Author Topic: SpaceX Spacesuit Revealed  (Read 161369 times)

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: SpaceX Spacesuit Revealed
« Reply #160 on: 09/12/2017 02:19 am »
Please, no critical crew members in red!

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1809
  • Likes Given: 1302
« Reply #161 on: 09/12/2017 10:40 am »
Please, no critical crew members in red!

Depends if you think the uniform colour schemes from ST:TOS have more weight than the uniform colour scheme from ST:TNG where one J L Picard was a red shirt! :P

Offline TripD

• Peace
  • Liked: 851
  • Likes Given: 677
« Reply #162 on: 09/12/2017 10:31 pm »
Comparing the two images I have seen of the helmet,  I have to say that the one on the right just looks like a mock-up.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #163 on: 09/13/2017 01:20 am »
I think you're right. Photographer crewman said the one on the right was a jumpsuit.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline su27k

• Liked: 9100
  • Likes Given: 885
« Reply #164 on: 09/13/2017 04:39 am »
Comparing the two images I have seen of the helmet,  I have to say that the one on the right just looks like a mock-up.

The one on the right is created by the artist Wojciech Michalski based on the old leaked photo of the suit, not an official SpaceX release:

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?198191-Wojciech-Michalski-SketchBook/page7&p=1209848&infinite=1#post1209848

Offline jpo234

• Liked: 2280
  • Likes Given: 2184
« Reply #165 on: 09/13/2017 06:34 am »
I think you're right. Photographer crewman said the one on the right was a jumpsuit.

Jumpsuit as in "a one-piece garment with sleeves and legs and typically without integral coverings for feet, hands or head". It was a description of the design, not an implication that it was just a mock up.

And just to dive deeper into the Wikipedia rabbit hole, here is what it says about flight suit: "Its appearance is usually similar to a jumpsuit."
« Last Edit: 09/13/2017 06:39 am by jpo234 »
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #166 on: 09/13/2017 08:13 am »

Jumpsuit as in "a one-piece garment with sleeves and legs and typically without integral coverings for feet, hands or head". It was a description of the design, not an implication that it was just a mock up.

And just to dive deeper into the Wikipedia rabbit hole, here is what it says about flight suit: "Its appearance is usually similar to a jumpsuit."
Youve mostly convinced me.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1809
  • Likes Given: 1302
« Reply #167 on: 09/13/2017 04:23 pm »
Anyone have any idea how the helmet comes off?

Also can the visor be open separately?

Online meberbs

• Liked: 3379
  • Likes Given: 777
« Reply #168 on: 09/13/2017 04:44 pm »
I believe the answer is yes based on the below statement:

On reddit is a post from somebody who (claims to have) participated in the photo shoot:

https://www.reddit.com/r/space/comments/6yxovo/elon_musk_shares_first_fullbody_photo_of_spacexs/dmrabou

Well, I'm flattered! But I'm not sure how much I can tell you – surely it wouldn't be worth an entire AMA.

But let's see... the new space suit was definitely a jump suit, and definitely didn't let any air in. The man inside (he wore the thing for like 8 hours straight while we were shooting + lighting, no joke) needed the visor to be lifted after about every 5-10 shots so he could breathe. We had someone with a large ventilation tube on standby, to sort of shoot cool air into his face while we were going over the shots, adjusting his positioning, lighting, etc.

Offline litton4

• Liked: 396
  • Likes Given: 149
« Reply #169 on: 09/13/2017 06:56 pm »

I'm reminded of this......

« Last Edit: 09/13/2017 06:57 pm by litton4 »
Dave Condliffe

Offline TripD

• Peace
« Reply #170 on: 09/17/2017 02:35 am »
I'm reminded of this......

That is iconic.  On the other hand, I made a first attempt at modeling it and as I blundered along I was reminded more of a toilet seat than a helmet.  I needs more references!

Offline cferreir

« Reply #171 on: 09/18/2017 11:05 pm »

On reddit is a post from somebody who (claims to have) participated in the photo shoot:

https://www.reddit.com/r/space/comments/6yxovo/elon_musk_shares_first_fullbody_photo_of_spacexs/dmrabou

Well, I'm flattered! But I'm not sure how much I can tell you – surely it wouldn't be worth an entire AMA.

But let's see... the new space suit was definitely a jump suit, and definitely didn't let any air in. The man inside (he wore the thing for like 8 hours straight while we were shooting + lighting, no joke) needed the visor to be lifted after about every 5-10 shots so he could breathe. We had someone with a large ventilation tube on standby, to sort of shoot cool air into his face while we were going over the shots, adjusting his positioning, lighting, etc.

So where are all the connectors for air and comms? The Boeing suit showed them. Why weren't the photographers using those connectors??? Seems like the SpaceX suit has a longer way to go.

Offline smfarmer11

• Blacksburg
  • Liked: 21
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #172 on: 09/18/2017 11:25 pm »

So where are all the connectors for air and comms? The Boeing suit showed them. Why weren't the photographers using those connectors??? Seems like the SpaceX suit has a longer way to go.

SpaceX by now has had to complete a couple milestones for suit integration that would require those connections if I remember right. Therefore if this is a flight model they would have to be low profile or somehow hidden in the pictures.

Offline Jcc

• Liked: 404
  • Likes Given: 203
« Reply #173 on: 09/19/2017 12:22 am »
From reports, the space suit photo shoot lasted most of a day, so there are many pictures we haven't seen yet. This is just a tease.

Offline TripD

• Peace
« Reply #174 on: 09/19/2017 12:57 am »
From reports, the space suit photo shoot lasted most of a day, so there are many pictures we haven't seen yet. This is just a tease.

Which photo-shoot, and which suit?

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #175 on: 09/19/2017 04:58 am »

Which photo-shoot, and which suit?

DM

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18197
  • Likes Given: 12158
« Reply #176 on: 09/19/2017 06:05 am »

"All" the connectors? If you take a good hard look at the Boeing suit you will notice exactly two connectors. One for air and one for comms. The latter is, from most views, pretty much hidden behind the left arm.
What you failed to notice is that the Boeing suit is a fine example of functionality-over-looks. The SpaceX suit is different. It quite literally has looks-over-functionality in the sense that the cool-looking exterior is a shell over the actual pressure-suit. The connectors for the SpaceX suit are mounted on the actual pressure suit and are covered by a flap that is part of the exterior shell. You don't design a slick looking exterior with fancy helmet-to-match and than have that whole picture ruined by two connectors sticking out.
Stop thinking the NASA/Boeing way and start thinking the Elon way.

Offline Ludus

• Liked: 1255
  • Likes Given: 1017
« Reply #177 on: 09/19/2017 02:34 pm »
The traditional approach doesn't seem to be functionality over looks as much as no consideration of looks at all beyond things like color or putting a logo patch on it.

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4164
  • Likes Given: 6078
« Reply #178 on: 09/19/2017 02:48 pm »

"All" the connectors? If you take a good hard look at the Boeing suit you will notice exactly two connectors. One for air and one for comms. The latter is, from most views, pretty much hidden behind the left arm.
What you failed to notice is that the Boeing suit is a fine example of functionality-over-looks. The SpaceX suit is different. It quite literally has looks-over-functionality in the sense that the cool-looking exterior is a shell over the actual pressure-suit. The connectors for the SpaceX suit are mounted on the actual pressure suit and are covered by a flap that is part of the exterior shell. You don't design a slick looking exterior with fancy helmet-to-match and than have that whole picture ruined by two connectors sticking out.
Stop thinking the NASA/Boeing way and start thinking the Elon way.

Just curious, why a connector for comms?  Aren't we a bit past that technology-wise?
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline StuffOfInterest

• Just interested in space
  • McLean, Virginia, USA
  • Liked: 920
  • Likes Given: 231
« Reply #179 on: 09/19/2017 02:54 pm »
Just curious, why a connector for comms?  Aren't we a bit past that technology-wise?

I would not want to rely on wireless for short-range comms.  Better a hardline to avoid interference from the long range comms and any RF noise in the cabin.  Too many things that could go wrong just to have one less connector.

Being that there will already be a connector for air, I'd make that an umbilical that carries both air and comms through one connection.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography