Author Topic: "Capricorn One" Gets A Remake  (Read 19730 times)

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
Jacques :-)

Offline Dana

• Regular
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: "Capricorn One" Gets A Remake
« Reply #1 on: 02/10/2007 12:03 am »
Great-much like the original, a remake of "Capricorn 1" will give more credence to the conspiracy loons. :(

Interesting that they note that "Outland" is in the remake pipeline as well. "Outland" itself was basically a remake of "High Noon."

The creative well in Hollywood must be running pretty dry these days, what with all the comic-book flicks and remakes.
"Don't play dumb with me! You're not as good at it as I am!"-Col. Flagg

"'Second Place' is just the first loser."-Bobby Allison

Offline MKremer

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 69
  • Likes Given: 1275
« Reply #2 on: 02/10/2007 12:13 am »
Hollywood does not equal realism, and 99.99999999% movie Directors do not equal realism, regardless of the Hollywood movie they're filming.

Offline mastronaut

• Veteran
  • Spacebound Entity
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: 02/10/2007 12:29 am »
Are any of you going to see 'Astronaut Farmer'? The previews look pretty cool....

Offline PurduesUSAFguy

• Liked: 3
« Reply #4 on: 02/10/2007 12:33 am »
Kim Stanley Robinsons Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars trillogy gets put on the back burner and but we get a remake of Capricorn One? We really need a good Mars movie but I'd prefeer one that actually portrays the space program in a positive light.

Offline MKremer

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 69
  • Likes Given: 1275
« Reply #5 on: 02/10/2007 12:47 am »
mastronaut - 9/2/2007  7:29 PM

Are any of you going to see 'Astronaut Farmer'? The previews look pretty cool....
Pretty cool trailer. Probably the movie, too.

Too bad that present day, real-life gov't/media wouldn't allow anything like that.

Offline mastronaut

• Veteran
  • Spacebound Entity
« Reply #6 on: 02/10/2007 01:38 am »

Offline vt_hokie

• Hazlet, NJ
  • Liked: 118
  • Likes Given: 436
« Reply #7 on: 02/10/2007 01:43 am »
mastronaut - 9/2/2007  9:38 PM

I'll be checking it out here's the trailer link...
http://theastronautfarmermovie.warnerbros.com/cmp/trailer.html?id=trailer&type=windows&speed=300000

Cool, thanks!  The last line in that trailer seems quite appropriate to me....I used to feel like I knew what I wanted to do, but I haven't a clue anymore.    :(

Offline Mark Dave

• Ruined
« Reply #8 on: 02/10/2007 01:48 am »
Billy Bob flys an Atlas booster. :) I may see this movie. The remake-no. Serious Hollywood need better ideas for films, not this remake garbage.

Offline mastronaut

• Veteran
  • Spacebound Entity
« Reply #9 on: 02/10/2007 02:03 am »
I ran across this site searching google one day, Andy Griffith building a rocket to salvage Apollo hardware from the moon!  :)    
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Launchpad/9782/salvage1.html

Offline imfan

• Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: 02/10/2007 10:05 am »
I like the capricorn one movie a lot. but I completely dont get what do they think could be done much better in it that it justifies making remake

Offline JonSBerndt

• Aerospace Engineer
  • Westminster, CO
    • JSBSim Open Source Flight Dynamics Software Library
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #11 on: 02/10/2007 10:16 am »
MarkD - 9/2/2007  8:48 PM

Billy Bob flys an Atlas booster. :) I may see this movie. The remake-no. Serious Hollywood need better ideas for films, not this remake garbage.

I was reading Jules Verne's "From the Earth to the Moon" a couple of months ago. Despite some obvious technical plot impossibilities, I think that the story is great, and would make a very good movie.

Jon

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
« Reply #12 on: 02/10/2007 10:44 am »
imfan - 10/2/2007  9:05 PM

I like the capricorn one movie a lot. but I completely dont get what do they think could be done much better in it that it justifies making remake

Because of the sickening popularity of the "Moon Hoax" excrement, someone thinks there is a market for it. Although I don't think "Capricorn 1" is a bad movie per se; its effect all these years later is to help amplify the garbage. I think this is a side effect that talented director Peter Hyams NEVER intended. Hyams is an actual fan of Americas' manned space program and I think his version of 2010 is a fine movie in its own right. There are three kinds of 2001: A Space Odyssey fans - those who love only the Kubrick film, those who like only 2010, 'cause its easier too watch, and those who love BOTH: I'm one of those. 2010 is a genre of SF movie that is virtually NEVER made. Partly, it's a realistic & largely technically accurate drama movie about near-future(!) manned spaceflight and partly an existential, pseudo-spiritual story.

But I digress: a remake of Capricorn 1 is NOT necessary and I'd prefer that someone dramatised a highly realistic movie about the first manned landing on Mars, much better than either "Mission To Mars" or "Red Planet". I suggest "First Landing" by Robert Zubrin, although there'd be a few things I'd change for the screenplay:

http://www.amazon.com/First-Landing-Robert-Zubrin/dp/0441009638/sr=1-1/qid=1171107740/ref=sr_1_1/104-8245725-8579913?ie=UTF8&s=books

"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline dwmzmm

• Extreme Veteran
  • Far West Houston, TX
    • Challenger 498 NAR Section
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #13 on: 02/10/2007 11:30 am »
I personally thought the originally made Capricorn 1 was pretty good....
Dave, NAR # 21853 SR.

Offline stefan1138

• Liked: 0
« Reply #14 on: 02/10/2007 12:21 pm »
The original movie "Capricorn 1" was not a bad movie (unfortunately it helped the moon hoax theory followers). I saw it as a child and liked it (despite me being a big NASA fan). But I do like Peter Hyams Movies "2010" and "Outland" even more. I do not know what to expect from a "Capricorn 1" remake.

Stefan :)

Offline publiusr

• Elite Veteran
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #15 on: 02/10/2007 06:56 pm »
I hope this remake bites the dust. That movie would do more damage to spaceflight than Astronaut Farmer could do good. Even that movie may do damage in making people really think they can just whip up a rocket in a barn--and that we don't need NASA anymore.

If I were king of the world, I'd go on a pogrom and destroy every copy of Capricorn 1 I could lay my hands on.

Offline imfan

« Reply #16 on: 02/10/2007 08:15 pm »
you have to have really bad experience with world if you think people are mindless apes to believe whatever they see in the cinema or TV

Offline Dana

• Regular
« Reply #17 on: 02/11/2007 12:26 am »
You know, the funny thing about the effect that the original "Capricorn 1" had on the hoax loonies is that in the film, they ACTUALLY HAVE DIALOGUE EXPLAINING that the whole reason they have to fake the Capricorn mission is BECAUSE THE APOLLO LUNAR MISSIONS WERE SO SUCCESSFUL that the falure of their Capricorn architecture would doom the space program! Even the movie that fuels the Apollo-is-a-hoax loonies didn't say that Apollo had been a hoax! Quite the contrary-"Capricorn 1" states that it had been real, and spectacularly successful! The very same movie that got people hooked on a supposed conspiracy explicitly states that there WAS NO CONSPIRACY! :) Of course, to people that are 25-50 IQ points down to the rest of the world and seldom leave their computer in their parents' basement, that little detail may be overlooked....

Offline elmarko

• I am very curious about THIS little conundrum
  • Preston, UK
    • ElMarko.org
« Reply #18 on: 02/11/2007 04:19 pm »
I love Capricorn one. Next to The Big Lebowski it's one of my favourite movies :)

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #19 on: 02/12/2007 02:36 am »
publiusr - 10/2/2007  2:56 PM

I hope this remake bites the dust. That movie would do more damage to spaceflight than Astronaut Farmer could do good. Even that movie may do damage in making people really think they can just whip up a rocket in a barn--and that we don't need NASA anymore.

If I were king of the world, I'd go on a pogrom and destroy every copy of Capricorn 1 I could lay my hands on.

Not only do we not need NASA anymore, I would argue that we largely don't have NASA any more.  NASA's notional rocket center at Marshall has developed no flight rocket since STS-1.  They don't have the technical chops they had 45 years ago.  They're accustomed to developing paper rockets.  I shudder that they actually have to finish a project now.  The rocket development expertise in this country resides in the Delta and Atlas programs and to a lesser extent at ATK and Orbital.  NASA doesn't currently know how to develop rockets.  We are relearning all of the mistakes that Delta and Atlas made between 97 and 01.  Remember that when Ares I and V have delays and overruns.

Sorry, I went way OT.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline oriolesfan61

« Reply #20 on: 02/12/2007 03:21 am »
What I loved in the movie is the wise-cracking astronaut who tells himself on old joke to help himself get up the cliff face.

Offline dwmzmm

• Extreme Veteran
  • Far West Houston, TX
    • Challenger 498 NAR Section
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #21 on: 02/14/2007 12:37 am »
The chase scenes were pretty good cliff hangers!
Dave, NAR # 21853 SR.

Offline gladiator1332

• Fort Myers, FL
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #22 on: 02/16/2007 02:07 am »
Astronaut Farmer seems very similar to the TV Movie "Rockets Red Glare" that aired on Fox Family a few years back...basically same story, person gets hold of spare Mercury parts and builds his own rocket, govt gets frakked, launches anyway. In RRG it was a Redstone, in AF, we see the Atlas being used.

Offline mastronaut

• Veteran
  • Spacebound Entity
« Reply #23 on: 02/16/2007 02:35 am »
I never heard of that Fox movie, sounds interesting though....

Offline Dana

• Regular
« Reply #24 on: 02/16/2007 07:37 am »
Wasn't that the one about the kid who NASA goes to to use his replica Mercury capsule to rescue the Space Shuttle or something like that? I saw commercials for it but didn't watch it.

Offline publiusr

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #25 on: 02/18/2007 07:34 pm »
Yes--that had Gordo Cooper it it--and the Redstone had strap-ons IIRC. It was supposed to be about finding the "last" Redstone. That was actually used for the WRESAT program in Australia if memory serves.

Offline stefan1138

« Reply #26 on: 02/19/2007 12:18 pm »
Meanwhile found a lenghy article about "Capricorn One" and itīs remake at "The Space Review":

http://www.thespacereview.com/article/811/1

Stefan :)

Offline publiusr

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #27 on: 02/19/2007 06:53 pm »
One problem with the last line of that article. If it were Lucus--he'd still want to mess around and put out special editions after the 'fact.'

Offline CFE

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #28 on: 02/20/2007 03:33 am »
One has to watch "Capricorn One" and appreciate the irony of O.J. Simpson being on the "receiving" end of the murdering...
"Black Zones" never stopped NASA from flying the shuttle.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography