Author Topic: Impact of lunar ice on Exploration Architecture  (Read 212535 times)

Offline HappyMartian

• Tap the Moon's water!
  • Asia
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Impact of lunar ice on Exploration Architecture
« Reply #540 on: 06/06/2014 01:46 pm »
"There are no plans to develop and use any indigenous resources of space, except for the sunlight that will generate power from the solar arrays of the Orion spacecraft. Despite the fact that we will orbit an object that possesses billions of tons of water, no attempt will be made to harvest and use that resource. It is possible that the asteroid brought back into DRO might contain water, but there is no description of any type of water extraction experiment to be done during the ARM, nor will the Orion spacecraft have the facilities to conduct such experimentation."

From: “Pioneering Space” – Really?     June 5, 2014 by Paul Spudis
At: http://www.spudislunarresources.com/blog/   
"The Moon is the most accessible destination for realizing commercial, exploration and scientific objectives beyond low Earth orbit." - LEAG

Offline turbopumpfeedback2

• Liked: 32
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #541 on: 04/21/2016 10:16 pm »
Are you in favor or against of using lunar ice to cut costs of lunar base?

I mean this from a point of view of analogy to antarctic bases where mining and pollution are forbidden.

I somehow don't feel very happy about bulldozers and trucks on the moon.

Perhaps the best would be that US and China come together, with each country launching one crewed lunar mission per year with 2 people, such that crew of 4 constantly occupies the station, with each crew member staying one year. Plus EU, Japan and Russia sending supplies to pay for their nauts. That seems achievable without use of lunar water.

« Last Edit: 04/21/2016 10:19 pm by turbopumpfeedback2 »

Offline redliox

• Illinois USA
  • Liked: 683
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #542 on: 04/25/2016 08:18 pm »

They're a great resource but I don't want them to bind humans exclusively to the lunar poles.  Apart from the South Pole–Aitken basin, they're boring and craggy regions.
"Let the trails lead where they may, I will follow."
-Tigatron

Offline turbopumpfeedback2

• Liked: 32
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #543 on: 04/26/2016 04:14 pm »

They're a great resource but I don't want them to bind humans exclusively to the lunar poles.  Apart from the South Pole–Aitken basin, they're boring and craggy regions.

I agree that e.g. equatorial regions are more exciting than polar. I think that sun angles give beautiful views at the equator, while near the poles the lighting would be quite gloomy.

But I think that as a result of Apollo program equatorial regions are quite well understood, so I do not see a reason for a base there.

A reasonable purpose of a polar base could be the study of volatiles in permanent shadows.
« Last Edit: 04/26/2016 04:21 pm by turbopumpfeedback2 »

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #544 on: 04/26/2016 04:31 pm »
It is not just ice that makes poles attractive for a base. Less extreme temperature swings and access to more solar power during lunar day, upto 85% of time in some places.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography