Author Topic: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 5  (Read 143622 times)

Offline fthomassy

• Austin, Texas
  • Liked: 80
  • Likes Given: 989
Re: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 5
« Reply #440 on: 09/12/2017 11:19 PM »
Ditch digging day at the dish.
 In much more relevant news, my olive tree has a new security system.
 There's some sort of major work going on at the end of Kingston Rd near the ship channel. Maybe for LNG facilities or moving 40 foot wide cylindrical objects in or out. They paved the road with 8 x 12 timbers and there are hundreds of dump trucks using it. I'll have to take a ride up 48 and see what's visible from there.
For the record ... it was the Giant Blue Land Crab I liked  ;D
« Last Edit: 09/12/2017 11:23 PM by fthomassy »
gyatm . . . Fern

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
  • Liked: 3055
  • Likes Given: 211
« Reply #441 on: 09/13/2017 12:12 AM »
There's some sort of major work going on at the end of Kingston Rd near the ship channel. Maybe for LNG facilities or moving 40 foot wide cylindrical objects in or out. They paved the road with 8 x 12 timbers and there are hundreds of dump trucks using it. I'll have to take a ride up 48 and see what's visible from there.

Didn't they say the LNG plant would be on the North side of the shipping channel?
To tell the truth, I didn't notice if the trucks were carrying dirt to or from the site. I guess they could be hauling away dredge or widening the channel there. Or building a dock on that side. It'll give me an excuse to go to SPI tomorrow.
 They've been laying a +/- 36 inch pipeline down the highway between Corpus Christi and Brownsville. It seems kind of excessive for LNG or anything else I can think of.
« Last Edit: 09/13/2017 12:19 AM by Nomadd »

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 6488
  • Likes Given: 4704
« Reply #442 on: 09/13/2017 01:16 AM »
Miniature Hyperloop.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline SPITexas

• Liked: 33
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #443 on: 09/13/2017 02:16 AM »

Hmmm 2019? Ehhh
https://www.teslarati.com/spacexs-plan-launch-internet-satellites-face-possible-setback-recent-fcc-decision/

SpaceX recruiters revealed earlier this week that SpaceX also intends to have their Boca Chica, Texas launch pad, which is currently under construction, capable of launching ITS-sized vehicles once it comes online in late 2018 or 2019.

« Last Edit: 09/13/2017 02:19 AM by SPITexas »

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
« Reply #444 on: 09/13/2017 02:44 AM »
Miniature Hyperloop.
You know, if they angled that Hyperloop up a mountain........

Online vaporcobra

Hmmm 2019? Ehhh
https://www.teslarati.com/spacexs-plan-launch-internet-satellites-face-possible-setback-recent-fcc-decision/

SpaceX recruiters revealed earlier this week that SpaceX also intends to have their Boca Chica, Texas launch pad, which is currently under construction, capable of launching ITS-sized vehicles once it comes online in late 2018 or 2019.

Bad wording, my apologies. My intent was to suggest that SpaceX wants to be able to launch ITS from the pad after it is activated. Definitely didn't mean to suggest that ITS would be launching from Boca Chica in 2018 or 2019 :) Updated the phrasing a bit and removed 2018, as Shotwell's comment today negates that possibility.

Off topic: editing articles beyond spelling changes delists it from Google's search results, which is a large source of views for SpaceX stuff. It's a struggle...

Offline SPITexas

« Reply #446 on: 09/13/2017 03:58 AM »

Hmmm 2019? Ehhh

Bad wording, my apologies. My intent was to suggest that SpaceX wants to be able to launch ITS from the pad after it is activated. Definitely didn't mean to suggest that ITS would be launching from Boca Chica in 2018 or 2019 :) Updated the phrasing a bit and removed 2018, as Shotwell's comment today negates that possibility.

Off topic: editing articles beyond spelling changes delists it from Google's search results, which is a large source of views for SpaceX stuff. It's a struggle...

Yea but it's just one tweet we still don't know if 2018 is out of the picture yet. When more info or sources comes up we will see and find out. If that's really what there gonna do or not the tweet seems odd like it was said a few years back.

Online vaporcobra

Hmmm 2019? Ehhh

Yea but it's just one tweet we still don't know if 2018 is out of the picture yet. When more info or sources comes up we will see and find out. If that's really what there gonna do or not the tweet seems odd like it was said a few years back.

If Gwynne Shotwell says Boca Chica "could be available in about two years", it's a fairly safe bet that Boca Chica pad construction will be completed NET late 2019 ;) Two pads at the Cape and one at VAFB are probably enough for SpaceX to reach a manufacturing bottleneck, unless a ton of customers choose to fly on recovered boosters.

With that context, it makes a lot of sense that Boca Chica is not a priority for the Falcon family. I'll be interested to see what Musk has to say about all this, if anything, at the IAC!

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 4912
  • Likes Given: 3332
« Reply #448 on: 09/13/2017 04:15 AM »
Miniature Hyperloop.
You know, if they angled that Hyperloop up a mountain........
Stop trying to get a rise out of the mods... :D
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 2647
  • Likes Given: 784
« Reply #449 on: 09/13/2017 06:21 AM »
Hmm

Peter B. de Selding‏ @pbdes 3m3 minutes ago

Gwynne Shotwell of @SpaceX: Our Texas site still doing landscaping, could be avail in ~ 2 yrs; no rush given our capacity at two Fla pads.

https://twitter.com/pbdes/status/907629383476801537
So, I was right. https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=43026.msg1719103#msg1719103

Offline SPITexas

« Reply #450 on: 09/13/2017 12:53 PM »
Hmm

Peter B. de Selding‏ @pbdes 3m3 minutes ago

Gwynne Shotwell of @SpaceX: Our Texas site still doing landscaping, could be avail in ~ 2 yrs; no rush given our capacity at two Fla pads.

https://twitter.com/pbdes/status/907629383476801537
So, I was right. https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=43026.msg1719103#msg1719103

I guess so 2 yrs aims to 2019 but, the question is what structure are the LC-40 and LC-39A team gonna work on first at Boca Chica the HIF or Control center.  Both maybe.
« Last Edit: 09/13/2017 12:58 PM by SPITexas »

Online spacenut

• East Alabama
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 184
« Reply #451 on: 09/13/2017 01:16 PM »
A 36" pipeline is not excessive if it is standard natural gas not liquified.  They will probably liquify at the launch site.  Liquid natural gas is not ran in underground pipelines for very long distance.  There are 36" pipelines all over the country usually operating at 500-1000 psi pressure transporting across country.  Same will be done at the cape.  A large gas pipeline will bring in the gas from the nearest large pipeline.  Then they will liquify at the launch site or nearby the launch site.
« Last Edit: 09/13/2017 01:18 PM by spacenut »

Offline billh

• Houston
  • Liked: 129
  • Likes Given: 100
« Reply #452 on: 09/13/2017 01:23 PM »
There was some guesswork involved, but comparing SpaceX noise numbers for FH and adjusting for power and distance, I came up with BFR noise levels at 5 miles as about 2db less that FAA limits for airliner takeoff without hearing protection, which would make it too high along the 2 1/2 mile distant border.

The noise level at 5 miles is really the limiting factor because that's how far South Padre Island is, and there's no option there to buy up all the property or evacuate for each launch.

Offline Dave G

• Liked: 604
  • Likes Given: 791
« Reply #453 on: 09/13/2017 01:37 PM »
A 36" pipeline is not excessive if it is standard natural gas not liquified.  They will probably liquify at the launch site.

To be clear, I've seen no plans to run a 36" natural gas pipeline to the launch site.

The 36" pipeline Nomadd mentioned is for the new LNG plant that will be ~5.4 miles from the launch site along the North side of the Brownsville shipping channel.

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
« Reply #454 on: 09/15/2017 12:17 AM »
 I need to get my eyes calibrated. I saw some of those pipeline sections up close today, and they're 48". The pipeline itself will be a huge buffer/storage tank, so they can draw more gas out than they put in for short periods. If the LPG facility can get the nitrogen and higher anes down to SpaceX spec they won't have to worry about a fuel source for Raptor based vehicles.
 I'm guessing that the work down the road means they're putting at least loading docks and maybe storage on the south side of the channel. That would keep bad loading events from destroying the facility and all the vehicles on the highway.
 (Sent complete with typos from Mad Dog's pub in San Antonio)
« Last Edit: 09/15/2017 02:56 AM by Nomadd »

Offline SPITexas

« Reply #455 on: 09/15/2017 12:24 AM »
Still bothering me, I am still disagreeing with the landscaping tweet. I'm still with 2018 or 2019.
« Last Edit: 09/15/2017 01:15 AM by SPITexas »

Offline su27k

• Liked: 320
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #456 on: 09/15/2017 03:54 AM »
There's some chatter on SpaceX facebook group, it seems security may be a major concern for this site, after they did the sharpshooter test during Amos-6 investigation.

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
« Reply #457 on: 09/15/2017 04:02 AM »
There's some chatter on SpaceX facebook group, it seems security may be a major concern for this site, after they did the sharpshooter test during Amos-6 investigation.
You mean nobody realized bullets could do damage before the investigation?

Offline Req

• Liked: 277
  • Likes Given: 2499
« Reply #458 on: 09/15/2017 04:07 AM »
You mean nobody realized bullets could do damage before the investigation?

I'm thinking it's a lot less likely to get(or stage and wait) within feasible range when the pad is in the middle of CCAFS/KSC/VAFB and the 45th space wing(et al) has choppers patrolling the coastline and area in general.
« Last Edit: 09/15/2017 04:09 AM by Req »

Offline SPITexas

« Reply #459 on: 09/15/2017 04:27 AM »

You talking about the SpaceX Boca Chica Facebook group right?   They sometimes follow this thread or discussion also. Since 2016.
« Last Edit: 09/15/2017 04:29 AM by SPITexas »

Tags: