Author Topic: Feature: Josh Byerly shares his experiences on being a voice for NASA  (Read 21616 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

A really fascinating feature based on an interview between Josh and Marshall Murphy. I'm sure you'll all enjoy this!

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2014/12/josh-byerly-experiences-being-voice-for-nasa/

Josh is a member here and said he'd be happy to take any follow up questions too! :)
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Space Pete

NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline Mark Max Q

• Going Supersonic
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 15
Favorite NASA TV person by a long way. Really enjoyed the article!

Offline NovaSilisko

• Liked: 1440
  • Likes Given: 1301
Excellent article as always from NSF.

In those instances, NASA has precise plans in place, according to Byerly.

“There are very in-depth contingency plans for different scenarios,” Byerly said. “The one that we had for shuttle was based on lessons learned during Challenger and Columbia, and there’s various versions of that for ISS and the other launches we do. And we developed a version of it for the SpaceX and Orbital flights.

“It’s very prescriptive and specific, even down to what camera angles are shown and what happens on NASA TV.”

You know, I never really thought about this before, but it's so obvious now that I've heard about it. I'm curious as to what those plans are... but of course I'm going to assume they're held onto pretty tightly, so I suppose I'll just continue wondering  :P

Offline STS Tony

• Extreme Veteran
  • Los Angeles
  • Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 106
Great read! One of the NASA PAOs who sounded like he was interested and talking to you, rather than reading off a script. There's not really any bad ones, he was just that good.

Offline joshbyerly

• Josh Byerly
  • Houston, Texas
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 0
Favorite NASA TV person by a long way. Really enjoyed the article!

I appreciate that!

Offline joshbyerly

• Josh Byerly
  • Houston, Texas
Excellent article as always from NSF.

In those instances, NASA has precise plans in place, according to Byerly.

“There are very in-depth contingency plans for different scenarios,” Byerly said. “The one that we had for shuttle was based on lessons learned during Challenger and Columbia, and there’s various versions of that for ISS and the other launches we do. And we developed a version of it for the SpaceX and Orbital flights.

“It’s very prescriptive and specific, even down to what camera angles are shown and what happens on NASA TV.”

You know, I never really thought about this before, but it's so obvious now that I've heard about it. I'm curious as to what those plans are... but of course I'm going to assume they're held onto pretty tightly, so I suppose I'll just continue wondering  :P

The plans just cover things like what the commentator is supposed to do, what the production team is supposed to do with the cameras, what goes on NASA.gov, what goes out on social media, who is in the news conference a couple of hours after the mishap, etc. You saw a lot of it in action after the Orbital flight.

Offline KEdward5

• Dallas, TX
  • Liked: 57
  • Likes Given: 116
Damn, that covered so much! Thanks Marshall and thanks Josh!

Can you say who you're working for now Josh? Are there fans of another industry getting the pleasure of your coverage?

Offline Matty Picard

• Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 24
Very good read chaps!

Offline TerryNaylor

• Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 49
Great! Echo the above, always felt like I was going to enjoy the coverage more when Josh's voice came over the webcast.

Offline joshbyerly

• Josh Byerly
  • Houston, Texas

Can you say who you're working for now Josh? Are there fans of another industry getting the pleasure of your coverage?

Haha...I'm handling internal communications for part of a big company....It's a totally different job, so I've hung up the microphone, as they say.

Offline joshbyerly

• Josh Byerly
  • Houston, Texas
Really enjoyed this video that Josh did a few years back regarding the Soyuz.
[youtube]zxO-pM1lLZ0[/youtube]

Well, thanks. That was one of the RARE times I wasn't freezing to death over there.

Offline Seattle Dave

• Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 48
Interesting article! Hey Josh, also a big fan as everyone here. Did you get to do dry runs in commentating on coverage like ascents with the rest of the MOD guys, or in some NASA PAO class? :)

Offline joshbyerly

• Josh Byerly
  • Houston, Texas
Interesting article! Hey Josh, also a big fan as everyone here. Did you get to do dry runs in commentating on coverage like ascents with the rest of the MOD guys, or in some NASA PAO class? :)

Great question. Yeah, you actually sit with the MCC team during some of the ascent and landing sims, and you sit back there and sort of run through things and practice the pacing of the calls. Since 133 kept slipping, I actually did about 8 sims, I think, and all of them were some sort of abort. I got really, really good at calling TALs, and they even threw in an ECAL and an RTLS. Those were sporty, to say the least.
« Last Edit: 12/01/2014 11:51 pm by joshbyerly »

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4047
  • Likes Given: 2089
Ditto!  Nice interview and story.

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4047
  • Likes Given: 2089

Well, thanks. That was one of the RARE times I wasn't freezing to death over there.
Those Behind the Scenes videos that you did with Mike Massimino (and that one without) were really fun to watch.  Thanks for the interview!
« Last Edit: 12/02/2014 12:22 am by psloss »

Offline joshbyerly

• Josh Byerly
  • Houston, Texas

Those Behind the Scenes videos that you did with Mike Massimino (and that one without) were really fun to watch.  Thanks for the interview!

My pleasure. The Behind the Scenes series was fun to do, because it was the first time we sort of pulled back the curtain and showed the crews training, people working around the center, the trainers, etc. They were rough around the edges, but that's what it was supposed to be. I had planned on doing another episode for a Soyuz launch, but I ended up doing nothing but landings the last couple of years.

Offline DaveJSC

• ISS FCR. Former Shuttle FCR
  • Liked: 1341
  • Likes Given: 18
Great to see this article about Josh. Happy to hear you're doing well!

Offline Jamie Young

• This custom rank is currently being decided on
  • Denver
  • Liked: 52
  • Likes Given: 151

Great question. Yeah, you actually sit with the MCC team during some of the ascent and landing sims, and you sit back there and sort of run through things and practice the pacing of the calls. Since 133 kept slipping, I actually did about 8 sims, I think, and all of them were some sort of abort. I got really, really good at calling TALs, and they even threw in an ECAL and an RTLS. Those were sporty, to say the least.

I've always wondered. What is your console like? You seem to have sat at a similar console to CAPCOM, but I don't think we ever saw what the displays look like.

Offline joshbyerly

• Josh Byerly
  • Houston, Texas
Great to see this article about Josh. Happy to hear you're doing well!

Much appreciated!

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography