Author Topic: Elon Musk keynote address at ISSR&D Conference - July 19, 2017  (Read 147910 times)

Offline whitelancer64

"I think we're quite close to being able to recover the fairing"

"I think we've got a decent shot at recovering the fairing by the end of the year"

"I think we can even bring the second stage back"
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Online Chris Bergin

Getting crew to ISS is the primary focus, as opposed to Second Stage recovery. Thanks NASA again. His old password: "I_love_NASA"
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online Chris Bergin

Hopes NASA's top line budget is increased (crowd applause).
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online Chris Bergin

Appreciated how fair the CRS team have been while Falcon 9 gained legs and upgrades.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
Cargo Dragon 2 doesn't have launch abort system, so definitely no powered landing.

Online Chris Bergin

Elon on innovation goals: LEO and beyond - near complete reusability. Absolutely fundamental. Repeats previous analogies.

Online Chris Bergin

Texas launch site will be good for contingency against - for instance - a hurricane impacting the Cape.

Online Chris Bergin

Elon really likes the ISS, thinks some people don't even know about it. Wants to see education of the public, because it's "amazing and big"

Online Chris Bergin

"If you want to get the public really fired up, you really need a base on the MOON" (Then to Mars).

Online Chris Bergin

English bloke asks about FH and moon mission.

Elon: A lot could go wrong with 27 engines (Falcon Heavy). "It's guaranteed to be exciting." "Really difficult to test on the ground.

Online Chris Bergin

"A real good chance that vehicle won't make it to orbit. I would consider it a win (if it doesn't blow up on the pad)"

Online Chris Bergin

"Whoever is on the first FH flight - brave. Really brave" - Elon.

Online Chris Bergin

Now talking about education.

Online Chris Bergin

Question for Elon on 100 years in the future - war on Mars? Elon "There's a lot of land on Mars, not a lot of people." (So doubtful).

Online Chris Bergin

On international cooperation for Mars "The Olympics would be pretty boring if everyone crossed the finishing line holding hands".

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 7877
  • Likes Given: 853
Complete text of Elon's comments on Falcon Heavy:

First of all I should say that Falcon Heavy requires the simultaneous ignition of 27 orbital class engines. There's a lot that could go wrong there. And I encourage people to come down to the Cape and see the first Falcon Heavy mission. It's guaranteed to be exciting.  But it's one of those things that's really difficult to test on the ground. We can fire the engines on the ground and try to simulate the dynamics of having 27 orbital booster engines and the airflow as it goes transonic. It's going to see heavy transonic buffeting. It's behavior at Max Q, there's a lot of risks associated with Falcon Heavy.  Real good chance that that first vehicle doesn't make it to orbit. So I want to make sure to set expectations accordingly. I hope it makes it far enough away from the pad that it's not going to cause damage. I would consider that a win, honestly. And yeah. Major pucker factor is the only way to describe it. I think Falcon Heavy is going to be a great vehicle. There's just a lot that's impossible to test on the ground. And we'll do our best. And it ended up being way harder to do Falcon Heavy than we thought. Because at first it sounds really easy to just stick to first stages on as strap-on side boosters. But then everything changes. The loads change, the air dynamics totally change. You triple the vibration and acoustics. So you break the qualification levels and so much of the hardware. The amount of load you’re putting through that center core is crazy because you have two super powerful boosters also shoving that center core. So we had to redesign the whole center-core airframe on the Falcon 9 because it’s going to take so much load. And then you’ve got the separation systems... and, yeah, it just ended up being way way more difficult than we originally thought. We were pretty naive about that. But the next thing is that we're going to fully optimize it.  It has about 2.5 times the payload capacity of the Falcon 9. We’re well over 100,000 lb to LEO payload capability. And then it has enough thrust performance to put us in a loop with Dragon 2 around the moon. And Dragon itself, the heat shield is designed with a huge amount of margin. So it has enough margin to handle a lunar reentry. But no question, whoever is on the first flight, brave.

Online Chris Bergin

BFR....IAC will be the next update. "It's evolved quite a bit since". "Will ask for questions in advance this time"

Online Chris Bergin

Elon confirms Subscale BFR. Thinks he can use it on LEO payloads and help it pay the costs for Mars.

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 7877
  • Likes Given: 853
Mars architecture:

"Yes, I see ISC in Adelaide as a good time to do the updated version of the Mars architecture. It's evolved quite a bit since the last talk.  The key thing to figure out is how do you pay for all of that to go to Mars. It's super expensive. And I kind of think that if we downsize to Mars vehicle, make it capable of doing Earth orbit activity as well as Mars activity, then maybe we could pay for it using money for Earth orbit activities. That's one of the key elements of the new architecture. It's similar to what was at ISC; it's a little bit smaller but still big. But I think this one has a shot at being real on the economic front."

Offline symbios

• Elon Musk fan
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 152
  • Likes Given: 739
Really dislike people monologuing for an hour before asking a question!!
I'm a fan, not a fanatic...

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography