  • Tampa, Florida
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 0
I did the same thing as you, Brett. I made sure to stop and look at Discovery when I saw her a few weeks ago.

Offline OV135

• Likes Given: 1
Any new photos guys? :)  I'm thinking of making a diorama with a future model kit.

Offline brettreds2k

• Charlotte, NC
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 42
I did the same thing as you, Brett. I made sure to stop and look at Discovery when I saw her a few weeks ago.

Discovery was a beautiful site to, I walked around her for hours
Brett
www.facebook.com/brett.lowenthal1

Orbiters I have visited in retirement:

[ ] Enterprise
[X] Discovery
[X] Atlantis
[ ] Endeavour

Offline eywflyer

• Honolulu HI
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 2
Been lurking for a few years but new to posting here. I was fortunately enough to visit Atlantis back in May, and was very impressed with the exhibit. I was born in 1971 so grew up with Shuttle, and it was quite hard to see the program shut down. Especially when those vehicles could have kept flying - at least until something else was ready.

Taking the tour bus out to LC 39, the VAB and the Shuttle landing strip (all empty) was kind of depressing.

Got some pictures but not sure how they will look here - were just iPhone photos. Will post them later this week when I get a chance.

Offline dave1938

• KSC area Florida
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 65
I have never "seen" security there, but there is always tour guides or others around answering questions.  They also have what looked like a ladder or work platform in the ceiling that could possibly drop down to allow dusting or repair of any type of visitor damage.

You are correct the structure near the ceiling is designed to be lowered to access the Orbiter for cleaning and or repair. I was told by a Delaware North employee that it has not been used yet.
I was a Aerospace Engineer at KSC from 1970 through 2012. I worked on the Apollo Saturn Five S-II  stage and the Apollo spacecraft, was on the Shuttle design team and then a LCC console engineer for Space Shuttle launch operations. I now volunteer (Docent) at the Apollo Saturn Five facility each Saturday and at Atlantis on Sunday.
If any L2 folks come to visit KSC please let me know who you are.
D-1938

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
Thanks for that info Dave!  I am glad they planned ahead for such needs.  I won't be back for a while, my year pass expired in July, but plan on getting another the next time I go back, so I will look you up when I go, if it is one of those days.

Offline dave1938

• KSC area Florida
Anyone know what these panels are on the upper left wing of Atlantis?  My friend who is an airline mechanic says his boss says they look like repair patches.

The panels with "No Step" on them are rub panels for the elevons. They "float" on the forward edge of the elevon as the elevons are used during atmospheric flight for pitch and roll control.
D-1938

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
Anyone know what these panels are on the upper left wing of Atlantis?  My friend who is an airline mechanic says his boss says they look like repair patches.

The panels with "No Step" on them are rub panels for the elevons. They "float" on the forward edge of the elevon as the elevons are used during atmospheric flight for pitch and roll control.

I was actually referring to the panels just forward of the float panels.  The ones that look like they are attached with several rows of bolts.

Offline dave1938

• KSC area Florida
That makes me pretty mad about people throwing stuff at Atlantis. She was once orbiting the earth, and now she's getting shoes thrown at her.

Jac, awesome pictures. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit.

The only thing I noticed were some marks on the left elevon but who knows when those happened.

The white irregular stripes are RTV standard repairs of the insulation.
D-1938

Offline dave1938

• KSC area Florida

I was actually referring to the panels just forward of the float panels.  The ones that look like they are attached with several rows of bolts.

OK, those are not repairs. I believe they have a aerodynamic function, possibly to disturb the laminar air flow over the elevons. That is my guess but I have not been able to find out what their function is. I do not know if the same panels are on the other Orbiters.
D-1938

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8560
  • Likes Given: 320
Atlantis Astronaut Adventure

Annual passholders are invited to a Space Shuttle Atlantis℠ special VIP experience, October 9, 8 - 9:15 am.

Explore Space Shuttle Atlantis before the Visitor Complex opens. Nearly a dozen veteran NASA astronauts who flew aboard Space Shuttle Atlantis will be available throughout the building during this exclusive event to answer questions and share first-hand experiences about spaceflight.

The Visitor Complex front gate opens at 7:30 am for annual passholders. The VIP tour begins in Space Shuttle Atlantis promptly at 8 am.

https://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/events/2014/october/atlantis-tour.aspx?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email-full&utm_campaign=KSC20140924_AP-SpaceWk
Jacques :-)

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
Hi Guys,

I have also once again looked over to Her Majesty, unfortunately only from a distance.

Source: NASA

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline Overflow

• Tampa, Florida
Happy to say I'll be back to see Atlantis again on November 2nd! Probably for the last time for a while.

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
You lucky devil,  I wish I could swap places with you guys.

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline Overflow

• Tampa, Florida
Take a trip over to the states, roma!

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
Great idea, we can have a party under Atlantis!

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
Hi Guys,
what a fantastic dream, I wish this could become true.

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography