Author Topic: SpaceX opening DC office....  (Read 31578 times)

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
SpaceX opening DC office....
« on: 01/31/2011 11:57 pm »
....and the LA Times is making a big deal that it's going to be in Chantilly, Va. which is also the home of the National Reconaissance Office (NRO). This just as said agency is starting "the most aggressive launch campaign that the National Reconnaissance Office has had in 20 years."

Wonder if this will end up being the customer SpaceX needs for Falcon 9 Heavy? 32 MT would be one helluva big spy satellite, or give the ability to put up constellations with minimal launches.

LA Times ....
« Last Edit: 02/01/2011 12:03 am by docmordrid »
DM

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
Re: SpaceX opening DC office....
« Reply #1 on: 02/01/2011 12:27 am »
Nuh, either of them.  Specualation with no basis. You are assuming that Spacex will get a contract.  nothing supports this assumption nor

A.  32 ton is not applicable to high energy orbits
B.  NRO doesnt have large constellations
« Last Edit: 02/01/2011 12:33 am by Jim »

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
« Reply #2 on: 02/01/2011 12:55 am »
A. High energy would be Raptors game.

B. Yet.
DM

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #3 on: 02/01/2011 01:07 am »
A. High energy would be Raptors game.

B. Yet.

A.  Both occurring is highly unlikely

B.  There is no need.  Know what you are talking about.  One launch is not feasible for imagery constellations. 

Be more objective and insert some realism in your posts.

Before countering, I have.

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
« Reply #4 on: 02/01/2011 01:52 am »
"Yet" is rather ambiguous, neither implying or stating certitude. That's objective enough IMO.

Speculation to be sure, but I also find it interesting that in August 2009 SpaceX hired Marv Vander Weg from ULA stating;

Marv Vander Weg brings unique experience in managing the most complex US Government missions to the SpaceX team,” said Elon Musk, CEO and CTO of SpaceX. “That experience is critical in order to address the full range of Air Force, NASA and NRO launch needs, up to and including the world's largest satellites. Marv joining SpaceX is an endorsement of that vision.

« Last Edit: 02/01/2011 01:53 am by docmordrid »
DM

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #5 on: 02/01/2011 01:53 am »
Sorry, got this yesterday...but didn't think it was a big deal. It's just some salesmen after some business apparently.

Here's the release:

SpaceX Continues Rapid Growth with New Office in Chantilly, Virginia

NOVA Home to Sophisticated Customers, Tremendous Talent Pool

WASHINGTON – Today SpaceX announced it is opening a new office in Chantilly, VA to serve customers looking for reliable, affordable launch solutions.  The community is home to some of the world’s leading Internet and high-tech companies.

SpaceX is a leader in launch services with a family of rockets and spacecraft that increase the reliability and performance of space transportation, with a goal of ultimately reducing costs by a factor of ten.

“We are excited to open offices in Chantilly,” said Elon Musk, SpaceX CEO and CTO.  “It will provide us with valuable access to important customers and an exceptional talent pool as we continue to grow.”

The new office is yet another sign of the company’s success.  SpaceX is a growing company with over 1,250 employees, having nearly doubled in size every year since it was founded in 2002.  The company has been profitable four years running – from 2007 to 2010. 

The Chantilly office is expected to see similar rapid growth as our government and commercial customer base continues to expand.  The SpaceX manifest includes over 40 missions across a diverse customer base of both commercial and government customers for the delivery of satellites to orbit.

The December launch was the first flight under NASA’s COTS program to develop commercial supply services to the International Space Station.  After the Space Shuttle retires, SpaceX will fly at least 12 missions to carry cargo – including live plants and animals - to and from the International Space Station as part of the Commercial Resupply Services contract for NASA.  Orbital of Dulles, VA is also a NASA contractor for both COTS and CRS.  The SpaceX COTS and CRS missions will yield valuable flight experience toward the SpaceX goal for the Falcon 9 rocket and Dragon spacecraft to one day carry astronauts.

SpaceX has employees across the country and around the globe, with headquarters in Hawthorne, CA; testing facilities in McGregor, TX; launch facilities at the Air Force Station at Cape Canaveral and the Kwajalein Atoll in the Republic of the Marshall Islands; and offices in Huntsville, AL and Washington, DC.

For more information visit SpaceX.com. 
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is an important metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 1257
  • Likes Given: 724
« Reply #6 on: 02/01/2011 02:04 am »
Pretty interesting news.
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023
« Reply #7 on: 02/01/2011 02:07 am »
The area in DC is crawling with companies, it is just a coincidence.  SpaceX probably wants to be in earshot of the policymakers (both HQ and the Hill)

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #8 on: 02/01/2011 02:08 am »

Marv Vander Weg brings unique experience in managing the most complex US Government missions to the SpaceX team,” said Elon Musk, CEO and CTO of SpaceX. “That experience is critical in order to address the full range of Air Force, NASA and NRO launch needs, up to and including the world's largest satellites. Marv joining SpaceX is an endorsement of that vision.

Over 16 months ago and nothing from it.
The same thing was supposed to done by John Insprucker the former USAF EELV program director hired years ago
« Last Edit: 02/01/2011 02:21 am by Jim »

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
« Reply #9 on: 02/01/2011 02:18 am »
Here's the release:

SpaceX is a leader in launch services with a family of rockets and spacecraft that increase the reliability and performance of space transportation, with a goal of ultimately reducing costs by a factor of ten.

I am an admitted "fan" of SpaceX, but this is beyond puffery. "leader", "family of rockets", "spacecraft", "increase the reliability" "factor of ten".  Enough already

Why can't they just say they're the company who has put four payloads in orbit with internally developed rockets and the CRS contractor who sent a capsule to orbit and back?  That's terrific enough without the hype. 
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline nooneofconsequence

• no one is playing fair ...
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #10 on: 02/01/2011 03:12 am »
They aren't serious about this business (yet). A placeholder.

To tell when they are serious, look at who they report to in the management structure and the frequency of oversight by such. Right now its not on any critical path thus is simply trolling for onesy / twosy opportunities practically done at cost.

Marketing and sales management for such accounts is a very careful, deliberate and cautious undertaking, with constant executive and organizational feedback in real time.  It takes years to establish and years to prove the correct responsive interaction needed long before you book your first sale. You can't buy it you must build it ground up each time anew.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something" - Plato

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
« Reply #11 on: 02/01/2011 04:17 am »
B.  There is no need.  Know what you are talking about.  One launch is not feasible for imagery constellations. 
I think there's some space for SAR satellite working in duo. I don't think it would need 32MT (neither that the Falcon 9 Heavy could achieve it to LEO). Germany has they TanDEM, Italy has it's constelation, and even Argentina is developing one. I guess USA already has this capability (or actually, something much better).

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14046
  • Likes Given: 1392
« Reply #12 on: 02/01/2011 04:29 am »
I agree that the mere opening of an office in a neighborhood is pretty inconsequential, but reading the posts above, all I can picture is Yosemite Sam all hunched up - "I HATES that rabbit", hehe.
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline tigerade

• Low Earth Orbit
  • Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #13 on: 02/01/2011 04:29 am »
SpaceX probably wants to be in earshot of the policymakers (both HQ and the Hill)

That's my bet.

Offline RocketEconomist327

• Rocket Economist
  • Infecting the beltway with fiscal responsibility, limited government, and free markets.
  • Liked: 96
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #14 on: 02/01/2011 06:38 am »
SpaceX probably wants to be in earshot of the policymakers (both HQ and the Hill)

That's my bet.
Bingo. 

VR
RE327
You can talk about all the great things you can do, or want to do, in space; but unless the rocket scientists get a sound understanding of economics (and quickly), the US space program will never achieve the greatness it should.

Putting my money where my mouth is.

Offline corrodedNut

• Liked: 216
  • Likes Given: 133
« Reply #15 on: 02/01/2011 07:10 pm »
Don't they already have an office in DC? Why do they need another one?

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14046
  • Likes Given: 1392
« Reply #16 on: 02/01/2011 07:30 pm »
One is to steal regular DoD contracts, the other is specifically for NREL. 

What?  What?

ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
  • Liked: 164
  • Likes Given: 102
« Reply #17 on: 02/01/2011 08:30 pm »
Don't they already have an office in DC? Why do they need another one?

I don't know if they already have one, but Chantilly isn't exactly close to Capitol Hill. It's 16 miles due west of Washington. I live and work in downtown DC, and there's plenty of new office space for rent within 10 blocks south of the Capitol.

On the other hand, Chantilly is right next to Dulles International airport, so it might be very handy for company folks going back & forth to Hawthorne and McGregor!
Space launches attended:
Antares/Cygnus ORB-D1 Wallops Island, VA Sept 2013 | STS-123 KSC, FL March 2008 | SpaceShipOne Mojave, CA June 2004

Offline RocketEconomist327

• Rocket Economist
  • Infecting the beltway with fiscal responsibility, limited government, and free markets.
  • Liked: 96
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #18 on: 02/01/2011 10:14 pm »
Have you seen the cost of that office space?

VR
RE327
You can talk about all the great things you can do, or want to do, in space; but unless the rocket scientists get a sound understanding of economics (and quickly), the US space program will never achieve the greatness it should.

Putting my money where my mouth is.

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
« Reply #19 on: 02/01/2011 10:16 pm »
Don't they already have an office in DC?

Yup, they have an office right on Capitol Hill.  Sez so in this 2003 presser.

Why do they need another one?

Well, it's unlikely to be related to relations with Congress & the White House since that would be the Capitol Hill offices job due to proximity. OTOH, it is awfully close to the NRO, and if they can save the agency bucks in these tight-budget times....

Yeah Jim, I know you've already given one of your patented one liners about that.  We'll see.
« Last Edit: 02/01/2011 10:29 pm by docmordrid »
DM

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography