Author Topic: Astronauts face broken exercise machines  (Read 1291 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline JesseD

• Ohio
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 4
RE: Astronauts face broken exercise machines
« Reply #1 on: 05/23/2006 03:21 pm »

Judith Hayes of NASA's Johnson Space Center said each of the International Space Station's three exercise machines has had mechanical problems, and it's rare for all to be completely functional at the same time. 

Well, how long have those machines been up?  The constant "intense" exercise the machines are used for has somehting to do with the breakdowns, I'm sure. I mean, 2 hours a day, 6 days a week is a very intense schedule.  But on the other hand, you would expect ISS equipment to be high enough quality to withstand long periods of use...

"If you do include a defibrillator on a lunar mission, you better include four of them," Mr. Pettit quipped. "Because if the ascent engine [used to lift off of the moon and returns to Earth] fails to ignite, then the entire crew's going to have simultaneous heart attacks and they'll each need one."

LOL! 

Offline ericr

• Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 0
RE: Astronauts face broken exercise machines
« Reply #2 on: 05/24/2006 07:20 am »
JesseD - 23/5/2006  10:08 AM

Judith Hayes of NASA's Johnson Space Center said each of the International Space Station's three exercise machines has had mechanical problems, and it's rare for all to be completely functional at the same time. 

Well, how long have those machines been up?  The constant "intense" exercise the machines are used for has somehting to do with the breakdowns, I'm sure. I mean, 2 hours a day, 6 days a week is a very intense schedule.  But on the other hand, you would expect ISS equipment to be high enough quality to withstand long periods of use...

"If you do include a defibrillator on a lunar mission, you better include four of them," Mr. Pettit quipped. "Because if the ascent engine [used to lift off of the moon and returns to Earth] fails to ignite, then the entire crew's going to have simultaneous heart attacks and they'll each need one."

LOL! 

The equipment at my gym gets a whole lot more use each week than that!

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
Re: Astronauts face broken exercise machines
« Reply #3 on: 05/24/2006 11:02 am »
I packed some of the original equipment for STS-96, 101 and 106.  It was the treadmill and IRED

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography