Author Topic: Charlie Bolden's views on NASA & what Trump admin should do  (Read 1369 times)

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 2422
  • Likes Given: 796
Charles Bolden 'blunt' about Trump and space, says president 'talks a lot'

Posted on July 17, 2017 at 3:22 PM

http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/index.ssf/2017/07/charles_bolden_questions_trump.html

Interesting remarks about EM-1 crew proposal:

"The president had an opportunity after challenging NASA to show how we could put humans on the very first flight of SLS and Orion," Bolden said. He referred to the Trump administration's early request that NASA consider a crew on the first launch of the Space Launch System under development.

NASA said, "It can be done, but it's got a healthy price tag, so we think we ought to stick with the plan we have now...," Bolden said. "The president could have very easily said, 'No, I want to do what I said.' We're going to put a crew on it. Go for it. I'm going to work with Congress and we're going to give you the money to do it.' That's the way we did Apollo."

Bolden goes on to say Robert Lightfoot should be NASA administrator. He backs SLS and thinks the US should partner with China for space exploration.

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is the salient metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 610
  • Likes Given: 314
Bolden: "The president could have very easily said, 'No, I want to do what I said."

Just a reminder that the shuttle was flown crewed the first time, and in an important way, SLS is a more primitive vehicle, since it doesn't fly back.
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 2099
  • Likes Given: 4888
Bolden: "The president could have very easily said, 'No, I want to do what I said."

Just a reminder that the shuttle was flown crewed the first time, and in an important way, SLS is a more primitive vehicle, since it doesn't fly back.
That would mean he would have to "own" a potential catastrophic outcome and as I have observed in the past six months is that he likes to delegate responsibility for pretty much everything... Of course others my differ in opinion...
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob, Physics instructor, aviator, vintage auto racer

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 2676
  • Likes Given: 3772
Speaking of ownership, why didn't Charlie Bolden push manned EM-1 if he thinks it is/was such a great opportunity?
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 6484
  • Likes Given: 4703
Speaking of ownership, why didn't Charlie Bolden push manned EM-1 if he thinks it is/was such a great opportunity?
Because Charlie isn't POTUS.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Tags: