Author Topic: Mo Brooks' future?  (Read 706 times)

Offline Proponent

• Liked: 749
  • Likes Given: 511
Mo Brooks' future?
« on: 08/14/2017 10:45 AM »
House space subcommittee member Mo Brooks of Alabama is running for the Senate seat vacated by Jeff Sessions when he became Attorney General.  Do the rules of Alabama's Republican Party allow him to run for re-election to the House if, as seems likely, he fails to win the Party's nomination for Senate?

I ask, because the rules of Maryland's Democratic Party prevented subcommittee member Donna Edwards from running for re-election after she failed to win the Party's nomination in 2016 for the Senate seat vacated by the retiring Barbara Miklulski.

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Commonwealth of Virginia
  • Liked: 191
  • Likes Given: 560
Re: Mo Brooks' future?
« Reply #1 on: 08/15/2017 10:08 PM »
I don't see the issue...

If Mo Brooks wins the series of special elections for Jeff Sessions' Senate seat, then his House seat is vacant.  I don't know Alabama election law, but I suspect that the seat would likely remain vacant until the next regular House of Representatives election in 2018.

(State law could provide for a special election to fill the House vacancy, but the winner of that special election would be Representative for a term spanning the remainder of 2018 between that special election and the seating of the 116th United States Congress in January 2019.)

If Brooks loses his run for the Senate, then he's still got his House seat, and can choose to run for re-election in 2018.

The state Republican party apparatus can't ban an eligible candidate from standing for an election.

State law COULD ban him from running for two elective offices with simultaneously-starting terms (as in your example).

Or the state party committee could reject a request to insert oneself into an party election process that already chosen a candidate via primary or state convention.

Re: Donna Edwards

The 2016 Maryland primary elections were all on the same date (IIRC). Anthony Brown won the Democratic primary for her House district on the same day that she lost the Senate primary.

(I see Maryland 4th is a wonderfully-gerrymandered district!)
« Last Edit: 08/15/2017 10:29 PM by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium!

Offline Proponent

• Liked: 749
  • Likes Given: 511
Re: Mo Brooks' future?
« Reply #2 on: 08/16/2017 08:49 AM »
The state Republican party apparatus can't ban an eligible candidate from standing for an election.

OK, so then the question is whether the Alabama Republican Party has a rule that would stop him from running as a Republican.  I'm guessing not.
« Last Edit: 08/16/2017 09:28 AM by Proponent »

Tags: