Author Topic: Rapper B.o.B. raising funds to launch satellites to check if Earth is flat  (Read 2498 times)

Online david1971

• Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 5005
A few years ago I had the honor of flying on SOFIA.  In the recent past I've had people tell me that it's the "real Hubble", that NASA uses a 747 with a big telescope to fake all of those photos.  Because a billion-dollar aircraft is better than Photoshop?

Offline Svetoslav

• Veteran
  • Bulgaria
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 38
What I find particularly special about this is that he acknowledges that rockets actually go to space, but somehow everything else is faked.  Most flat-earthers seem to be of the opinion that its impossible to go to space.

I just can't wrap my head around that kind of logic and partial denial.

Not all flat earthers are like this. One of my flat earthers friends said he believes that the satellites are making circles around the plane.

But now, on-topic.

OK, guys I'm a commercial spaceflight proponent. With other words, I believe that some day space should become available to the masses. Everybody should have an access to a satellite or at least to suborbital tourism.

But if everyone is able to go to space, should we question their motives?

I mean, years ago I was quite mad when Gui Laliberte went to space. I was a young boy, 22 yrs old. Now I'm almost 30 and my view has changed quite much.

Offline savuporo

• Liked: 946
  • Likes Given: 338
What I find particularly special about this is that he acknowledges that rockets actually go to space, but somehow everything else is faked.  Most flat-earthers seem to be of the opinion that its impossible to go to space.

I just can't wrap my head around that kind of logic and partial denial.

What partial denial ? You just lower the rope across the edge of the disc, just like the great astrozoologists of Krull did, while trying to determine the gender of the Great A'Tuin
Orion - the first and only manned not-too-deep-space craft

Offline Svetoslav

• Veteran
  • Bulgaria
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 38
Meanwhile, astronaut Terry Virts:

I can save BoB a lot of money- The Earth is round.   I flew around it.

https://twitter.com/AstroTerry

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 1274
  • Likes Given: 168
Meanwhile, astronaut Terry Virts:

I can save BoB a lot of money- The Earth is round.   I flew around it.

https://twitter.com/AstroTerry

B.O.B. really needs to look up the definitions of the words satellite and orbit as this would also save him & others money. Or why we have day and night.
« Last Edit: 09/27/2017 04:39 PM by Star One »

Online mn

• United States
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 31
I think this thread is intended to be humor only.

Any serious arguments to prove that the earth is round is probably off topic.

Online spacenut

• East Alabama
  • Liked: 297
  • Likes Given: 191
Let B.o.B. pay for a flight around the world on Soyuz or Dragon when they become available.  Let him spend his money so that someone can gain the profit to use to further space. 

Offline mme

• Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
  • Liked: 1231
  • Likes Given: 3063
I think this thread is intended to be humor only.

Any serious arguments to prove that the earth is round is probably off topic.
The fact that their are Flat Earthers in 2017 is not funny.
Space is not Highlander.  There can, and will, be more than one.

Offline eric z

• Liked: 99
  • Likes Given: 271
 Please let me state this again more clearly- IMHO- this is what is called a "put-on". Bob is not serious. They are doing this for the sake of publicity, exactly like a few space projects that come up around here once in awhile. Humour is OK; this can be a very-dry site sometimes, though some people have made me laugh my behind-off. Any indignation from us just plays into their hand. They are trying to get a rise out of people, which translates into sales and gigs and $$. I'm from the record biz and I've seen a lot of this over the years. Yes, Virginia, there are MLIFakers and Flat-Brainers out there but this particular case is not one of them. If I am wrong, I will volunteer to do a year at the DSG...
 I actually admire this escapade, because it is stimulating a discussion about a scientific-issue that teachers and educators can focus their students on, so hopefully a lot of good will come of it down the road.
 We can't even make UFO jokes anymore; it might have been a drone they saw that night!
« Last Edit: 09/27/2017 06:12 PM by eric z »

Offline mme

• Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
  • Liked: 1231
  • Likes Given: 3063
Please let me state this again more clearly- IMHO- this is what is called a "put-on". Bob is not serious. They are doing this for the sake of publicity, exactly like a few space projects that come up around here once in awhile. Humour is OK; this can be a very-dry site sometimes, though some people have made me laugh my behind-off. Any indignation from us just plays into their hand. They are trying to get a rise out of people, which translates into sales and gigs and $$. I'm from the record biz and I've seen a lot of this over the years. Yes, Virginia, there are MLIFakers and Flat-Brainers out there but this particular case is not one of them. If I am wrong, I will volunteer to do a year at the DSG...
 I actually admire this escapade, because it is stimulating a discussion about a scientific-issue that teachers and educators can focus their students on, so hopefully a lot of good will come of it down the road.
 We can't even make UFO jokes anymore; it might have been a drone they saw that night!
I worry how this will play out. Even if it is a "put-on", he can influence his audience.  I don't really care if doubling-down on the crazy is helpful for his career and he doesn't really believe it.  As a matter of fact it could be worse if he is doing it purely for attention.  If it works, why would he ever stop? Kickstarter not funded? Shut down by the elites! Got back pictures of the "curve"? Someone hacked the project!

I hope he gets the satellite launched and I hope he then becomes a "Ball Earther." But I've seen enough crazy and I don't think that's how this will play out.

On a lighter note, maybe we could rewrite the lyrics to "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" as "50 Ways to be a Curver"?
Space is not Highlander.  There can, and will, be more than one.

Offline eric z

• Liked: 99
  • Likes Given: 271
 mme- you may be making me rethink this thing- In the Age of the Fake News can we afford the luxury of laughing off these type of stunts? Very probably not? What's next:" Invisible Plutonians are eating our Honey Bees" in the supermarket tabloids?

Online Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 5102
  • Likes Given: 3405
If I am wrong, I will volunteer to do a year at the DSG...

How exactly is that a punishment? I might be missing something there.

Yes, this site is pretty dry. Most people like it that way.... that's not the same as completely humorless. (not intended to start a conversation on the nature of humor)
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 700
  • Likes Given: 1322
Let B.o.B. pay for a flight around the world on Soyuz or Dragon when they become available.  Let him spend his money so that someone can gain the profit to use to further space. 
For a lot less money - relatively speaking - BoB can book a MIG-31 or MIG-29 flight near Moscow through 'Space Adventures' and other agencies. They will zoom him up to 70,000 feet - over 21km - where he could see the subtle curve of the Earth for himself. Or; send up a weather balloon-derivative with a fixed-focus camera to over 120,000 feet - 36km - and take pictures. End of story...

The MIGs can actually go a lot higher than 70,000 - but then the aircraft becomes harder to control sometimes, which might put the passenger's life in danger.
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Online KelvinZero

• Liked: 453
  • Likes Given: 113
He can presumably afford an hour-long call to one of his friends somewhere where it is noon while he watches the sun set.

Tags: