Author Topic: Space Shuttle: Developing an Icon 1972-2013 by Dennis Jenkins  (Read 40036 times)

Offline bkellysky

• Selfie in Surveyor's camera mirror at NASM
  • Ardsley, New York, USA
    • Heads UP!
  • Liked: 79
  • Likes Given: 249
Re: DOD.  There is an interesting section on the building of vanderburg calif site. Photo of enterprise on a real ext tank and dummy SRBs on the slc6pad, construction and difficilities explained. Section on air force MOL. I won't get back to it until the weekend at the soonest.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
Re: DOD.  There is an interesting section on the building of vanderburg calif site. Photo of enterprise on a real ext tank and dummy SRBs on the slc6pad, construction and difficilities explained. Section on air force MOL. I won't get back to it until the weekend at the soonest.

Thanks for that feedback.

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
Just ordered it as it was the last one and on sale for $118.59 plus S&H... I never stood a chance... ;D
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline eric z

• Liked: 475
  • Likes Given: 2127
 Just got it! Thank the stars it was shrink-wrapped because it was left out in the cold drizzle! I should have been working out with weights-it's heavy. I'm gonna ask my wife for another copy, so I can put one in the time-capsule with me. ;)

Offline ZANL188

• Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 6
Specialty Press charged my card 9 Mar.  Shipped yesterday afternoon via UPS for delivery on 14 Mar.

I've waited 10 years... I can wait a few more days...

Online DaveJ576

• Norfolk, VA
    • Pigboats.com
  • Liked: 115
  • Likes Given: 640
I just received my set today! Dennis Jenkins just did everyone a favor as he made your library smaller. Once you have this set you can donate to the public library every other book you have on the space shuttle. This set is quite simply the most comprehensive publication on this subject I have ever seen. It is fantastic and makes everything else on the market looks like a five year old's coloring book!  ;)

My only nitpick is an echo of someone else's post, in that the type face is rather small and at times hard to read, especially the photo captions. I am going to invest in a nice magnifier and that should do the trick. Mr. Jenkins has crammed so much info into these volumes that I think he was left with little choice but to make things smaller. If not this would have easily been a five volume set.

I would caution that this is not for the casual reader. You have to be a real tech/spaceflight nut to fully appreciate this work. If you fall into that category, this set is pure nirvana.
"We have a pitch and a roll program and man this baby is really going!"

Offline Marsin2010

• Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 18
I have just been notified by Amazon that my advance order of Dennis Jenkins monumental
Space Shuttle: Developing an Icon 1972-2013 is shipping.  They have lowered the price from the pre-release $150 to approximately $120 so it is a little less painful but those who have his prior shuttle histories will agree that this 3 volume set will be worth every penny.

It has just arrived.  No one bother me for the next month or so.
« Last Edit: 03/13/2017 06:23 pm by Marsin2010 »

Offline mtakala24

Got an email from Amazon DE - the estimated shipping date is April 11th - May 12th. I guess they are really shipping them over the sea, and that takes time.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81623
  • Likes Given: 36931

Great to see Amazon US deliveries are arriving, but curious their website still says '5 to 6 weeks' (unless they have sold out all their initial allocation?!).

Amazon UK having said for weeks that my order would be shipped this Friday (17th), is now saying they need more time to give a good estimate and they'll email me when they know ... Still should at least be on their way over the pond by now.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220

Great to see Amazon US deliveries are arriving, but curious their website still says '5 to 6 weeks' (unless they have sold out all their initial allocation?!).

Amazon UK having said for weeks that my order would be shipped this Friday (17th), is now saying they need more time to give a good estimate and they'll email me when they know ... Still should at least be on their way over the pond by now.

Mine is still just saying delivery date pending.

Offline HighlandRay

• Scotland, UK
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 0
Same here, waiting for Amazon UK to give me a delivery date. Hopefully they will get enough copies to fulfill all of there orders.
To old to die young

Offline Oersted

• Liked: 4098
  • Likes Given: 2773
Great to hear that they have problems fulfilling the orders. Must mean that sales are good!

Offline HighlandRay

• Scotland, UK
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 0
Yes, but as long as they have enough for us all
To old to die young

Offline ZANL188

• Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 6
Mine arrived today! Looks awesome so far! Thanks Dennis, well worth the wait!

Offline clevelas

• Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 4
Got mine a couple of days ago.  Got to spend about 30 minutes reading last night.  Made it through the forward and introduction.  At this pace, it'll be at least a 10 year project to get through (that's not a bad thing).  I can't believe how packed with information it is.  If he'd used normal font and image sizes, the set would have shipped on a pallet!

I'm really impressed with the quality of the books.  And packaging was excellent.

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
  • Liked: 300
  • Likes Given: 457
Got mine yesterday. To say this three-volume set is a wealth of information would be to greatly understate things. It is the previous three editions on steroids. Maybe overdosing on steroids! It will take me weeks, at least, to go through it all. A must-have for any serious space enthusiast.

Offline Oersted

• Liked: 4098
  • Likes Given: 2773
Ordered. 155€ at Amazon.de, shipping for free.

Offline Zero-G

• Switzerland
  • Liked: 30
  • Likes Given: 52
Just one question for those who have received it already: Is there a chapter about Buran as well?
I have the three previous editions and the russian efforts are mentioned in the first and second edition, but not in the third. I have read some time ago, that Jenkins planned to include a chapter about russian efforts in the final edition again and even expand it a bit.

I have placed my order back in mid-January on Amazon.de, but it seems like german amazon is lagging far behind other countries: I received an e-mail the other day, that delivery will be in April/May. Well, it's not a problem, as long as I will get one eventually. Gives me time to catch up reading some other books, I have lying around. ;)
"I still don't understand who I am: the first human or the last dog in space." - Yuri Gagarin

Online dccraven

• Chattanooga, TN
  • Liked: 27
  • Likes Given: 41
I'm still working my way through Volume I, learning about the early developments that fed the final design of the space shuttle. A quick review of the 21 chapters and the index did not find a specific chapter concerning the Soviet Buran shuttle. I noted about 9 references to the Buran in the index, but no significant number of pages concerning it. My initial examination of the three volumes found an interesting reference to the difference in the layout of the thermal protection system tiles on the STS versus the Buran that resulted in some structural damage from the re-entry heat on the Buran's only flight.
So far I am overwhelmed with the detail and the stories...a lot of information to comprehend!

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 1884
Mine was delivered today, but i am at work until 9 PM!!

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography