Author Topic: Vice President Mike Pence will visit NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida  (Read 10696 times)

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 2423
  • Likes Given: 1
There was a lot of repetition in this speech. Numerous repeats of phrases like, "With the leadership of Pres. Trump we will start a new era in spaceflight" and rehashing parts of his speech from last month at JSC. Nothing new was really discussed (unless you count the non-space discussion at the start of the speech).

I just went through the written transcript and counted 40 mentions of the word "President."

Offline Chris Bergin

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

July 6, 2017

COALITION FOR DEEP SPACE EXPLORATION APPLAUDS VICE PRESIDENT PENCE VISIT AND REMARKS AT THE NASA KENNEDY SPACE CENTER

WASHINGTON, D.C. — The Coalition for Deep Space Exploration (Coalition) joins with its industry partners in applauding Vice President Pence for his visit to the NASA Kennedy Space Center (KSC) just days after the center celebrated its 55th birthday.  Attendees at the Vice President’s visit included Senators Bill Nelson and Marco Rubio, Representatives Bill Posey and Ron de Santis, NASA Acting Administrator Robert Lightfoot, Kennedy Space Center Director Robert Cabana and Deputy Director Janet Petro, Apollo astronaut Dr. Buzz Aldrin, and several Florida officials, as well as executives from Coalition Board of Directors member companies: Leanne Caret, President of Boeing Defense and Space; Terry Hagen, President, Aerospace and Technology, Jacobs Engineering; Marillyn Hewson, CEO of Lockheed Martin and Lisa B. Callahan, Vice President and General Manager of Civil Space, Lockheed Martin Corporation's Space Systems Company; Rick Serfozo, KSC Site Director, Orbital ATK, and Julie Van Kleeck, Vice President of Advanced Space and Launch Programs and Strategy at Aerojet Rocketdyne.

Speaking in the Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB) against a backdrop that included the Orion crew vehicle flown during the EFT-1 mission and where the Orion will be stacked atop the Space Launch System prior to their journey into deep space, the Vice President celebrated the role that NASA has played in American leadership at home, abroad and in space, pledging “a new era in space exploration in the United States of America” and calling for a program to “return to the Moon and put American boots on the face of Mars.”  He also recalled the signing just last Friday of the President’s Executive Order re-establishing the National Space Council and pledged to host the first meeting of the NSC “before the summer is out”.

“Both the Vice President and NASA’s Acting Administrator Robert Lightfoot acknowledged the need to work together across all sectors of government, business, and academia to promote America’s programs in space,” said Dr. Mary Lynne Dittmar, President and CEO of the Coalition.  “The Coalition’s 70 members are working hard to achieve this - from the International Space Station to the outermost planets of the solar system - supporting human exploration, commerce, and science missions.  We welcome the commitment of this Administration to maintain a presence in LEO, return to the Moon and go to Mars and beyond.”

Offline Endeavour_01

• Physics Professor in SC, USA
  • Liked: 399
  • Likes Given: 405
"We welcome the commitment of this Administration to maintain a presence in LEO"

That was the only thing mentioned in the speech that I hadn't heard before in terms of space policy. The idea that the Administration supports the development of a successor to the ISS and therefore maintaining humans in LEO is quite encouraging. (as long as it doesn't detract from sending humans BLEO again).
I cheer for both NASA and commercial space. For SLS, Orion, Falcon 9, Falcon Heavy, Dragon, Starliner, Cygnus and all the rest!
I was blessed to see the launch of Space Shuttle Endeavour on STS-99. The launch was beyond amazing. My 8-year old mind was blown. I remember the noise and seeing the exhaust pour out of the shuttle as it lifted off. I remember staring and watching it soar while it was visible in the clear blue sky. It was one of the greatest moments of my life and I will never forget it.

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 1158
  • Likes Given: 771
These two parts of the speech were interesting:

Quote from: Vice President Pence
And from this “Bridge to Space [KSC],” our nation will return to the Moon, and we will put American boots on the face of Mars.  (Applause.)

We will maintain a constant presence in low-Earth orbit, and we will develop policies that will carry human space exploration across our solar system and ultimately into the vast expanse of space.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/07/06/remarks-vice-president-kennedy-space-center
« Last Edit: 07/06/2017 11:16 PM by yg1968 »

Offline yg1968

« Last Edit: 07/06/2017 11:29 PM by yg1968 »

Offline topo334

• California
  • Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 32
There was a lot of repetition in this speech. Numerous repeats of phrases like, "With the leadership of Pres. Trump we will start a new era in spaceflight" and rehashing parts of his speech from last month at JSC. Nothing new was really discussed (unless you count the non-space discussion at the start of the speech).

I just went through the written transcript and counted 40 mentions of the word "President."

Whoopee! A big helping of platitudes in a very thin broth.

Online Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 2169
  • Likes Given: 2675
We will maintain a constant presence in low-Earth orbit, and we will develop policies that will carry human space exploration across our solar system and ultimately into the vast expanse of space.

Well the ISS has been planned to last through at least 2024 anyways (i.e. the end of a 2nd Trump term), so from a Trump Administration standpoint saying they will keep a constant presence in LEO is not a change in policy, just a continuation of the Obama policy.

As for "...policies that will carry human space exploration across our solar system..." that could be an allusion to their focus on the private sector for space. That might an indication of what Pence plans to focus on with the NSC.
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Offline Chris Bergin

By the way, credit to no one actually going after me, here or on Twitter, for being a bit "cheeky" with some of the speech (although I think you all know I like to add a bit of personality to posts/tweets)....but if it helps anyone who thinks I was being a bit "yawn, politics" - trust me, you've got a LONG way to go before you beat the UK for crap politics. A LONG way. Most of your lawmakers are like a frakking dream team compared to ours.

Offline Chris Bergin

KSC presser:

Vice President Mike Pence thanked employees at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida for their commitment to America’s continued leadership in the space frontier during a visit to America’s multi-user spaceport on Thursday.

“Let us do what our nation has always done since its very founding and beyond: We've pushed the boundaries on frontiers, not just of territory, but of knowledge. We've blazed new trails, and we’ve astonished the world as we’ve boldly grasped our future without fear,” the Vice President told employees, government dignitaries and space industry leaders in remarks at the facility’s iconic Vehicle Assembly Building, where the new Space Launch System (SLS) rocket and Orion spacecraft will be prepared ahead of launches to the moon, and eventually to Mars and beyond. “From this ‘Bridge to Space,’ our nation will return to the moon, and we will put American boots on the face of Mars.”

Acting NASA Administrator Robert Lightfoot thanked Vice President Pence and the administration for their strong support, and pointed out the evidence of government and industry cooperation on display at Kennedy.

“Here, of all places, we can see we’re not looking at an ‘and/or proposition’,” Lightfoot said. “We need government and commercial entities. We need large companies and small companies. We need international partners and our domestic suppliers. And we need academia to bring that innovation and excitement that they bring to the next workforce that we’re going to use to actually keep going further into space than we ever have before.”

Vice President Pence also got a first-hand look at the public-private partnerships at Kennedy during a tour that showcased both NASA and commercial work that will soon lead to U.S.-based astronaut launches and eventual missions into deep space. The Vice President started his visit with a concrete example of public-private development, as Air Force Two touched down on the Shuttle Landing Facility, the former space shuttle landing strip now leased and operated by Space Florida. After his remarks in the Vehicle Assembly Building, the Vice President shook hands with employees before departing on a tour, accompanied by Lightfoot, Kennedy Space Center Director Robert Cabana, and NASA astronauts Pat Forrester and Reid Wiseman.

The Vice President visited the center’s Neil Armstrong Operations and Checkout Building, where the Orion spacecraft is being prepped for its first integrated flight with SLS in 2019. Orion has elements made in America by workers at more than 1,500 companies in 48 states, and some of that work, including components of Orion’s protective heat shield, were on display during the tour.

A driving tour showcased the mobile launch platform being readied for SLS flights as well as two commercial space facilities: Launch Complex 39A, the historic Apollo and shuttle pad now leased by SpaceX and used for commercial launches, and Boeing’s facility, where engineers are prepping the company’s Starliner capsule for crew flights to the space station in the same facility once used to do the same thing for space shuttles.

“We are in a great position here at Kennedy, we made our vision a reality; it couldn’t have been done without the passion and energy of our workforce,” said Kennedy Space Center Director Cabana. “Kennedy is fully established as a multi-user spaceport supporting both government and commercial partners in the space industry. As America’s premier multi-user spaceport, Kennedy continues to make history as it evolves, launching to low-Earth orbit and beyond.”

The Vice President also discussed President Trump’s executive order signed on June 30, re-establishing the National Space Council to coordinate all aspects of the nation’s space power. The Vice President said the Council will bring a renewed sense of purpose to America’s space policy by strengthening our economy and unlocking new opportunities, inspiring our children, enhancing our common defense and advancing the security of the American people.

For more information about NASA’s missions and activities, including video and images of Vice President Pence’s tour of the Kennedy Space Center, visit:

https://www.nasa.gov

-end-

Offline Flying Beaver

« Last Edit: 07/07/2017 02:15 AM by Flying Beaver »
Saw OG-2 Booster Land in person 21/12/2015.

Offline envy887

• Liked: 1243
  • Likes Given: 776
This is making the rounds on Reddit  8)

https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/6lp69p/critical_space_flight_hardware_do_not_touch/

For the improper use of quotation marks for emphasis on the sign, no doubt.

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 2840
  • Likes Given: 948

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 2840
  • Likes Given: 948
This is making the rounds on Reddit  8)

https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/6lp69p/critical_space_flight_hardware_do_not_touch/

Lots of official NASA photos of VP visit at https://www.flickr.com/photos/nasahqphoto/, but strangely not that one ... personally I think NASA is rather embarrassed at the use of quotes around the DO NOT TOUCH.
« Last Edit: 07/07/2017 09:03 AM by FutureSpaceTourist »

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 1314
  • Likes Given: 168
Sorry Veep, America already leads the world in space by a large margin

Trump administration has a golden opportunity to extend US leadership.

The subtext here is that America has fallen far behind in space—and that it needs strong leadership to get back on its feet. While there are definitely significant problems with US space policy—starting with the lack of a clear direction for human spaceflight and the funding to support those goals—no other nation can come close to the United States in space. Moreover, because of the long lead times baked into aerospace development, almost every "accomplishment" that demonstrates American leadership in space during the next 3.5 years will have started long before President Trump took office.

Despite all of its "America will lead in space once again" talk, the Trump administration has the potential to do some good with its revitalized National Space Council. When he wasn't saying America was behind in space, Pence on Thursday noted many of the accomplishments of the US commercial space industry.

If the new administration standardizes and simplifies regulations for these companies, allows NASA and the US military to make prudent investments, sets achievable goals for human spaceflight, embraces international partners rather than excludes them with an "America first" attitude, and continues to support planetary exploration without gutting Earth science, America's already considerable lead in space exploration can become insurmountable.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/07/actually-heres-all-the-ways-that-america-already-leads-in-space/
« Last Edit: 07/07/2017 03:32 PM by Star One »

Offline yg1968

The U.S. isn't leading in human space exploration until it can send its astronauts into space on its own.
« Last Edit: 07/07/2017 03:34 PM by yg1968 »

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 9562
  • Likes Given: 299
The U.S. isn't leading until it can send its astronauts into space on its own.

The ability to put a man into space has nothing to do with leading in space. 
The Arstechnica article backs that up and it doesn't cover the half the areas. 

edited. You changed your post

The article doesn't specify HSF.
« Last Edit: 07/07/2017 03:38 PM by Jim »

Offline RonM

• Atlanta, Georgia USA
  • Liked: 995
  • Likes Given: 776

Yes. As far as HSF is concerned, the US is developing three different crewed capsules, two of which will be operational within two years. Looks like leadership to me.

Offline yg1968

The Arstechnica article backs that up and it doesn't cover the half the areas. 

edited. You changed your post

The article doesn't specify HSF.

Pence mentioned in his speech that he wanted NASA to focus on human space exploration. His entire speech was about HSF.
« Last Edit: 07/07/2017 05:02 PM by yg1968 »

Offline yg1968

Yes. As far as HSF is concerned, the US is developing three different crewed capsules, two of which will be operational within two years. Looks like leadership to me.

You can't be in the lead in a race if you are still in the pit area. But things are looking up, I agree.
« Last Edit: 07/07/2017 05:03 PM by yg1968 »

Tags: