Author Topic: Atlas V - Lunar Mission: Astrobotic Peregrine Lander - 2019  (Read 3352 times)

Offline GWH

Is this still the most cost effective way to achieve its aim?

The Cygnus on Atlas 401 typically requires the extra extended 4m fairing on the Atlas. The cost increase is $8-12M to go to 5m depending on length required.
The additional SRBs cost $20-21M.

Even at $31M I don't think a dedicated launch vehicle would be available at that price.

Going through this some more: if this is a CRS2 mission the Cygnus may already require a 5m fairing + a single SRB (Atlas V 511) if it is for a longer 4 segment Cygnus. I've written out the reasons why in this thread: https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=42815.0

So in that case the additional hardware to co-manifest peregrine is just 2 SRB's and maybe a longer fairing.
Cost of additional fairing length is $2-4 Million, additional 2 SRB's is $10 Million.

So the total cost of hardware for Peregrine is $12-14 Million which is a lot more reasonable given the pricing posted on Astrobotic's website.

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 271
  • Likes Given: 418
Re: Atlas V - Lunar Mission: Astrobotic Peregrine Lander - 2019
« Reply #21 on: 08/23/2017 03:37 AM »

The Cygnus on Atlas 401 typically requires the extra extended 4m fairing on the Atlas. The cost increase is $8-12M to go to 5m depending on length required.

Even at $31M I don't think a dedicated launch vehicle would be available at that price.

Going through this some more: if this is a CRS2 mission the Cygnus may already require a 5m fairing + a single SRB (Atlas V 511) if it is for a longer 4 segment Cygnus. I've written out the reasons why in this thread: https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=42815.0

So in that case the additional hardware to co-manifest peregrine is just 2 SRB's and maybe a longer fairing.
Cost of additional fairing length is $2-4 Million, additional 2 SRB's is $10 Million.

So the total cost of hardware for Peregrine is $12-14 Million which is a lot more reasonable given the pricing posted on Astrobotic's website.

You are forgetting the SYLDA style payload adapter. Which I have no idea of the cost to manufactured and qualified of such an adapter. Will ULA use the Dual Satellite System for this dual manifest payloads?

« Last Edit: 08/23/2017 03:48 AM by Zed_Noir »

Offline russianhalo117

• AR USA / Berlin, DE / Moscow, RF
  • Liked: 656
  • Likes Given: 417
Re: Atlas V - Lunar Mission: Astrobotic Peregrine Lander - 2019
« Reply #22 on: 08/23/2017 03:02 PM »

You are forgetting the SYLDA style payload adapter. Which I have no idea of the cost to manufactured and qualified of such an adapter. Will ULA use the Dual Satellite System for this dual manifest payloads?

A modified version of Atlas DSS-5 is being used.

Offline GWH

Yes was trying to just focus on info that can be found, should have stated that as a missing item.

A modified version of Atlas DSS-5 is being used.

Interesting info, thanks.
Below is the ULA rideshare info on payloads, max upper mass supported by DSS-5 is 5440 kg, 4m dia x 6.1m long lower payload volume.  So a much shorter and possible reinforced version for the 1.5m tall Peregrine and much more massive Cygnus would be needed,
http://www.ulalaunch.com/uploads/docs/Published_Papers/Rideshare/ULA_Rideshare_Capabilities_for_Providing_Low-Cost_Access_to_Space.pdf

Tags: