Author Topic: Ringworld to be Made into Series by Amazon  (Read 1637 times)

Offline joncz

• Veteran
  • Atlanta, Georgia
  • Liked: 47
  • Likes Given: 124
Re: Ringworld to be Made into Series by Amazon
« Reply #20 on: 10/03/2017 07:43 PM »
Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space.

-- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Offline A_M_Swallow

• Elite Veteran
  • South coast of England
  • Liked: 248
  • Likes Given: 103
« Reply #21 on: 10/05/2017 02:39 PM »
Like Rama, Ringworld is heavy on world-building but not much on narrative. The first part is largely talking and Exposť, during the second part, the protagonists just go from one place to another, encounter weird people and phenomena, they have little say on the events unfolding, just tag along, then more talking and revelations until the end.

A naive and helpless female protagonist. Breed for luck. Tasp. I think many concepts are very hard to adopt for TV audience. Removing all those hard, unpopular, tedious stuff, there is not much left. A few actions, but not enough. Unless they can pull a Total Recall or Blade Runner on it.

Nobody can possibly do justice to a world that huge, not even Larry Niven himself. Imagine the geography, history, culture, fauna and flora, possibility is endless, but the actual story is such a let down.

"Go from one place to another ...". We are back to wagon trains in space. Early Star Trek.

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 2623
  • Likes Given: 1646
« Reply #22 on: 10/05/2017 06:55 PM »
Amazon will adapt Ringworld, Snow Crash and Lazarus into TV series for Amazon Prime:

https://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2017/09/snow-crash-lazarus-and-ringworld-shows-are-coming-to-amazon-prime/

Most depictions just fail to give an impression of the vast size of Niven's Ringworld. Here is a video that comes close to doing it justice:

As for the prospects for the show (if it indeed happens), I think it could be used as an interesting setting for something, something based on Ringworld rather than a retelling. Because the book plot is not very compelling.

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 2034
  • Likes Given: 623
« Reply #23 on: 10/09/2017 12:51 AM »
As for the prospects for the show (if it indeed happens), I think it could be used as an interesting setting for something, something based on Ringworld rather than a retelling. Because the book plot is not very compelling.

Agreed. I have read the book series - twice. It is still a compelling story if only because of how the immensity of the ringworld boggles the mind. I agree with your premise. A successful series would, like Star Trek, need to be a series of different stories with the common environment and difficulties of the ringworld. That might work. But a story "about" the ringworld would quickly become a one-of, and pass into the list of also rans.
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Online KelvinZero

• Liked: 453
  • Likes Given: 113
« Reply #24 on: 10/09/2017 01:28 AM »
Someone might already have done this (shades of "The Last Ship"), but I was thinking you could have an interesting procedural SF based around an aircraft carrier somehow transported to a ringworld.

It could be essentially the exact same plot setup as star trek voyager, but done with present day technology.

Tags: