Poll

When will SpaceX conduct 1st full power/duration firing of full-scale Raptor?

before end of 2017
2 (2.6%)
H1 2018
15 (19.5%)
H2 2018
20 (26%)
H1 2019
15 (19.5%)
H2 2019
8 (10.4%)
9 (11.7%)
2021 or later
6 (7.8%)
Never as the project will fail, be cancelled, etc, prior to the first full power/duration firing.
2 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Voting closed: 09/07/2017 07:49 pm

Author Topic: POLL: When will SpaceX conduct 1st full power/duration test of fullscale Raptor?  (Read 4191 times)

Offline Rebel44

• Liked: 546
  • Likes Given: 2012
When do you think SpaceX will conduct 1st full power/duration firing of full-scale Raptor?

My guess is June 2018

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
Same., well almost, I went 2H so call it July.

However I added a "never" option for our more skeptical members... I was tempted to add a few more years before we got to Never....
« Last Edit: 08/08/2017 10:34 pm by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline IanThePineapple

I voted H2 2018, I think there will be a few more sub-scales and more fires before a full one is made.

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4164
  • Likes Given: 6078
1H2018.

Should take 6 months starting in September 2016 to validate models with sub-scale firings, few months to tweak full scale design (which I'd assume existed concurrently with sub-scale build), and then start into procuring long lead items such as turbo shafts for the full scale engine.  This would have begun this summer.  Fab of full scale prototype should be done by 1Q2018.  Full scale firings commence immediately on Raptor Stand #2 (which is being built as we type); a couple months of 'uneventful' full scale firings validate models again and lead to full power firings by next summer.

Flight qualified by summer 2019.
« Last Edit: 08/08/2017 11:39 pm by AncientU »
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81620
  • Likes Given: 36928
I'm rather more cautious/pessimistic on this: H2 2019.

I expect there'll be more than one issue that'll each add months to the schedule. Full scale Raptor is ambitious. I do believe SpaceX will achieve it but even with their skills and experience my feeling is that this is enough into uncharted territory (for them) to take a couple more years.
« Last Edit: 08/09/2017 03:20 am by FutureSpaceTourist »

Offline Barrie

• Planets are a waste of space
  • Liked: 242
  • Likes Given: 3815
I'm one of the jerks that went 'Never', because I think they will have a better idea, decide they don't need it, or some such.  I don't think they will fail.

Offline savuporo

• Liked: 1002
  • Likes Given: 342
I'm one of the jerks that went 'Never', because I think they will have a better idea, decide they don't need it, or some such.  I don't think they will fail.

Ah, the coveted option of 'Before Red Dragon first landing on Mars but after regular Falcon 1 flights start' ?
Orion - the first and only manned not-too-deep-space craft

Online MikeAtkinson

• Bracknell, England
  • Liked: 784
  • Likes Given: 120
2020 - testing and qualification of the sub-scale raptor will keep them busy for a time, then there will be the normal development problems associated with a very ambitious engine. ~3 years does not seem unreasonable.

Offline StvB

• Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 1
1H2018.

Should take 6 months starting in September 2016 to validate models with sub-scale firings, few months to tweak full scale design (which I'd assume existed concurrently with sub-scale build), and then start into procuring long lead items such as turbo shafts for the full scale engine.  This would have begun this summer.  Fab of full scale prototype should be done by 1Q2018.  Full scale firings commence immediately on Raptor Stand #2 (which is being built as we type); a couple months of 'uneventful' full scale firings validate models again and lead to full power firings by next summer.

Thanks for the detailed estimate. When you say `procure', is there any mention that they'll use an external contractor for the turboshafts? I thought they were bringing as much as they could in-house. Any idea who will supply these components?

I'll put my estimate a year or so later, around 2020. It's a very ambitious undertaking and 3 years still feels fast; 2020 gives more room for unanticipated setbacks.
-Steve

Offline john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
  • Liked: 2430
  • Likes Given: 13605
I also went with the first half of 2019, but the far end. I'd thought I was pessimistic. Imagine my surprise at seeing this was the most common vote.  :o

Yes the SX engine team has a lot of experience in the upgrading process on Merlin but GG cycle LOX/RP1 are pretty well known in the US. There's a big knowledge base of the pitfalls and the ways to deal with them.

But AFAIK Raptor will only be the 3rd SC cycle engine ever developed in the US (as opposed to probably 30-40 in the various sizes of orbital and sub orbital GG engines over the decades). It will be the first Methane engine and AFAIK be the first SC with sub cooled propellants as standard (SSME was fired with sub cooled propellants to speed up the chill down cycle. Worked fine).

Methane is neither UDMH or LH2 (what the other 2 SC engines burned). If it's close enough to them there should not be too many surprises.

Trouble is if something does come out of the woodwork there will likely be knock on effects to the whole schedule.

Time will tell if we were all pessimists or if Methane SC engine development is a case of "Here be monsters." :(

MCT ITS BFR SS. The worlds first Methane fueled FFSC engined CFRP SS structure A380 sized aerospaceplane tail sitter capable of Earth & Mars atmospheric flight.First flight to Mars by end of 2022 TBC. T&C apply. Trust nothing. Run your own #s "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof" R. Simberg."Competitve" means cheaper ¬cheap SCramjet proposed 1956. First +ve thrust 2004. US R&D spend to date > $10Bn. #deployed designs. Zero.

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4164
  • Likes Given: 6078
1H2018.

Thanks for the detailed estimate. When you say `procure', is there any mention that they'll use an external contractor for the turboshafts? I thought they were bringing as much as they could in-house. Any idea who will supply these components?

I'll put my estimate a year or so later, around 2020. It's a very ambitious undertaking and 3 years still feels fast; 2020 gives more room for unanticipated setbacks.

Back when they were putting the sub-scale engines together, there was mention of the timeline being dictated by 'long lead' items/procurements.  Could be that some of the high-strength alloys are unique forge or mill runs, even if they do the machining in house.  Turbo-shafts are my best guess at a flavour of unique components which would be needed and not able to be created in-house with additive manufacturing.
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography