Author Topic: 2017 US Eclipse thread  (Read 33413 times)

Offline yokem55

• Oregon (Ore-uh-gun dammit)
  • Liked: 468
  • Likes Given: 13
Re: 2017 US Eclipse thread
« Reply #20 on: 08/20/2017 04:32 pm »
We're now T- 1 Day to the start folks. Here in Bend the smoke is mostly blowing due south at the moment. Weather looks clear. Looking at ODOT's tripcheck webcams, traffic heading into Central Oregon highways is pretty light at the moment.

I'm getting the van packed up today/this evening to haul the kids out of bed at Oh-dark-thirty and sneak out of town on back roads to head to Prineville and get as far north of there as possible. The only catch thus far is my 14 year old daughter is really insisting on not going. No amount of bribery or cajoling is improving her outlook on the matter either. Le Sigh.....

Offline whitelancer64

« Reply #21 on: 08/20/2017 05:13 pm »
Hmmmm, is 97% good enough or do I get up in the middle of the night and try to drive 100 miles?  I'm such a procrastinator.

If you're that close to totality, well, I'd drive it.
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
  • Liked: 60430
  • Likes Given: 1305
« Reply #22 on: 08/20/2017 05:55 pm »
 Wandering around Casper. Walmart is letting people park overnight if all else fails.
« Last Edit: 08/20/2017 05:56 pm by Nomadd »
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Online jgoldader

• Liked: 322
  • Likes Given: 171
« Reply #23 on: 08/20/2017 06:33 pm »
Hmmmm, is 97% good enough or do I get up in the middle of the night and try to drive 100 miles?  I'm such a procrastinator.

If you're that close to totality, well, I'd drive it.
Indeed.

Partial eclipses aren't the main event, they're mostly the same effect a few hundred miles from totality.

It's the totality that makes the event. Both seeing the outer corona/streamers, as well as watching the shadow approach and depart around you.

Drive it.  I've been in two total (one w/o clouds) and a 98% partial, and the difference is... well... night and day.

We drove 14 hours total to get to SC yesterday, and i've just worked out our last and final bailout plan
(iteration 20 or so), which involves another 2 hours of driving.  Gets us another 30 seconds of totality
and a bit lower chance of clouds.
Recovering astronomer

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
« Reply #24 on: 08/20/2017 06:43 pm »
I think I'm going to stay in Georgia (or maybe the GA-NC border) since so many people are going to SC.  On a normal day getting to the totality area in SC would be easiest, but it's not a normal day  :)

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
2017 US Eclipse thread
« Reply #25 on: 08/20/2017 10:57 pm »
I just arrived in Bend, OR from CA. What about the hype of heavy traffic? Don't believe a word of it... Route 97 (and I-5 yesterday) only had marginally more traffic than during any weekend.

Bend so far looks no more busy than any other decent sized town to my eye.

For those in the Bend/Madras area, here is a good map showing how long the totality will be in different spots. You don't have to drive too far north to quickly get to 1 minute totality, and after that it seems like dwindling benefits to go further to Madras for the full 2 minutes.

The image comes from this link, where they have similar maps from all large areas: https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/best-places-to-view/

I haven't yet decided how far into the totality path I want to drive... it will depend on crowds and traffic.
« Last Edit: 08/20/2017 11:26 pm by Lars-J »

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #26 on: 08/21/2017 12:48 am »
I just looked at the Sweetwater TN web cam. Looked pretty dead. I really feel they have setup for a massive vendor event, not eclipse watchers. Hopefully they will have a nice patch of grass near the food and bathrooms we can grab and setup on.

Just spent the day just outside of Pigeon Forge tubing (another place in the totality path), didn't notice any real bump in the tourist trap's traffic. Was told the traffic I was seeing was from the NASCAR event up in Bristol.

I just have a hard time believing that a million normal non space geeks like us will suddenly driver to these locations.

Btw. Driving from Knoxville to Chattanooga yesterday, signs up and down I-75 saying no parking on the highway during the eclipse. Had to chuckle.
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline yokem55

• Oregon (Ore-uh-gun dammit)
  • Liked: 468
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #27 on: 08/21/2017 01:08 am »
I just arrived in Bend, OR from CA. What about the hype of heavy traffic? Don't believe a word of it... Route 97 (and I-5 yesterday) only had marginally more traffic than during any weekend.

Bend so far looks no more busy than any other decent sized town to my eye.

For those in the Bend/Madras area, here is a good map showing how long the totality will be in different spots. You don't have to drive too far north to quickly get to 1 minute totality, and after that it seems like dwindling benefits to go further to Madras for the full 2 minutes.

The image comes from this link, where they have similar maps from all large areas: https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/best-places-to-view/

I haven't yet decided how far into the totality path I want to drive... it will depend on crowds and traffic.
Welcome to Bend! Agree that the inbound traffic was overblown, but hindsight on this is 20/20. The ODOT traffic camera in Madras though makes it look like they are getting a pretty good crowd.

I have no idea how to estimate traffic tomorrow though. There could be a flood of day trippers who were scared off of staying overnight by the crazy hotel/camping prices, or it could be more of the ho-hum same. I do know a lot of locals will be heading out to see it, as a lot of non-service oriented businesses closed for the day, but most of us know or can find the back routes that avoid the major highways. What that will mean for road traffic? 🤷

Offline Stan-1967

• Denver, Colorado
  • Liked: 1183
  • Likes Given: 614
« Reply #28 on: 08/21/2017 01:25 am »
I got into Casper WY about 4 hours ago.  No traffic problems coming from the west from Sslt Lake City.  5:1 more vehicles turned off towards Yellostone, so maybe more congestion there.   I'm staying about 350 meters from where the google app says is dead center.  I could gain .1 to .2 seconds of totality time if I move from the local park.  I think I'll be fine.   Good sized happy crowds are dispersed well through town. 

Online jimvela

• Liked: 900
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #29 on: 08/21/2017 02:06 am »
Have a great spot up on a hilltop near Esterbrook campground.  It's been awesome so far.  Very friendly locals and plenty of friendly national park service law enforcement.

Sat AM had an amazing view of moon and Venus just at sunrise

Offline Bubbinski

« Reply #30 on: 08/21/2017 02:45 am »
The Riverside Park campground here in Rexburg is now filling up. It's partly cloudy right at this moment but all forecasts are saying it should be clear by eclipse time. Got this shot about 24 hours before eclipse start, note the sunspot group
« Last Edit: 08/21/2017 02:46 am by Bubbinski »
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline eric z

• Liked: 475
  • Likes Given: 2127
« Reply #31 on: 08/21/2017 11:54 am »
 Good Luck and Big Fun to everyone today, but be careful with those eyeballs, please!

Offline Bubbinski

« Reply #32 on: 08/21/2017 12:24 pm »
Dawn in Rexburg
« Last Edit: 08/21/2017 12:28 pm by Bubbinski »
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Online jgoldader

• Liked: 322
  • Likes Given: 171
« Reply #33 on: 08/21/2017 12:53 pm »
We drove from Charleston SC to Columbia this morning, reserved a parking spot at a park near the university, and are enjoying breakfast at a little cafe.  Weather looks great so far.
Recovering astronomer

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #34 on: 08/21/2017 01:18 pm »
https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/
Have a safe and happy viewing everyone! 8)
« Last Edit: 08/21/2017 01:42 pm by Rocket Science »
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline bad_astra

• Liked: 316
  • Likes Given: 553
« Reply #35 on: 08/21/2017 02:11 pm »
We live 10 miles from the path of totality. I'll ride home at lunch to see it.
"Contact Light" -Buzz Aldrin

Offline TakeOff

• Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 115
« Reply #36 on: 08/21/2017 02:42 pm »
Totality is everything!
I've seen an 80% eclipse, and I wouldn't have noticed without looking at that Pacman Sun through a sooted glass (And anyone can do that with his iPhone app anyday). On the ground, everything was in normal daylight. Anyone who wants a memorable experience should go to where the total eclipse occurs. Partial is nothing like it. Partial will only be a big disappointment. Total will be an experience.
« Last Edit: 08/21/2017 02:44 pm by TakeOff »

Online mikes

• Norwich, UK
  • Liked: 74
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #37 on: 08/21/2017 02:48 pm »
Atop a ski-lift in Teton Village, Wyoming. Bacon & egg roll consumed, now just need to wait a couple of hours and hope the light cloud disperses!
Traffic around Jackson lighter than we expected, but parking is tight in TV (good buses saved that issue)

Online darkenfast

• Liked: 1829
  • Likes Given: 8739
« Reply #38 on: 08/21/2017 04:04 pm »
Hah! My Curse of the Clouds did not follow me from England (1999)!  Going outside to watch in Western Oregon.  Have a great eclipse, everyone!
Writer of Book and Lyrics for musicals "SCAR", "Cinderella!", and "Aladdin!". Retired Naval Security Group. "I think SCAR is a winner. Great score, [and] the writing is up there with the very best!"
-- Phil Henderson, Composer of the West End musical "The Far Pavilions".

Offline Mapperuo

• Assistant Webmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Yorkshire
  • Liked: 533
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #39 on: 08/21/2017 04:30 pm »
God forbid NASA TV actually show the eclipse. Seems to be mostly talking heads so far.

EDIT: Seems Ustream had a global failure. Got views now!
« Last Edit: 08/21/2017 04:42 pm by Mapperuo »
- Aaron

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography