Author Topic: Thomas Kelly (GRUMMAN Chief Engineer) explains lunar module  (Read 1008 times)

Offline catdlr

• Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 1344
  • Likes Given: 793
"Landing on the Moon" Thomas Kelly (GRUMMAN Chief Engineer) explains how the lunar module works.

Dan Beaumont Space Museum
Published on Sep 9, 2017

This 1966 MIT Science Reporter television program details the development and construction of the Lunar Excursion Module (LEM), the only vehicle of the three Apollo spacecraft modules that actually lands on the moon. Project engineer Thomas Kelly gives a tour of the LEM at Grumman Aircraft in Long Island, NY, and demonstrates the LEM Automatic Checkout System, while test pilot Robert Smyth demonstrates the lunar landing simulator via an electronic computer-controlled model of the Moon. The program is presented by MIT in association with WGBH-TV Boston, and hosted by MIT reporter John Fitch; it was produced for NASA. MIT Museum Collections.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikYHsXF_k0Q?t=001

Offline HDTVGuy

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 1
Catdlr How do you find all of these great videos?

Thanks for sharing.

Offline catdlr

• Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 1344
  • Likes Given: 793
Catdlr How do you find all of these great videos?

Thanks for sharing.

When you're retired, you have plenty of time.  ;)
« Last Edit: 09/13/2017 04:50 AM by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa

Offline mtakala24

I think this video was also included in one of the Spacecraft Films DVD:s. It might have been one of the Aeronautics And Space Report discs.

Offline joncz

• Veteran
  • Atlanta, Georgia
  • Liked: 46
  • Likes Given: 123
Apropos of nothing, Spider was my favorite episode of From the Earth to the Moon

Offline mtakala24

joncz, mine too. It just fantastic.

Offline ThereIWas3

• Liked: 250
  • Likes Given: 210
Kelly wrote a book about the entire project.  It is amazing the thing worked at all.  When the first one was shipped to KSC (before it was finished), the NASA guy there refused to sign for it because it was in such bad shape.

"Spider" was my favorite episode as well.  "Al Bean is going to the Moon!".  I can't afford his paintings, but I do have Al Bean's book about the mission which has copies of many of them.
"If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up people to collect wood and don’t assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea" - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Offline Oersted

• Liked: 302
  • Likes Given: 174
Here is Tom Kelly's great book about L(E)M development:

https://www.amazon.com/Moon-Lander-Developed-Smithsonian-Spaceflight/dp/1588342735

A wonderful read. The development was really high-pressure, with terrible time and weight constraints. It took a hard toll on the people who worked on the spacecraft.

Tags: