Author Topic: The Reaction Engines Skylon/SABRE Master Thread (6)  (Read 139043 times)

Offline t43562

• UK
  • Liked: 72
  • Likes Given: 36
Re: The Reaction Engines Skylon/SABRE Master Thread (6)
« Reply #680 on: 08/31/2017 11:13 PM »
A lot of people say kind things about me but it's not really an intellectual issue quite frankly but a matter a of being bold enough to challenge what people tell you.  If you think something can be done, well ... go away and work it out.
:-)
« Last Edit: 09/01/2017 01:26 PM by t43562 »

Offline JCRM

• Great Britain
  • Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 10

Offline CrewtaiL

• Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #682 on: 09/03/2017 11:57 AM »
This is a much better interview, I feel. He's a pretty interesting character

Offline JCRM

• Great Britain
« Reply #683 on: 09/13/2017 09:52 AM »
Of the 13 patents REL applied for just under 4 years ago (November 2013) a fifth has been granted: EP3055511 "rotational machine" which is a design for scavenging helium that leaks through the shaft seals on the various turbines.
I would imagine the better the seals the smaller such a device can be, leaving the task of optimising seal weight against scavenger weight against top-up weight.

Offline Ravenger

• Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #684 on: 09/14/2017 06:58 PM »
Here's a great animated video I found which goes into how both the Falcon 9 and Skylon (if it's ever built that is!) solve issues of reusability.

Stan Draws Spaceships Episode 2 Part 2: Falcon and Skylon

It's probably the best simplified explanation I've seen of how both launch systems work from a reusability point of view.

Offline john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
  • Liked: 713
  • Likes Given: 4128
« Reply #685 on: 09/18/2017 07:30 AM »
I  came across this analysis of the effect of very large numbers of Skylon flights on the atmosphere for an SPS building programme.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2016EF000399/full

Most of them are less than 1/10 that due to natural variation, despite a total of 10^5 launches.

What I'm not clear about is wheather this involves the initial combustor design or the one they developed as part of the LAPCAT prgramme, whose results were simulated by their Italian partners as being 1% of the NOX levels of a conventional system.
"Solids are a branch of fireworks, not rocketry. :-) :-) ", Henry Spencer 1/28/11  Averse to bold? You must be in marketing."It's all in the sequencing" K. Mattingly.  STS-Keeping most of the stakeholders happy most of the time.

Offline JCRM

• Great Britain
« Reply #686 on: 09/20/2017 02:02 AM »

What I'm not clear about is wheather this involves the initial combustor design or the one they developed as part of the LAPCAT prgramme, whose results were simulated by their Italian partners as being 1% of the NOX levels of a conventional system.

Quote from: Global atmospheric response to emissions from a proposed reusable space launch system
Detailed estimates of the NOX emissions have not yet been calculated by the rocket designers [R. Varvill, 2015, personal communication]. For this study, reliable estimates of NOX emissions from jet and rocket engines are scaled to the Skylon vehicle with the caveat that our estimates have high uncertainty. Lee et al. [2010], using the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) emissions databank
While the study is after the A2 work, it does not consider it.
I'm not certain whether the Scimitar NOx optimisations would apply to the SABRE engine.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 2426
  • Likes Given: 797
« Reply #687 on: 09/20/2017 10:20 AM »
Reaction Engines Ltd‏ @ReactionEngines 39m39 minutes ago

Work progressing three months on from #SABRETF1 ground breaking @WestcottVP, an impressive 350m of embankment to complete!

https://twitter.com/ReactionEngines/status/910438179261620224

Offline JCRM

• Great Britain
« Reply #688 on: 09/21/2017 10:02 AM »
Well, the weather looks very British... I hope they're doing a time-lapse, but doubt it.

I like the way the Stan Draws' animation manages to convey the inlets pointing into the direction of travel.

Given the furore over the BAe linkup, and it dooming SABRE to military applications I'm surprised the 2014 linkup with Bayern-Chemie (for intakes and ramjets) hasn't been mentioned here, despite the reference in REL's 2015 progress update.

Offline john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
  • Liked: 713
  • Likes Given: 4128
« Reply #689 on: 09/21/2017 11:37 AM »
Quote from: Global atmospheric response to emissions from a proposed reusable space launch system
Detailed estimates of the NOX emissions have not yet been calculated by the rocket designers [R. Varvill, 2015, personal communication]. For this study, reliable estimates of NOX emissions from jet and rocket engines are scaled to the Skylon vehicle with the caveat that our estimates have high uncertainty. Lee et al. [2010], using the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) emissions databank
While the study is after the A2 work, it does not consider it.
I'm not certain whether the Scimitar NOx optimisations would apply to the SABRE engine.
I think it was Richard Varville who mentioned it in a talk that they are planning to incorporate the low NoX design they came up with for LAPCAT in SABRE and Alan Bond said "I'll eat my underpants if it lives up to the low NoX level that the Italian group (U. Pisa?) have calculated."

Until then I was not sure if that was possible but they don't seem to have any doubts it is.
"Solids are a branch of fireworks, not rocketry. :-) :-) ", Henry Spencer 1/28/11  Averse to bold? You must be in marketing."It's all in the sequencing" K. Mattingly.  STS-Keeping most of the stakeholders happy most of the time.

Tags: