Author Topic: The many failures of Elon Musk, captured in one giant infographic  (Read 1450 times)

Offline catdlr

• Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 1487
  • Likes Given: 920
« Last Edit: 10/07/2017 04:32 AM by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa

Offline sanman

• Liked: 488
  • Likes Given: 7
Failures also teach lessons, too - so failure is part of the learning process.

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 751
  • Likes Given: 1503
I am not sure how the experimental landing tests can be failures.

Online ZachS09

Good point; those experimental attempts were secondary objectives that did not have to be successful. All primary objectives during those tests were done successfully.
"Liftoff of Falcon 9: the world's first reflight of an orbital-class rocket."

Offline Oberon_Command

• Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 0
The first paragraph of the article makes it clear that it's supposed to be a motivational piece, not a rhetorical castigation of Elon Musk or SpaceX. Steve Jobs getting kicked out of his own company is also mentioned. It appears the point the article is trying to make is that "failing" at something doesn't mean you're a failure forever or that success is out of reach even after multiple failures.

The article does mention that SpaceX didn't consider them failures, but experiments.
« Last Edit: 10/07/2017 03:55 PM by Oberon_Command »

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 751
  • Likes Given: 1503
The first paragraph of the article makes it clear that it's supposed to be a motivational piece, not a rhetorical castigation of Elon Musk or SpaceX. Steve Jobs getting kicked out of his own company is also mentioned. It appears the point the article is trying to make is that "failing" at something doesn't mean you're a failure forever or that success is out of reach even after multiple failures.

The article does mention that SpaceX didn't consider them failures, but experiments.

I noticed that, but they still had to include them in the infographic.  But there were a lot of things on there I did not know.

Offline Patchouli

• Liked: 128
  • Likes Given: 220
This comes to mind.

Though I would not called the rockets lost on landing on the drone ships a total failure as they did deliver their payload and the landings were a secondary objective.
« Last Edit: 10/08/2017 05:14 PM by Patchouli »

Offline JAFO

• Liked: 163
  • Likes Given: 132
In a way it says a lot about our modern society. Everyone gets a participant ribbon, there are no winners or losers, it's all about making everyone happy and singing Kumbaya. But I've failed plenty: had bad days in the sim or said the wrong thing to my wife, learned from it, and done better next time.
« Last Edit: 10/08/2017 10:42 PM by JAFO »
Anyone can do the job when things are going right. In this business we play for keeps.
— Ernest K. Gann

Offline GreenShrike

• Liked: 118
  • Likes Given: 431
"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." -- attributed to (probably incorrectly) Winston Churchhill

Elon to me seemed quite enthusiastic at IAC. :-)

One thing Churchhill did say was “Success always demands a greater effort.” to Australian Prime Minister Robert Menzies in 1940.

I've cheered SpaceX's success to date, and I happily anticipate their upcoming greater efforts -- and a blooper reel or two along the way would hardly be amiss.
TriOptimum Corporation
Military - Science - Consumer

Tags: