Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon Heavy Demo - Discussion and Speculation  (Read 239242 times)

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32738
  • Likes Given: 8196
I had a look through the past threads but I couldn't find one for the first Falcon Heavy launch! This will be a demonstration mission. The STP-2 mission will fly on the second Falcon Heavy. As reported in the AMOS-6 discussion thread, launch is currently planned around May 2017.

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=41252.msg1598513#msg1598513

"Pad 40 will probably be back in action around March or April next year. Probably around May or so is when we will launch Falcon Heavy."
« Last Edit: 03/23/2017 11:08 pm by gongora »
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline Flying Beaver

F A L C O N  H E A V Y  side core with Nose Cone spotted leaving Hawthorne tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can see the lack of interstage cuz the mount for the front set of wheels is too far forwards.

THIS IS CRAZY!!!  ;D ;D

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQM5Po2Dvz4/
« Last Edit: 02/07/2017 06:38 am by Flying Beaver »
Watched B1019 land in person 21/12/2015.

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32738
  • Likes Given: 8196
Enhanced image.
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Online cartman

• Greece
  • Liked: 524
  • Likes Given: 10431
Attached video for people that do not have instagram

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4164
  • Likes Given: 6078
Astounding that we are a few months out and no confirmed payload. (Plenty of rumors and wishes, but nothing solid AFAIK.)  Don't want to start another first payload thread;  any real info would be great!
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18202
  • Likes Given: 12162
Astounding that we are a few months out and no confirmed payload. (Plenty of rumors and wishes, but nothing solid AFAIK.)  Don't want to start another first payload thread;  any real info would be great!
It's a demo mission. No customer payloads on it of any importance. A lesson learned from the likes of Ariane 5 G, Ariane 5 ECA, Falcon 1, Delta IV Heavy, etc.
« Last Edit: 02/07/2017 11:20 am by woods170 »

Offline Kaputnik

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 722
  • Likes Given: 821
It's a demo mission. No customer payloads on it of any importance. A lesson learned from the likes of Ariane 5 G, Ariane 5 ECA, Falcon 1, Delta IV Heavy, etc.

Is that confirmed, or speculation?
SpaceX have a history of putting payloads on maiden launches.
"I don't care what anything was DESIGNED to do, I care about what it CAN do"- Gene Kranz

Online Orbiter

• Florida
  • Liked: 1548
  • Likes Given: 1385

F9 F-1 launched a Dragon boilerplate.
KSC Engineer, astronomer, rocket photographer.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25241
  • Likes Given: 12115
"of any great importance" is an operative phrase, there.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline wardy89

• UK
  • Liked: 80
  • Likes Given: 102
Seeing the pictures of a potential falcon heavy side core with nose cone already attached has me thinking.

To lift stages on and off the test stands as well as recover the stages once landed SpaceX have been using a fitting that secures to the interstage of the rocket. This will not be possible with a falcon heavy core with a nose cone attached. I would assume SpaceX wouldn't want to be messing round with removing a nose cone while the rocket sits on a landing pad. It would be logical to design the nose cone so that it has the structural capability and includes fixtures so that it can be uses as the lifting point.

Does anyone have any insight into wether this might be the case?

Offline vanoord

• Liked: 450
  • Likes Given: 106
Re: SpaceX Falcon Heavy - Demo Mission - May 2017 - Discussion
« Reply #10 on: 02/07/2017 12:59 pm »
Seeing the pictures of a potential falcon heavy side core with nose cone already attached has me thinking.

To lift stages on and off the test stands as well as recover the stages once landed SpaceX have been using a fitting that secures to the interstage of the rocket. This will not be possible with a falcon heavy core with a nose cone attached. I would assume SpaceX wouldn't want to be messing round with removing a nose cone while the rocket sits on a landing pad. It would be logical to design the nose cone so that it has the structural capability and includes fixtures so that it can be uses as the lifting point.

Some form of external mounting points arranged round the diameter of the core just under the cone?

Could be similar to the four lugs that are on the outside of the octaweb for attaching the jacks when they recover them on the ASDS.

Offline old_sellsword

• Liked: 531
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #11 on: 02/07/2017 01:03 pm »

My guess is that they'll use the nose cone hardpoints for the center booster attachment struts. Or possibly even the grid fin attachment points.
« Last Edit: 02/07/2017 01:04 pm by old_sellsword »

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 3113
  • Likes Given: 3862
« Reply #12 on: 02/07/2017 02:50 pm »

Some form of external mounting points arranged round the diameter of the core just under the cone?

Could be similar to the four lugs that are on the outside of the octaweb for attaching the jacks when they recover them on the ASDS.

Agreed, the boosters are big but not that heavy. 

Edit: Very exciting to see real FH hardware on the road. 
« Last Edit: 02/07/2017 02:51 pm by wannamoonbase »
Wildly optimistic prediction, Superheavy recovery on IFT-4 or IFT-5

Offline Elvis in Space

• Elvis is Everywhere
  • Still on Earth
  • Liked: 771
  • Likes Given: 6319
« Reply #13 on: 02/07/2017 03:27 pm »

They're going to send a Dragon to Mars in 2018 and there's a closet full of used Dragon V1 available. I know it's different but same and if you got nothing else...?
Cheeseburgers on Mars!

Offline mr. mark

• Liked: 172
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #14 on: 02/07/2017 03:41 pm »
Sources close to me say confirmed. FH side booster.

Offline Proponent

• Liked: 2782
  • Likes Given: 1462
« Reply #15 on: 02/07/2017 03:46 pm »

And don't forget the cheese.

Offline old_sellsword

• Liked: 531
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #16 on: 02/07/2017 03:47 pm »

Did they happen to mention if it was the landed booster they converted or a new one?

Offline Elvis in Space

• Elvis is Everywhere
  • Still on Earth
  • Liked: 771
  • Likes Given: 6319
« Reply #17 on: 02/07/2017 03:51 pm »

There has to be another, right? Will they get done with this one at McGregor before they ship the next or is another close behind?
Cheeseburgers on Mars!

Offline ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3543
  • Likes Given: 759
« Reply #18 on: 02/07/2017 03:57 pm »

And don't forget the cheese.

Cheese was flown on F9-02.

Offline mr. mark

• Liked: 172
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #19 on: 02/07/2017 03:59 pm »
Speculation suggests its the returned booster. Thaicom - 8.
« Last Edit: 02/07/2017 04:03 pm by mr. mark »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography