Author Topic: Elon The Boring Company  (Read 150445 times)

Online docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 1452
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Elon The Boring Company
« Reply #600 on: 10/05/2017 07:14 AM »
OTOH, Roadheaders mass about 12-100 tonnes and can excavate shaped to suit cavities, tunnels, chambers  etc..
DM

Offline sanman

• Liked: 489
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #601 on: 10/05/2017 07:38 AM »
OTOH, Roadheaders mass about 12-100 tonnes and can excavate shaped to suit cavities, tunnels, chambers  etc..

But surely their parts suffer enough wear and tear that they need to be replaced often enough. Would it be worth the trouble to use some more energetic technology, involving superheated gas, via lasers, microwaves, electric discharge, etc? Even if it's less energy-efficient, you've still got a lot of energy on the Moon via sunlight, to offset that.

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 1612
  • Likes Given: 1433
« Reply #602 on: 10/05/2017 07:42 AM »

I just recently watched a "documentation" on the impending return of Nibiru. The US government has prepared for the event by creating an underground facility. I don't know how they filmed that scene. It looked very real, not CGI. Vast open spaces and trucks driving around in them with very wide base rock pillars to keep it stable. Road headers would be involved in building something like this.

Unfortunately I don't remember the name. Otherwise I would do some screen shots. Very impressive. A facility to live in without claustrophobia.

Offline sanman

« Reply #603 on: 10/05/2017 08:16 AM »
This article compares the following technologies:

http://technology.infomine.com/reviews/tunneling/welcome.asp?view=full

There are five different methods of tunneling. These are:
-Pipe Jacking/Shield Machines
-Road Headers
-Hammer Tunneling Splitters
-TBMs
-Drill and Blast

(In the graph, UCS (horizontal axis) means Unconfined Compressive Strength)

Offline Tulse

• Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #604 on: 10/05/2017 01:31 PM »
Would it be worth the trouble to use some more energetic technology, involving superheated gas, via lasers, microwaves, electric discharge, etc? Even if it's less energy-efficient, you've still got a lot of energy on the Moon via sunlight, to offset that.
I would think that non-contact tunnelling/mining technologies would definitely be more suited to the Moon and Mars.  One is trading relatively high energy needs for vastly reduced mechanical complexity, and regularly shipping heavy expendable parts to those locations makes much less sense than occasionally shipping power sources (which can be used for other things than tunnelling).

Offline launchwatcher

• Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 237
« Reply #605 on: 10/05/2017 02:42 PM »
I don't know how they filmed that scene. It looked very real, not CGI. Vast open spaces and trucks driving around in them with very wide base rock pillars to keep it stable. Road headers would be involved in building something like this.

Unfortunately I don't remember the name. Otherwise I would do some screen shots. Very impressive. A facility to live in without claustrophobia.
Probably took someone else's footage of a tour of http://springfieldunderground.com/ or some similar place...

Offline Oersted

• Liked: 352
  • Likes Given: 200
« Reply #606 on: 10/12/2017 07:45 PM »
From Gwynne Shotwell Q&A:

(This is not verbatim, but from notes by Reddit-user "Sticklefront": https://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comments/75ufq9/interesting_items_from_gwynne_shotwells_talk_at/)

"Will SpaceX work with other companies regarding infrastructure on the surface of Mars?

SpaceX is focused on the transportation part of the Mars problem, but people need somewhere to go once they arrive. I don't think it's an accident that Elon started the Boring Company, tunnels will be very important in the first steps of living on Mars, before we build domes and terraform. We want other companies to start thinking about it and working on it, but we'll do it if we have to. I think the BFR might be ready before these other components of actually living on Mars."

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 1612
  • Likes Given: 1433
« Reply #607 on: 10/13/2017 04:48 PM »
Tunnels being early, before surface habitats, that's remarkable. First step the BFS is the habitat. Second step already tunneling? Makes sense if they want to increase number of people very early.

Online speedevil

• Fife
  • Liked: 208
  • Likes Given: 188
« Reply #608 on: 10/13/2017 04:57 PM »
Tunnels being early, before surface habitats, that's remarkable. First step the BFS is the habitat. Second step already tunneling? Makes sense if they want to increase number of people very early.

There is some step between 'first' and 'second' there.

For example, surface habitats without domes qualify.

"terraform" can't reasonably be done in a century.

Earth bermed structures are quite low risk - tunneling isn't, at least initially.

Offline sanman

« Reply #609 on: 10/14/2017 02:06 PM »
I think it would be best to exploit natural caves and lava tubes, since you'd want a lot of protection between you and meteors, besides against radiation. Berms aren't necessarily going to give a lot of protection against meteors.

Hopefully The Boring Company's technology could be deployed on the Moon before trying it on Mars, since the Moon is lower-hanging fruit.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 6927
  • Likes Given: 4886
« Reply #610 on: 10/14/2017 02:13 PM »
Meteors aren't a large risk on Mars. Micrometeorites are not even able to reach the surface (except high altitude sites like Olympus Mons).
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline sanman

« Reply #611 on: 10/14/2017 02:59 PM »
I dunno - the imaging from MRO has occasionally picked up changes in the surface terrain attributed to meteor impacts.
« Last Edit: 10/14/2017 03:09 PM by sanman »

Offline philw1776

• Seacoast NH
  • Liked: 480
  • Likes Given: 245
« Reply #612 on: 10/14/2017 03:09 PM »
I dunno - the MRO has occasionally noticed changes in the surface terrain images attributed to meteor impacts.

More common micrometeorites are a danger on the moon, not on Mars.  Bigger rocks are less common and yes, more will reach Mars' surface than Earth's.  An acceptable risk.
“When it looks more like an alien dreadnought, that’s when you know you’ve won.”

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 3008
  • Likes Given: 996
« Reply #613 on: 10/19/2017 06:25 AM »
Second boring machine almost ready. Will be called Line-Storm, after the poem by Frost. "And be my love in the rain."

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/920844783542853633

Offline sanman

« Reply #614 on: 10/19/2017 07:28 AM »
Is this new boring machine an improvement over the previous one? If so, then in what ways?

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 4050
  • Likes Given: 830
« Reply #615 on: 10/19/2017 03:43 PM »
Is this new boring machine an improvement over the previous one? If so, then in what ways?
And where is it going to go?
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Online nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 222
  • Likes Given: 145
« Reply #616 on: 10/19/2017 03:56 PM »
It's

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Offline sanman

« Reply #617 on: 10/19/2017 08:16 PM »
And where is it going to go?

This article says that Boring Company is getting started on a Baltimore-DC Hyperloop tunnel (see pictures):

https://electrek.co/2017/10/19/elon-musk-boring-company-hyperloo-baltimore-dc/

I dunno - can all this stuff be done so quickly while still maintaining safety? The mechanisms for this rapid transit are yet to be fully tested to high confidence levels.

Online docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 1452
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #618 on: 10/19/2017 11:00 PM »
It could also be the project where cars park on electric "skates" or passenger pods, (both based on Tesla EV tech) which transport either to their destination.
« Last Edit: 10/19/2017 11:04 PM by docmordrid »
DM

Offline Ludus

• Liked: 322
  • Likes Given: 154
« Reply #619 on: 10/20/2017 12:46 AM »
It could also be the project where cars park on electric "skates" or passenger pods, (both based on Tesla EV tech) which transport either to their destination.

Musk has commented that the tunnels for the skates just by meeting standards to keep out water can also hold enough of a partial vacuum for Hyperloop, so they could even switch between projects at some point.

Tags: