Author Topic: Orion Spacecraft Q & A  (Read 3399 times)

Offline Dante80

• Athens : Greece
  • Liked: 776
  • Likes Given: 494
Re: Orion Spacecraft Q & A
« Reply #20 on: 05/31/2017 07:42 PM »
Is there anything wrong with Avcoat when used in tiles? Why wound NASA want to change to PICA anyway?

Cost. Primarily because it is very labor intensive to hand-inject every cell in the honeycomb.

Wouldn't changing to PICA after EFT-1 showed cracks introduce a lot more development cost (and schedule overrun)? Recurring cost differences are almost completely irrelevant for a flagship spacecraft like Orion (and the number of missions that is projected to have).

Also, what would changing the material do to the weight of the system (shield + structure)? (any guesses, I have no idea)
« Last Edit: 05/31/2017 07:43 PM by Dante80 »

Offline Raj2014

• United Kingdom
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #21 on: 06/06/2017 11:24 PM »
Is there anything wrong with Avcoat when used in tiles? Why wound NASA want to change to PICA anyway?

Cost. Primarily because it is very labor intensive to hand-inject every cell in the honeycomb.

Wouldn't changing to PICA after EFT-1 showed cracks introduce a lot more development cost (and schedule overrun)? Recurring cost differences are almost completely irrelevant for a flagship spacecraft like Orion (and the number of missions that is projected to have).

Also, what would changing the material do to the weight of the system (shield + structure)? (any guesses, I have no idea)

It is best to have the heat shield strong but not adding mass that will negatively effect the Orion spacecraft.
« Last Edit: 08/13/2017 08:17 PM by Raj2014 »

Offline Raj2014

• United Kingdom
« Reply #22 on: 08/13/2017 08:23 PM »
What is the height of the crew module of the Orion Spacecraft? I have looked at some websites but can not get an accurate measurement. Sources say it is 3.3 metres tall. Is the Orion C.M taller than the Apollo C.M?

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 9398
  • Likes Given: 297
« Reply #23 on: 08/13/2017 10:10 PM »
What is the height of the crew module of the Orion Spacecraft? I have looked at some websites but can not get an accurate measurement. Sources say it is 3.3 metres tall. Is the Orion C.M taller than the Apollo C.M?

Yes, because it is has the same form factor as Apollo CM and it is wider.

Offline Raj2014

• United Kingdom
« Reply #24 on: 08/17/2017 09:07 PM »
How tall is the Apollo C.M? On the research I have done, some of the websites shows 3.23 metres tall. Is this correct?

Offline whitelancer64

« Reply #25 on: 08/17/2017 09:33 PM »
How tall is the Apollo C.M? On the research I have done, some of the websites shows 3.23 metres tall. Is this correct?

The Apollo CM, from the base of its heat shield to the tip of its docking probe, was 10 ft. 7 in, or 3.23 meters in height.

The Orion CM, from the base of its heat shield to the top of its forward bay cover, is 10ft. 10 in, or 3.3 meters in height. This height does NOT include its docking system.
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Tags: