Author Topic: PT Telkom's Telkom-1 satellite may be breaking apart.  (Read 3547 times)

Online AncientU

• Liked: 2666
  • Likes Given: 3763
More debris in GEO...

It looks like yet another satellite is breaking apart at GEO

On August 26, the Indonesia based, state-owned satellite operator PT Telkom disclosed an "anomaly" in the pointing of its satellite (Telkom-1) in geostationary orbit. Company officials said that although they and contractor Lockheed Martin expected to restore service to the satellite, it was moving customers to another satellite as a precautionary measure.

However, new evidence gathered by a US-based firm that tracks objects in geostationary orbit, ExoAnalytic Solutions, suggests the satellite may be falling apart.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/08/it-looks-like-yet-another-satellite-is-breaking-apart-at-geo/

Edit/Lar: split out to form new topic, added name of satellite, revised subject
« Last Edit: 08/31/2017 03:19 AM by Lar »
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 2421
  • Likes Given: 793
Re: PT Telkom's Telkom-1 satellite may be breaking apart.
« Reply #1 on: 08/31/2017 08:16 AM »
PT Telkom, @LockheedMartin to cease Telkom-1 salvage effort; sat to be shut down to avoid interfering w/ others.
https://twitter.com/pbdes/status/903163229769273344

More info: https://www.spaceintelreport.com/pt-telkom-scrambles-repoint-customer-dishes-telkom-1-antenna-problem/

Offline DatUser14

• Liked: 94
  • Likes Given: 134
« Reply #2 on: 08/31/2017 10:23 AM »
Two questions;

1, is this bird located near AMC-9(which just failed)
2, do they have a similar bus?
Where can I apply for SpaceX fanboy?.

Offline eeergo

• Phystronaut
  • Global Moderator
  • Milan, Italy; Spain; Virginia
  • Liked: 404
  • Likes Given: 325
« Reply #3 on: 08/31/2017 10:33 AM »
Excellent video by ExoAnalytics on the energetic event (explosion?) that affected Telkom-1:

Online Olaf

• Germany
  • Liked: 101
  • Likes Given: 164
« Reply #4 on: 08/31/2017 11:29 AM »
Two questions;
http://spaceflight101.com/telkom-1-satellite-involved-in-debris-event/
The abrupt orbit change, separation of debris and possible tumble is reminiscent of what happened in June to the AMC-9 satellite – posted on the opposite side of planet.
Different manufacturer
SES said it was working with spacecraft manufacturer Thales Alenia Space
Telkom 1 is based on Lockheed Martin’s popular A2100 satellite platform
« Last Edit: 08/31/2017 11:33 AM by Olaf »

Online Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 515
  • Likes Given: 584
« Reply #5 on: 08/31/2017 12:48 PM »
As far as I know, this hasn't been revealed yet (probably won't). That said, it would be interesting to know if SES and PT Telkon had any prior indication that the spacecraft had problems. Any anomalous telemetry? Any station-keeping burns that didn't quite work out right? Problems maintaining signal lock? Or was the first warning anyone got when the telemetry screens suddenly went dead?

The answer to this question would do a lot to answer the question: MMOD strike or component failure?
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline DatUser14

• Liked: 94
  • Likes Given: 134
« Reply #6 on: 08/31/2017 12:56 PM »
Two questions;
http://spaceflight101.com/telkom-1-satellite-involved-in-debris-event/
The abrupt orbit change, separation of debris and possible tumble is reminiscent of what happened in June to the AMC-9 satellite – posted on the opposite side of planet.
Different manufacturer
SES said it was working with spacecraft manufacturer Thales Alenia Space
Telkom 1 is based on Lockheed Martin’s popular A2100 satellite platform
Thank you!
Where can I apply for SpaceX fanboy?.

Offline eeergo

• Phystronaut
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: 08/31/2017 03:42 PM »
As far as I know, this hasn't been revealed yet (probably won't). That said, it would be interesting to know if SES and PT Telkon had any prior indication that the spacecraft had problems. Any anomalous telemetry? Any station-keeping burns that didn't quite work out right? Problems maintaining signal lock? Or was the first warning anyone got when the telemetry screens suddenly went dead?

The answer to this question would do a lot to answer the question: MMOD strike or component failure?

Pointing problems surfaced on the 25th, 4 days before the energetic event. They were in the process of transitioning capacity to Telkom-2 and -3S, and this process was expected to be completed on the 30th. From the 25th to the 29th, they still retained control (with what troubles, if any, has not transpired).

Also, it carried a factory-defective solar array drive mechanism in its south wing, but this was not deemed a critical issue - LM had given estimates of at least 2019 for nominal operations.
-DaviD-

Online Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 515
  • Likes Given: 584
« Reply #8 on: 08/31/2017 04:20 PM »
'Pointing problems'. Would that mean a possible fault in the attitude control system?
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Online LouScheffer

• Liked: 1668
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #9 on: 08/31/2017 05:36 PM »
Excellent video by ExoAnalytics on the energetic event (explosion?) that affected Telkom-1:

Was this just coincidence that ExoAnalytics was watching at the time of the event?  Or did previous inklings of problems mean that ExoAnalytics was keeping a close eye on this particular satellite?

Offline eeergo

• Phystronaut
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: 08/31/2017 05:52 PM »

Was this just coincidence that ExoAnalytics was watching at the time of the event?  Or did previous inklings of problems mean that ExoAnalytics was keeping a close eye on this particular satellite?

From their website:

ExoAnalytic Solutions maintains a catalog of one-meter sized objects in the near-GEO region. We typically collect measurements on ~1,500 man-made space objects each night and use these measurements to maintain an independent space catalog

That would cover most of the sizeable objects in near-GEO, and definitely the operational ones.
-DaviD-

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 2561
  • Likes Given: 1569
« Reply #11 on: 08/31/2017 06:10 PM »

Where do they get footage like this? Is the entire geostationary belt under constant surveillance for incidents like this?

Online LouScheffer

• Liked: 1668
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #12 on: 08/31/2017 08:21 PM »
From their website:
ExoAnalytic Solutions maintains a catalog of one-meter sized objects in the near-GEO region. We typically collect measurements on ~1,500 man-made space objects each night and use these measurements to maintain an independent space catalog
That would cover most of the sizeable objects in near-GEO, and definitely the operational ones.
OK, but do they stare at the whole belt all night long, or just visit each one every night or so to build their catalog?  There's another GSO object in the upper right of their video, so the field of view is not tiny.  But staring at the whole belt all night long would still be overkill, if your object is to keep a catalog updated.

Online Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 697
  • Likes Given: 2067
« Reply #13 on: 09/01/2017 07:43 AM »
Where do they get footage like this? Is the entire geostationary belt under constant surveillance for incidents like this?

I wondered the same. But after thinking a bit about it, its not that complicated. They just need a relatively cheap telescope and a web cam without optics, a tripod and clear skies. Would think equipment way below 500 Euro. They can tile the relevant part of the sky with a few of these. Given that these are GEO sats, they dont even need tracking. Just setup once. Constant monitoring of these birds would be a very easy setup to do and probably pays quite well with governments and other organizations that dont have their own monitoring system.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 1235
  • Likes Given: 168
« Reply #14 on: 09/01/2017 07:58 AM »

I wondered the same. But after thinking a bit about it, its not that complicated. They just need a relatively cheap telescope and a web cam without optics, a tripod and clear skies. Would think equipment way below 500 Euro. They can tile the relevant part of the sky with a few of these. Given that these are GEO sats, they dont even need tracking. Just setup once. Constant monitoring of these birds would be a very easy setup to do and probably pays quite well with governments and other organizations that dont have their own monitoring system.

I imagine who they are allowed to sell this data is heavily restricted by government licensing, this kind of data isn't going to be allowed to be sold in some kind of free for all considering its national security interest.

Online Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 697
  • Likes Given: 2067
« Reply #15 on: 09/01/2017 09:15 AM »

I imagine who they are allowed to sell this data is heavily restricted by government licensing, this kind of data isn't going to be allowed to be sold in some kind of free for all considering its national security interest.

To collect that data is so easy, I cant imagine it being subject to government regulation. There are even amateurs regularly tracking, filming and publishing data regarding NRO sats. The professional satellite tracking stuff requires real telescopes (4m diameter and more) with fast tracking, active mirrors for mirror shape correction, active secondaries for atmospheric turbulence correction and a lot of computing power to actually run the whole show. I have no insight but I am sure if set up correctly, they can watch the astronauts in the ISS cupola pick their noses. THAT kind of data would be relevant for national security for sure.

Bit of a story I heard: There was a guy some years ago, who did lucky imaging with a >1m telescope on shuttle missions arriving at the MIR. He was actually able to see the windows of the space shuttles. As a result, the NSA came knocking on his door. But that kind of stuff is vastly more advanced than what what is shown in the video.

@edit: Story was about the MIR, not ISS. Sorry.
« Last Edit: 09/01/2017 09:22 AM by Semmel »

Online woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 2631
  • Likes Given: 781
« Reply #16 on: 09/01/2017 11:00 AM »

"National security interest"? You can't be serious.
Everyone with a reasonably clear view of the equatorial belt and a good telescope can do these kind of observations. Heck, there are loads of amateur sat-observers who do this all the time. Courtesy of them comsats having a relative fixed position in the sky.
LEO sats and SSO sats are also tracked by amateurs regularly. It is not a forbidden practice and it is allowed to publish the footage.
Once a satellite gets up there it is for all to see. Just check YouTube for several hundreds of examples.

Here's one from my favourite satellite:

And how about this one? Observation of the ISS by the Public Observatory in Munich (Germany). You think the NSA is going to invade Germany over this one? Don't think so.
« Last Edit: 09/01/2017 11:32 AM by woods170 »

Online woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 2631
  • Likes Given: 781
« Reply #17 on: 09/01/2017 11:36 AM »

To collect that data is so easy, I cant imagine it being subject to government regulation. There are even amateurs regularly tracking, filming and publishing data regarding NRO sats. The professional satellite tracking stuff requires real telescopes (4m diameter and more) with fast tracking, active mirrors for mirror shape correction, active secondaries for atmospheric turbulence correction and a lot of computing power to actually run the whole show. I have no insight but I am sure if set up correctly, they can watch the astronauts in the ISS cupola pick their noses. THAT kind of data would be relevant for national security for sure.

Bit of a story I heard: There was a guy some years ago, who did lucky imaging with a >1m telescope on shuttle missions arriving at the MIR. He was actually able to see the windows of the space shuttles. As a result, the NSA came knocking on his door. But that kind of stuff is vastly more advanced than what what is shown in the video.

@edit: Story was about the MIR, not ISS. Sorry.

That particular story is a fine example of an urban myth. I've heard a similar story multiple times from multiple sources but not a single one of those sources can pinpoint the origin of the story. Nor has it ever been proven that this story actually happened.

Online AncientU

• Liked: 2666
  • Likes Given: 3763
« Reply #18 on: 09/01/2017 01:02 PM »

That works for one segment of the belt visible from your location.  A network circling the globe would be needed for full coverage -- large oceanic regions particularly difficult.  Not a 500 Euro problem.
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Online kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1015
  • Likes Given: 232
« Reply #19 on: 09/01/2017 01:22 PM »
Actually, if you dig through the Sky and Telescope archives, about mid 1990's (maybe early 2000's) when the techniques first became available to amateurs, they had a long article with very high res pictures of Mir (ISS) (taken with an 8" Schmidt if I remember) and an interview with the photographer. In it he mentions having some sort of interesting conversation with a government entity about it. Nothing as sinister as they came knocking on his door, but a conversation, and is probably the source of the "myth".

Besides, NSA is signals intelligence and not imaging....
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Tags: