Author Topic: Shortest duration Mars mission  (Read 2965 times)

Offline vancecam

• San Diego
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Shortest duration Mars mission
« on: 04/13/2017 03:22 am »
I'm certain that something like this has been proposed before, and probably shot down, but I'm unable to find anything similar in searches. I'm sure someone here will direct me.
www.zoomcrane.com/keats.html

Offline Dalhousie

• Liked: 780
  • Likes Given: 1131
Re: Shortest duration Mars mission
« Reply #1 on: 04/13/2017 03:59 am »
Does not seem feasible with the technology described.  No supporting references or documentation.

Shortest more or less credible duration? Sprint missions, about a year, e.g. https://www.wired.com/2012/05/piloted-splitsprint-mission-to-mars-1987/ or http://astronautix.com/m/marsexpedition88.html

Shortest surface stay? Five days http://astronautix.com/b/bygeminitomars.html . Not really credible from a Mars operations point of view

« Last Edit: 09/13/2017 12:32 am by Dalhousie »
Apologies in advance for any lack of civility - it's unintended

Offline Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 10199
  • Likes Given: 11927
« Reply #2 on: 04/13/2017 04:00 am »
First I've heard of it, but then again I'm not a rocket scientist...  ;)

Interesting though.  However it sounds like it would require a lot of energy for the accelerating and deceleration phases, even with gravity assist, and energy means fuel.  Not to say it can't be done, but it might not be the small vehicles imagined in the proposal.

Also, this is very similar to the Mars cycler, just smaller and with two vehicles to allow a brief stay and short overall mission time.
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Offline Dalhousie

• Liked: 780
  • Likes Given: 1131
« Reply #3 on: 04/13/2017 04:13 am »
First I've heard of it, but then again I'm not a rocket scientist...  ;)

Interesting though.  However it sounds like it would require a lot of energy for the accelerating and deceleration phases, even with gravity assist, and energy means fuel.  Not to say it can't be done, but it might not be the small vehicles imagined in the proposal.

Also, this is very similar to the Mars cycler, just smaller and with two vehicles to allow a brief stay and short overall mission time.

Transfer times far to short for a cycler AFAIK
Apologies in advance for any lack of civility - it's unintended

Offline lcasv

« Reply #4 on: 06/08/2017 11:28 pm »
Trip to Mars can take  longer as long you have artificial gravity, so health problem can be mitigated.
Please check this arrangement. Health come first.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography