Author Topic: Nose tethered BFS Spaceships for artificial gravity during the coastal phase.  (Read 7553 times)

Offline Aussie_Space_Nut

• South Australia
  • Liked: 43
  • Likes Given: 148

Offline corneliussulla

• Liked: 43
  • Likes Given: 19
I think Elon stated that the nose would be pointing towards the Sun during flight. I expect for a couple of reasons 1 so solar array could get most energy 2) to limit the effects of solar energy on fuel required for landing. Also if you spin up the ships would mean the solar arrays would then need to withstand partial G forces. Great idea but probably not realistic

Offline Paul451

• Australia
  • Liked: 607
  • Likes Given: 520
Also if you spin up the ships would mean the solar arrays would then need to withstand partial G forces.

It could make deployment easier, since the (presumably thin-film arrays) wouldn't need a stabilising structure to deploy them, they'd just unroll and "hang", then be rolled back up before despin and landing.

Offline Negan

• Southwest
  • Liked: 39
  • Likes Given: 183
Also if you spin up the ships would mean the solar arrays would then need to withstand partial G forces.

I don't see how the arrays could be so flimsy as to not be able to handle this. The arrays will have to be deployed and retracted hundreds of times during the ship's lifetime.
« Last Edit: 10/16/2017 10:05 PM by Negan »

Offline Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 2126
  • Likes Given: 2562
I think Elon stated that the nose would be pointing towards the Sun during flight. I expect for a couple of reasons 1 so solar array could get most energy 2) to limit the effects of solar energy on fuel required for landing.

During his recent AMA on Reddit Musk said it was to keep the propellant from boiling, since the tanks are not pressurized.

Also if you spin up the ships would mean the solar arrays would then need to withstand partial G forces. Great idea but probably not realistic

As currently designed the solar panels would not operate properly if two BFS were connected via their noses and spun.

Also, I'm not sure anyone knows if there are structural attachments at the nose - which if there isn't then there isn't much to discuss...  :o
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Online envy887

• Liked: 1143
  • Likes Given: 724
I think Elon stated that the nose would be pointing towards the Sun during flight. I expect for a couple of reasons 1 so solar array could get most energy 2) to limit the effects of solar energy on fuel required for landing.

During his recent AMA on Reddit Musk said it was to keep the propellant from boiling, since the tanks are not pressurized.

Also if you spin up the ships would mean the solar arrays would then need to withstand partial G forces. Great idea but probably not realistic

As currently designed the solar panels would not operate properly if two BFS were connected via their noses and spun.

Also, I'm not sure anyone knows if there are structural attachments at the nose - which if there isn't then there isn't much to discuss...  :o

It's a convenient place to lift for vertical integration at the pad, which is required if the booster lands on and stays on the pad.

Tags: