Author Topic: Boyajians Star Updates And Discussion  (Read 88946 times)

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 1237
  • Likes Given: 168
Re: Boyajians Star Updates And Discussion
« Reply #800 on: 09/13/2017 06:22 AM »
Fair enough. Is it a question of finance as to why Professor Boyajian's team takes so few data points?
« Last Edit: 09/13/2017 06:23 AM by Star One »

Online hop

• Liked: 351
  • Likes Given: 682
« Reply #801 on: 09/13/2017 07:17 AM »
Fair enough. Is it a question of finance as to why Professor Boyajian's team takes so few data points?
AFAIK the points in Boyajian's updates are generally binned from multiple observations. Some earlier updates had this information in the plot. They also take multiple filters (see http://www.wherestheflux.com/single-post/2017/06/26/Dip-update-17n---dip2-and-data-update for example), but most updates only show r-prime.

Online M.E.T.

• Liked: 150
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #802 on: 09/13/2017 08:12 AM »
It seems to me that such a V shape implies a fairly fast transit of the star, with the maximum blocking of the star's light only occurring for a very brief period at the deepest part of the V. However, surely the speed of the transit has implications for the distance at which the object orbits the star. And that in turn begs the question of why this particular V shaped dimming event does not occur more regularly?

Offline Stan-1967

• Denver, Colorado
  • Liked: 236
  • Likes Given: 160
« Reply #803 on: 09/13/2017 03:44 PM »
I think that is where the cometary hypotheses are strongest.  If the orbit is very eccentric, or even hyperbolic, then each swarm is it's own non-repeatable event.  The problem then is how does this system produce so many huge comet swarms that don't produce excess IR.  ETI advocates have no problem with this non-periodicity.  It's easy to think up ways an advanced civilization could cause the dip.  It's not so easy, or even impossible,  to test & prove those conjectures.

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #804 on: 09/13/2017 03:44 PM »
Looks like almost full recovery to baseline now from reports of David Lane's observations, though BG shows a slight bend towards the end.

http://www.brucegary.net/ts3/
« Last Edit: 09/13/2017 03:46 PM by Star One »

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #805 on: 09/14/2017 03:40 PM »
Dip update 82/n
September 14, 2017
[Orig: Sept 13-14, 2017]

Hi folks,

Here is the update on the past two nights of data. 

Two nights ago, the TFN measurement showed the star continuing to recover from the dip.  However,
when OGG started observing it (remember OGG is halfway around the world from TFN, so its observation window is ~12 hours after TFNs) it looked like it was dropping again!

Last night, the winds were too high at TFN to open the domes for observing, so there is only OGG to report.  This observation shows that we are back to almost normal brightness, meaning that the drop the previous night lasted less than a days time (as a reminder for those of us that are somewhat spoiled by recent dips that last a week or longer, a day long event is still quite extraordinary!).     

In other related news, the polls are open for the Kickstarter backers to vote on what we will call this dip, and we will announce the winner on Sunday September 17.   

All the best,

~Tabby and team

http://www.wherestheflux.com/single-post/2017/09/14/Dip-update-82n

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #806 on: 09/14/2017 06:57 PM »
I am posting this person's theory on periodicity purely because looking at his current last posting he's thinking of writing a paper on it which elevates it above the noise in my view.

https://www.reddit.com/r/KIC8462852/comments/6zzdyw/expanded_overlay_1573_day_periodicity/

Any critiquing would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: 09/14/2017 06:58 PM by Star One »

Offline as58

• Liked: 232
  • Likes Given: 158
« Reply #807 on: 09/14/2017 09:01 PM »
I am posting this person's theory on periodicity purely because looking at his current last posting he's thinking of writing a paper on it which elevates it above the noise in my view.

https://www.reddit.com/r/KIC8462852/comments/6zzdyw/expanded_overlay_1573_day_periodicity/

It looks like numerology to me. Why is the "first-order" 27.5 times the "zeroth-order"? Where does 187.5 in "third-order" or 65 in "Nth-order" come from? PSLQ?

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #808 on: 09/14/2017 09:37 PM »

It looks like numerology to me. Why is the "first-order" 27.5 times the "zeroth-order"? Where does 187.5 in "third-order" or 65 in "Nth-order" come from? PSLQ?

Well that's why I asked for a critique of it.

Offline Stan-1967

• Denver, Colorado
  • Liked: 236
  • Likes Given: 160
« Reply #809 on: 09/15/2017 02:38 AM »
What is the point of ascribing meaning to periodicities that are some rational number multiple of the stars rotational period?   The person is also wildly reckless with significant digits in proposing there are measured periodicities accurate to .00001 days. ( .864 seconds).

As far as I can tell, the reddit thread is mainly ETI advocates fortune telling the veritable chicken entrails of KIC8462852's light curve. 

Online meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 3833
  • Likes Given: 804
« Reply #810 on: 09/15/2017 03:35 AM »
MeekGee's conjecture:

Every astronomical phenomenon ever observed can be explained by attributing it to a sufficiently advanced ETI.

ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Online matthewkantar

• Liked: 400
  • Likes Given: 390
« Reply #811 on: 09/15/2017 04:25 AM »
If I may, Kantar's corallary: every rational explanation can be waved away by claiming the ETs are expert at covering thier tracks.

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #812 on: 09/15/2017 06:28 AM »
What is the point of ascribing meaning to periodicities that are some rational number multiple of the stars rotational period?   The person is also wildly reckless with significant digits in proposing there are measured periodicities accurate to .00001 days. ( .864 seconds).

As far as I can tell, the reddit thread is mainly ETI advocates fortune telling the veritable chicken entrails of KIC8462852's light curve.
Then you'd be wrong in assuming that being as both Professor Wright & Boyajian have posted on there in the past. Also any ETI speculation is only allowed in one boxed off thread, and wilder speculation is actually on a completely different Reddit.

If I may, Kantar's corallary: every rational explanation can be waved away by claiming the ETs are expert at covering thier tracks.

And that has precisely zero to do with this topic. Don't just contribute to the noise if you haven't got anything useful to contribute.
« Last Edit: 09/15/2017 06:33 AM by Star One »

Offline TakeOff

• Liked: 72
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #813 on: 09/15/2017 05:28 PM »
What are the similarities and differences compared with light curves of non-periodic variable stars? What kinds of F-star variables are there?
« Last Edit: 09/15/2017 05:28 PM by TakeOff »

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #814 on: 09/15/2017 05:56 PM »
What are the similarities and differences compared with light curves of non-periodic variable stars? What kinds of F-star variables are there?

F stars aren't generally known to be variable so if this is it would be unique.

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #815 on: 09/15/2017 08:19 PM »
Dip update 83/n
September 15, 2017
[Orig: Sept 15, 2017]

Hi folks,

Here is the update on the LCO observations. 

Last night we were only able to collect data at OGG. The graph below shows that the star's flux is not at a significantly decreased level at this time.

Have a great weekend!

~Tabby and team

http://www.wherestheflux.com/single-post/2017/09/15/Dip-update-83n

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #816 on: 09/16/2017 07:22 PM »
Dip update 84/n
September 16, 2017
[Orig: Sept 16, 2017]

Hi everyone,

Here is the latest from LCO.  Note that I have dropped one of the comparison stars from OGG because it was occasionally falling on a part of the camera's CCD with a hot pixel. LSU grad student Tyler Ellis has developed a nifty method using Gaussian Processes to 'fix' these pixels, however we will omit using this comparison star in these posts until all the data are run through his pipeline.   

~Tabby and team

http://www.wherestheflux.com/single-post/2017/09/16/Dip-update-84n

Online meekGee

• N. California
« Reply #817 on: 09/16/2017 08:48 PM »

Then you'd be wrong in assuming that being as both Professor Wright & Boyajian have posted on there in the past. Also any ETI speculation is only allowed in one boxed off thread, and wilder speculation is actually on a completely different Reddit.

And that has precisely zero to do with this topic. Don't just contribute to the noise if you haven't got anything useful to contribute.

Come on man.  Neither him no me introduced ETs in here, nor the non-stop talk about "long range dimming" which was as noisy as the ET talk.

It's perfectly acceptable to throw shade at ideas you don't like as long as you don't throw shade at forum members.

Offline Star One

• UK
Boyajians Star Updates And Discussion
« Reply #818 on: 09/16/2017 10:12 PM »

Come on man.  Neither him no me introduced ETs in here, nor the non-stop talk about "long range dimming" which was as noisy as the ET talk.

It's perfectly acceptable to throw shade at ideas you don't like as long as you don't throw shade at forum members.

Is it when to me the second poster's post that I quoted just came across as snarky. If that person wants to be like that then there's always Twitter, Reddit or YouTube comments for that kind of thing.

I did explain at the time why I was posting those particular videos, which I have now stopped doing as it was clear they were distracting. At no point did I ever say I agreed what was in them theory wise. It's ironic that you talk about not attacking forum members when your post seems to be doing this very thing in a thinly veiled way.

I could have said that in the comment that was made up thread of just dismissing someone's theory as numerology, that using a negative pejorative to discredit a particular hypothesis that you subjectively disagree with isn't particularly helpful.
« Last Edit: 09/16/2017 11:27 PM by Star One »

Online meekGee

• N. California
« Reply #819 on: 09/16/2017 11:35 PM »

Is it when to me the second poster's post that I quoted just came across as snarky. If that person wants to be like that then there's always Twitter, Reddit or YouTube comments for that kind of thing.

I did explain at the time why I was posting those particular videos, which I have now stopped doing as it was clear they were distracting. At no point did I ever say I agreed what was in them theory wise. It's ironic that you talk about not attacking forum members when your post seems to be doing this very thing in a thinly veiled way.

I could have said that in the comment that was made up thread of just dismissing someone's theory as numerology, that using a negative pejorative to discredit a particular hypothesis that you subjectively disagree with isn't particularly helpful.

k, fair enough.  But there's good snark and bad snark...  I think we're all good on this thread...  Even any ETI people...

Tags: