Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 : PAZ : SLC-4E Vandenberg : Jan. 30, 2018  (Read 12450 times)

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 1215
  • Likes Given: 929
It's worth noting that the Microsat 1a/1b application listed the same inclination as Iridium, and the Microsat 2a/2b application did not.  The 2a/2b application was filed a couple of months before the Paz contract was publicly announced, but they were probably already working on it at the time (and may well have had it already negotiated).  There are also other potential SSO opportunities coming up such as SSO-A.  The only SSO flights that would really fit the timing are PAZ, SSO-A (which has slipped a little), and SAOCOM-1A (which has also slipped a bit, and the old date didn't really line up that well).

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
This is also being discussed in the SpaceX satellite thread starting at
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=41634.msg1721067#msg1721067
which may be a better place for it.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
[ La Opinión de Murcia] The first Spanish high-resolution satellite to be launched at the end of December
[Google translation] The Paz satellite, which is the first Spanish high-resolution radar sensor, will launch into space in the last week of this year. This was confirmed yesterday by HisdeSAT, the company that owns and manages the satellite - 30% owned by the Ministry of Defense - in the technical demonstration presented at the XVII Congress of the Spanish Association of Remote Sensing (AET2017), held in Murcia from yesterday until tomorrow.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 2572
  • Likes Given: 858
Owner #hisdesat Spain: @SpaceX sets Jan 30 VAFB launch of 1400-kg @AirbusDefence-built Paz high-res SAR Earth obs sat to 514-km polar orbit.

https://twitter.com/pbdes/status/917451649177739264

Online rockets4life97

• Liked: 166
  • Likes Given: 103
Owner #hisdesat Spain: @SpaceX sets Jan 30 VAFB launch of 1400-kg @AirbusDefence-built Paz high-res SAR Earth obs sat to 514-km polar orbit.

Jan 30 was when Iridium 5 was expected to launch. Can the Iridium launches be closer than 2 months apart? Any word on the co-passenger?

Edit: Could PAZ fit on the adapter with with 5 Iridium sats and Grace FO 1 and 2? That would explain this change.
« Last Edit: 10/09/2017 07:16 PM by rockets4life97 »

Online Galactic Penguin SST

Jan 30 was when Iridium 5 was expected to launch. Can the Iridium launches be closer than 2 months apart? Any word on the co-passenger?

Edit: Could PAZ fit on the adapter with with 5 Iridium sats and Grace FO 1 and 2? That would explain this change.

The target orbits are too far apart for that to happen.  ???
Chinese spaceflight is a cosmic riddle wrapped in a galactic mystery inside an orbital enigma... - (not) Winston Churchill

Online envy887

• Liked: 1144
  • Likes Given: 724

The target orbits are too far apart for that to happen.  ???

??? indeed. PAZ and GRACE-FO are both going to 500 km SSO. The Iridium payload is only ~4800 kg, the remaining performance is more than enough for the F9 US to do a ~12 degree inclination change and lower the orbit by 125 km, even while carrying both PAZ and GRACE-FO.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 115
  • Likes Given: 13
I think that this stack doesn't work.
If I'm not mistaken, both the Iridium Next and Grace FO satellites are roughly the same shape and size. Aka: 3m high, 2m wide and ~1m deep. They are side mounted to a carrying structure. Grace was planned to use a structure like the one used for dual galileo sat (soyuz) launches.
PAZ is a larger satellite. It's a hexegonal satellite 5m long and 2.4m in (outer) diameter. (6x1.2m sides)
(This is to large for the Vega fairing) It wants a axial (in line/ standard) deployment.
I think it will be very difficult to mount the Grace-FO on a structure around PAZ. The F9 Fairing is to short to stack all sats on top of each other. (3 + 3 + 5 = 11m D2.4m | 3 + 5 =8m D5m)

Online envy887

• Liked: 1144
  • Likes Given: 724
I think that this stack doesn't work.
If I'm not mistaken, both the Iridium Next and Grace FO satellites are roughly the same shape and size. Aka: 3m high, 2m wide and ~1m deep. They are side mounted to a carrying structure. Grace was planned to use a structure like the one used for dual galileo sat (soyuz) launches.
PAZ is a larger satellite. It's a hexegonal satellite 5m long and 2.4m in (outer) diameter. (6x1.2m sides)
(This is to large for the Vega fairing) It wants a axial (in line/ standard) deployment.
I think it will be very difficult to mount the Grace-FO on a structure around PAZ. The F9 Fairing is to short to stack all sats on top of each other. (3 + 3 + 5 = 11m D2.4m | 3 + 5 =8m D5m)

It might be possible. Here's a roughly to-scale sketch of the PAZ envelope mounted atop the stacked GRACE-FO and Iridium dispenser envelopes:

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 115
  • Likes Given: 13
Re: SpaceX Falcon 9 : PAZ : SLC-4E Vandenberg : Jan. 30, 2018
« Reply #49 on: 10/14/2017 01:26 PM »
envy887; I think your sketch is a bit deceiving. The stack of 5x Iridium Next + 2x Grace-FO the same length as two 5x Iridium Next on top of each other. ~6m. In your sketch the lower block looks to be ~5m high (6.6m - ~1.5m).

I found out that the Grace-FO satellites will be mounted to a cilindrical structure instead of the Galileo dual structure.
source Nasa JPL
I think that if PAZ is placed on top of this structure, the sides of PAZ and the two Grace-FO will line up. (Same width)
« Last Edit: 10/14/2017 01:29 PM by Rik ISS-fan »

Tags: