Author Topic: Pad 39A - Transition to SpaceX Falcon Heavy debut - Thread 3  (Read 444459 times)

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1561
  • Likes Given: 1749
Re: Pad 39A - Transition to SpaceX Falcon Heavy debut - Thread 3
« Reply #440 on: 09/07/2017 04:23 am »
Speaking of vertical integration, will there still be a crane on top of the FSS? If not, how will they use vertical integration?

There's 13 pages of discussion of that right here:

SpaceX Vertical Integration/DOD Market
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=40721.0

That thread has been idle for a year now, though.  You might give it a bump and see what's changed.
« Last Edit: 09/07/2017 04:23 am by ChrisC »
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
« Reply #441 on: 09/07/2017 04:40 pm »
That poor RSS!

Does the remainder of the RSS look ready for a hurricane?
NASA may regret not letting SpaceX take it down with explosives. 
At least then they could plan the timing of the fall when other things aren't going on.
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4672
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #442 on: 09/07/2017 05:03 pm »
Had noticed that SpaceX took the latest downtime to install some new fairing cradles on the top of the Strongback.

Edit: Perhaps for X-37B-specific lifting/stresses due to a different payload adapter?
Perhaps it is a requirement by USAF rather than vertical integration? Just a WAG

Speaking of vertical integration, will there still be a crane on top of the FSS? If not, how will they use vertical integration?
it is not disclosed yet

Offline launchwatcher

• Liked: 726
  • Likes Given: 988
« Reply #443 on: 09/07/2017 05:18 pm »
Does the remainder of the RSS look ready for a hurricane?
NASA may regret not letting SpaceX take it down with explosives. 
At least then they could plan the timing of the fall when other things aren't going on.
With most of the cleanroom walls and the upper part of the structure removed, the remaining truss structure is presumably not supporting anywhere near the weight it was supporting before removal started.   Moreover there are many fewer flat panels to catch the wind..

I might worry about pieces falling off but I strongly doubt the whole thing's coming down.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #444 on: 09/08/2017 05:37 pm »

Edit: Perhaps for X-37B-specific lifting/stresses due to a different payload adapter?

nah

Offline Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 2433
  • Likes Given: 11916
« Reply #445 on: 09/08/2017 07:46 pm »

nah

Whats your best guess then?

Offline jjyach

• Liked: 1560
  • Likes Given: 181
« Reply #446 on: 09/08/2017 08:20 pm »
Probably just a better way to support the fairing/paf in general,  especially when going up hill.  By using a strap, they can set it to whatever tension they want.  If they had a super heavy payload it would take some pressure off the stack.

Offline vaporcobra

Not sure if this is the right location, but a preliminary analysis of damage at Kennedy Space Center had a few frames of LC-39A. Low res and I had to crop in a bit, but the HIF at least looks fine. Three relatively different angles available, feel free to take a look and see if you can spot anything I missed.

https://images.nasa.gov/#/details-KSC-20170912-MH-GEB01_0002-Hurricane_Irma_Damage_Assessment-3169789.html

Online southshore26

nah

Whats your best guess then?

I'm pretty sure he's not guessing.

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023

Offline vaporcobra

Wow, the RSS is basically just a structural skeleton at this point.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BZcsz93lmw7/

Offline Bargemanos

• The Netherlands
  • Liked: 108
  • Likes Given: 684
« Reply #451 on: 09/26/2017 08:55 am »
Thinks have indeed been changed...

Offline crandles57

• Sychdyn
  • Liked: 431
  • Likes Given: 136
« Reply #452 on: 09/26/2017 12:58 pm »
https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2017/09/spacex-realign-manifest-double-launch-salvo/
The amount of work yet to be completed on the new TEL means it is increasingly likely the Koreasat 5A will be launched from KSC’s 39A.
With SpaceX’s near-term manifest its main priority, keeping 39A active for the interim will be an obvious decision over any rush to debut Falcon Heavy.

:( for Heavy
Slipping into 2018?

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18201
  • Likes Given: 12162
« Reply #453 on: 09/26/2017 01:46 pm »
https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2017/09/spacex-realign-manifest-double-launch-salvo/
The amount of work yet to be completed on the new TEL means it is increasingly likely the Koreasat 5A will be launched from KSC’s 39A.
With SpaceX’s near-term manifest its main priority, keeping 39A active for the interim will be an obvious decision over any rush to debut Falcon Heavy.

:( for Heavy
Slipping into 2018?
Officially: No.
Unofficially (per various SpaceX sources): Yes.

Offline vaporcobra

TEL out and about at 39A on 9/27. Will serve as a nice "before" picture for judging whether or not modifications are made in between launches in October.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BZhRhU8AgMA/?taken-by=markboers1991

Offline chrisking0997

• NASA Langley
  • Liked: 127
  • Likes Given: 317
« Reply #455 on: 09/28/2017 06:15 pm »
does anyone know, are the mods set to be made for FH permanent?  I look at how the bottom of the reaction frame looks and wonder if they have to swap out the "buckets" in between FH/F9 launches (as I was assuming they are there to help direct thrust/sound) or if they will leave them out from then on.
Tried to tell you, we did.  Listen, you did not.  Now, screwed we all are.

Offline old_sellsword

• Liked: 531
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #456 on: 09/28/2017 06:18 pm »
does anyone know, are the mods set to be made for FH permanent?  I look at how the bottom of the reaction frame looks and wonder if they have to swap out the "buckets" in between FH/F9 launches (as I was assuming they are there to help direct thrust/sound) or if they will leave them out from then on.

Those “buckets” have two of the four F9 hold-down clamps attached to the top of them. Since they plan on launching F9 from 39A alongside FH, those hold-down clamps will need to be reinstalled for F9 launches.
« Last Edit: 09/28/2017 06:18 pm by old_sellsword »

Offline envy887

• Liked: 6801
  • Likes Given: 2965
« Reply #457 on: 09/28/2017 06:21 pm »

I don't think they are permanent, in as much as anything is every really "permanent", but I don't believe they intend to swap parts out to launch a F9. There is a set of posts that go under the hold down points where the side boosters connect to the central one.

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023
« Reply #458 on: 09/28/2017 08:04 pm »
looks like the RSS is nearing its final phase of demolition:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZmN7QuniE3/

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #459 on: 09/28/2017 09:53 pm »
I think the very last bit of demo might be a bit tricky.. You get to a point where you can't just take one more piece off or the rest of the structure collapses. I'm expecting at some point for the very last bit of work they may have to deploy a second crane or some sort of jig to hold the last few pieces...
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography