Author Topic: LIVE: Atlas-V - MUOS-5 - June 24, 2016  (Read 97458 times)

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
LIVE: Atlas-V - MUOS-5 - June 24, 2016
« on: 01/14/2014 03:19 pm »
Article - By William Graham:
https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2016/06/ula-atlasv-muos-5-launch/

Live Coverage:

Background:

Fifth Lockheed Martin MUOS Secure Communications Satellite Completes Assembly, Enters System Test

SUNNYVALE, Calif., January 13, 2014 – The fifth Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] Mobile User Objective System (MUOS) satellite for the U.S. Navy is entering its first system test faster than the previous build, now that integration is complete. Engineers and technicians recently mated its system module and core to the multi-beam assembly (MBA), which hosts 16 ultra-high frequency (UHF) antennas for distributed, global communications coverage.

The MBA’s antennas beam down coverage to Earth, with each covering thousands of miles of terrain. Supporting UHF satellite communications, MUOS will provide secure mobile users with assured communications, including the new capability of simultaneous voice, video and data.

“Our fifth MUOS satellite shows strong learning curve benefits. Compared to our last build, we are approximately 20 percent ahead of schedule,” said Iris Bombelyn, vice president of Narrowband Communications at Lockheed Martin. “We are continuously improving our manufacturing, test, launch and orbit operations to best serve the U.S. Navy and users that need secure, mobile voice and data communications.”

Designed and built by Lockheed Martin, the MUOS antenna rests on an A2100 bus, also built by Lockheed Martin, and uses a system module provided by General Dynamics. Together, the system enables communications coverage using the Wideband Code Division Multiple Access standard, providing a 10-fold increase in transmission throughput over the current UHF satellite system.

Lockheed Martin Space Systems, Sunnyvale, Calif., is the MUOS prime contractor and system integrator. The Navy's Program Executive Office for Space Systems, Chantilly, Va., and its Communications Satellite Program Office, San Diego, Calif., are responsible for the MUOS program.
« Last Edit: 06/24/2016 01:56 pm by Chris Bergin »
Jacques :-)

Offline psionedge

• Liked: 74
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: Atlas-V - MUOS-5 - May 5, 2016
« Reply #1 on: 12/17/2015 04:40 pm »
The article in the first post is actually referring to MUOS SV5, which launched as mission MUOS-4 in September.

Online ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2344
  • Likes Given: 2060
« Reply #2 on: 12/18/2015 04:17 am »
I thought SV3 launched as MUOS 4.
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32735
  • Likes Given: 8178
« Reply #3 on: 12/18/2015 04:30 am »
Here's the serial numbers as I understand them.

21 Jan 2015 MUOS 3 (SV-4)
 2 Sep 2015 MUOS 4 (SV-5)
 5 May 2016 MUOS 5 (SV-3)
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32735
  • Likes Given: 8178
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline WHAP

• Liked: 105
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #5 on: 12/18/2015 05:01 am »
ULA employee.  My opinions do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.

Offline psionedge

« Reply #6 on: 12/18/2015 06:41 pm »
Here's the serial numbers as I understand them.

21 Jan 2015 MUOS 3 (SV-4)
 2 Sep 2015 MUOS 4 (SV-5)
 5 May 2016 MUOS 5 (SV-3)
This is correct. I am also currently planning on a May launch.

Online Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3364
  • Likes Given: 1138
« Reply #7 on: 02/16/2016 08:18 pm »
https://www.facebook.com/ulalaunch/photos/pcb.10153714301225379/10153714294955379/?type=3&theater

Florida Sen. Bill Nelson (wearing red) visited ULA’s Decatur, Alabama, factory last week. He toured the factory as part of his oversight responsibilities on the Senate's Commerce Committee and the Armed Services Committee. There are 31 missions in various stages of production in ULA’s Alabama facility, including missions that support national security, space exploration and commercial capabilities.

Amateur question. The big line is...?

Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7396
  • Likes Given: 72454
« Reply #8 on: 03/10/2016 05:56 pm »
Lockheed Martin’s MUOS Production Line Ships Fifth Secure Communications Satellite to Florida for May Launch

MUOS-5 is third satellite to launch in 16 months for U.S. Navy’s Smart Phone-Like Network

On March 3, MUOS-5, the next satellite scheduled to join the U.S. Navy’s Mobile User Objective System (MUOS) secure communications network, arrived at Cape Canaveral after shipping from Lockheed Martin’s satellite manufacturing facility in Sunnyvale, California.

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla., March 9, 2016 – The U.S. Navy and Lockheed Martin (NYSE: LMT) delivered the fifth Mobile User Objective System (MUOS) satellite to Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida, on March 3, prior to its expected May launch.

The spacecraft will be the third MUOS satellite launched in a 16-month span, a cadence that demonstrates the production line concept put into place for the delivery of this five-satellite build.

MUOS-5 is the latest addition to a network of orbiting satellites and relay ground stations that is revolutionizing secure communications for mobile military forces. Users with operational MUOS terminals will be able to seamlessly connect beyond line-of-sight around the world and into the Global Information Grid. MUOS’ new capabilities include simultaneous, crystal-clear voice, video and mission data, over a secure high-speed Internet Protocol-based system, similar to today’s smart phones.

MUOS-5 will complete the Navy’s baseline constellation and serve as an on-orbit spare for the system, ensuring the network is always available to support U.S. and allied mobile forces.

“As MUOS-5’s launch approaches, MUOS-4 is preparing to begin operations on-station, enabling MUOS’ near-global coverage,” said Mark Woempner, program director of Lockheed Martin’s Narrowband Communications mission area. “We are proud that we will soon be providing our mobile forces access to the system’s enhanced communications capabilities from nearly anywhere, including further into polar regions than ever before.”

Lockheed Martin manufactured MUOS-5 at its Sunnyvale, California facility. For its trip to Florida the satellite was loaded aboard a C-5 Galaxy aircraft at nearby Moffett Federal Air Field by the 60th Air Mobility Wing of Travis Air Force Base. Astrotech Space Operations, a Lockheed Martin wholly-owned subsidiary in Florida, will complete MUOS-5’s pre-launch processing.

The satellite joins MUOS-1, MUOS-2, MUOS-3, and MUOS-4 already on orbit. All four required MUOS ground stations are complete. More than 55,000 currently fielded radio terminals can be upgraded to be MUOS-compatible, with many of them requiring just a software upgrade.

Once fully operational, the MUOS network will provide 16 times the capacity of the legacy ultra high frequency communications satellite system, which it will continue to support, and eventually replace.

For additional information, photos and video visit: www.lockheedmartin.com/muos

About Lockheed Martin

Headquartered in Bethesda, Maryland, Lockheed Martin is a global security and aerospace company that - with the addition of Sikorsky - employs approximately 126,000 people worldwide and is principally engaged in the research, design, development, manufacture, integration and sustainment of advanced technology systems, products and services.

My comment: The travel points of this satellite's journey appear to be Lockheed-Martin, Sunnyvale to Moffett Field to CCAFS Skid Strip to Astrotech, Titusville.
« Last Edit: 03/10/2016 06:10 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline Kim Keller

• Not OldSpace, Not NewSpace - I'm ALLSpace
  • Liked: 2419
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #9 on: 03/11/2016 03:05 pm »
Amateur question. The big line is...?

LO2 vent valve assembly.

BTW, that booster and its Centaur arrived at the Cape via Delta Mariner this week.
« Last Edit: 03/11/2016 03:05 pm by Kim Keller »

Offline psionedge

« Reply #10 on: 03/12/2016 02:33 pm »
My comment: The travel points of this satellite's journey appear to be Lockheed-Martin, Sunnyvale to Moffett Field to CCAFS Skid Strip to Astrotech, Titusville.
Payload assembly began at the now-shuttered Newtown, PA facility before being shipped to Sunnyvale to be mated into the spacecraft configuration.

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #11 on: 03/24/2016 07:20 pm »
Atlas V to Launch the Fifth Mobile User Objective System (MUOS-5)

Atlas V MUOS-5 Mission ArtworkRocket/Payload: An Atlas V 551 will launch the U.S. Navy’s fifth Mobile User Objective System (MUOS-5) satellite, built by Lockheed Martin.

Date/Site/Launch Time: Thursday, May 5, from Space Launch Complex-41 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida.

Mission Description: The fifth Mobile User Objective System (MUOS-5) satellite is the latest addition to a network of orbiting satellites and relay ground stations that is revolutionizing secure communications for mobile military forces. Users with operational MUOS terminals can seamlessly connect beyond line-of-sight around the world and into the Global Information Grid. MUOS’ new commercial, cellular-based capabilities include simultaneous, crystal-clear voice, video and mission data, over a secure high-speed Internet Protocol-based system. 

Launch Notes: MUOS-5 will mark the ULA’s fourth launch of 2016 and the 63rd Atlas V since the vehicle’s inaugural launch in August 2002. MUOS-5 will be the seventh mission to launch in the 551 configuration; other missions launched in this configuration include four previous MUOS missions as well as the New Horizons mission to Pluto and the Juno mission to Jupiter.

Launch Updates: To keep up to speed with updates to the launch countdown, dial the ULA launch hotline at 1-877-852-4321 or join the conversation at www.facebook.com/ulalaunch, twitter.com/ulalaunch and instagram.com/ulalaunch.

Go Atlas! Go Centaur! Go MUOS-5!
Jacques :-)

Offline ArbitraryConstant

• Liked: 628
  • Likes Given: 311
« Reply #12 on: 03/25/2016 04:20 pm »
https://twitter.com/NASASpaceflight/status/713414601367547905

"ULA delay Atlas V MUOS-5 mission to NET May 12 to further review the data anomaly experienced during the OA-6 mission."

What was the anomaly? Lower than expected thrust?

Offline ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3543
  • Likes Given: 759
« Reply #13 on: 03/25/2016 04:21 pm »

Premature Atlas stage cutoff. It's all over the OA-6 live thread.

Offline S.Paulissen

• Boston
  • Liked: 334
  • Likes Given: 511
« Reply #14 on: 03/25/2016 04:42 pm »

Premature Atlas stage cutoff. It's all over the OA-6 live thread.

At risk of derailing the thread (sorry), what kinda of dV was lost with those 6s of burn time?  I realize it can be quite a bit given that's supposed to be the lightest stack that first stage gets to push against.  I could calculate it myself but if you know it off the top of your head it'd be nice.
"An expert is a person who has found out by his own painful experience all the mistakes that one can make in a very narrow field." -Niels Bohr
Poster previously known as Exclavion going by his real name now.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #15 on: 03/25/2016 04:52 pm »
Go to the OA-6 thread

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #16 on: 03/25/2016 05:05 pm »
Can I ask a MUOS-5 related question. So they are delaying 7 days. Does that mean they are stopping all work on MUOS-5 for a week and looking at the data instead?

I assume if they find something in the data that needs correcting, this launch could slip more than 7 days. True? This is a penciled in date until they know the scale of a potential problem?
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline Kim Keller

« Reply #17 on: 03/25/2016 05:32 pm »
Can I ask a MUOS-5 related question. So they are delaying 7 days. Does that mean they are stopping all work on MUOS-5 for a week and looking at the data instead?

I assume if they find something in the data that needs correcting, this launch could slip more than 7 days. True? This is a penciled in date until they know the scale of a potential problem?

Processing continues. The Centaur just underwent first power application this week, and offsite vertical integration of up-stage components has started and will continue. Slipping the ILC just adds some pad to the integration/test schedule.

Sure, there's potential for further slippage, based on the pace of the investigation. Progress is being made, however.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4672
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #18 on: 03/25/2016 08:42 pm »

Processing continues. The Centaur just underwent first power application this week, and offsite vertical integration of up-stage components has started and will continue. Slipping the ILC just adds some pad to the integration/test schedule.

Sure, there's potential for further slippage, based on the pace of the investigation. Progress is being made, however.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it they are going to delay the Atlas CCB move from the ASOC to the SLC-41 VIF by a day or so to do some checks that they cant easily do in the VIF while stacked on the MLP.

Offline Kim Keller

« Reply #19 on: 03/27/2016 01:45 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it they are going to delay the Atlas CCB move from the ASOC to the SLC-41 VIF by a day or so to do some checks that they cant easily do in the VIF while stacked on the MLP.

I don't see a delay in the updates I receive, but even if there is one it's no big deal.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography