Author Topic: STS-115 Rollback - Live / Russian options  (Read 50477 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

New thread. United Space Alliance MLP workers have been told get rollback preps started.

Plus, this thread will be used for any news from the Russians on the Soyuz/Window.

Offline STS-Chris

  • Member
  • Member
  • Posts: 50
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: STS-115 Rollback - Live / Russian options
« Reply #1 on: 08/28/2006 12:07 PM »
The launch of Space Shuttle Atlantis on its STS-115 mission to the International Space Station is being postponed because of Tropical Storm Ernesto.

Shuttle managers are taking the preliminary steps to move Atlantis off the launch pad and back into the protection of the Vehicle Assembly Building. Further decisions on how to proceed will be made later as NASA continues to monitor Ernesto's progress.

NASA's lighted launch window extends to Sept. 13, but mission managers are hoping to launch by Sept. 7 to avoid a conflict with a Russian Soyuz rocket also bound for the International Space Station. Officials are talking with our Russian partners about the issue.

More details will be available at a 9 a.m. EDT briefing, which will be live on NASA Television.

NASA.gov

Online DaveS

  • Shuttle program observer
  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 7777
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 302
  • Likes Given: 13
Re: STS-115 Rollback - Live / Russian options
« Reply #2 on: 08/28/2006 12:24 PM »
Briefing is now 10 am EDT.
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline Jim

  • Night Gator
  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 31351
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 9628
  • Likes Given: 299
Re: STS-115 Rollback - Live / Russian options
« Reply #3 on: 08/28/2006 12:32 PM »
Effective at 8:00 a.m. today the Center Director and 45 SW Commander have placed CCAFS, KSC and PAFB in HURCON IV. With the path and intensity of the storm, an announcement of HURCON III can be expected later today.

Offline Chris Bergin

RE: STS-115 Rollback - Live / Russian options
« Reply #4 on: 08/28/2006 12:49 PM »
Russian sources opinion is hopeful of a Soyuz postponement - giving Atlantis a launch attempt in the second week of September.

But it's complex, so we await confirmed news.

Online DaveS

  • Shuttle program observer
  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 7777
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 302
  • Likes Given: 13
Re: STS-115 Rollback - Live / Russian options
« Reply #5 on: 08/28/2006 12:52 PM »
Hurricane Conditions

Condition IV: expect sustained 50 knot winds within 72 hours. When a condition
IV is declared, implementation of procedures in the KSC Hurricane Plan will
begin. Designated personnel will continue with their normally assigned duties but
will also be available for duties associated with hurricane preparations.

Condition III: expect sustained 50 knot winds within 48 hours. During Condition
III, designated personnel will be relieved of their normal duties as required for
hurricane preparations and securing will begin. At the discretion of the Center
Director, non-essential personnel may be sent home at this time.

Condition II: expect sustained 50 knot winds within 24 hours. When Condition II
is declared, the Ride-Out Crew who are designated to remain at KSC in critical
facilities during the hurricane shall be notified of responsibility.

Condition I: expect sustained 50 knot winds within 12 hours. Securing of all
facilities should be completed during this time. In Condition I, all ingress and
egress to KSC shall cease at a time determined by the KSC Center Director. All
gates will be closed and the Hurricane Ride-Out crew will be on station until the
“all clear” is given.

Hurricane Categories
Category Wind Storm Surge
Category 1 74-95 mph 4-5 feet
Category 2 96-110 mph 6-8 feet
Category 3 111-130 mph 9-12 feet
Category 4 131-155 mph 13-19 feet
Category 5 greater than 155 mph greater than 19 feet

Taken from the KENNEDY SPACE CENTER HURRICANE PLAN SUMMARY.
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline SimonShuttle

  • Elite Veteran
  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 1772
  • Manchester, England
  • Liked: 32
  • Likes Given: 40
RE: STS-115 Rollback - Live / Russian options
« Reply #6 on: 08/28/2006 01:00 PM »
So to make the second week, the storm has to pass by say September 1, rollout - 8 days prep to T-0, about a week of attempt time if the Russians move Soyuz?

Offline jacqmans

  • Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 16743
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 2362
  • Likes Given: 158
Re: STS-115 Rollback - Live / Russian options
« Reply #7 on: 08/28/2006 01:10 PM »
Aug. 28, 2006

Allard Beutel/Bruce Buckingham
Kennedy Space Center, Fla.
321-867-2468

RELEASE: 06-302

TROPICAL STORM ERNESTO FORCES SHUTTLE ATLANTIS' LAUNCH DELAY

Tuesday's scheduled launch of Space Shuttle Atlantis on its STS-115
mission to the International Space Station is being postponed because
of Tropical Storm Ernesto. A new launch date has not been set.

Although no final decision has been made, shuttle managers meeting at
NASA's Kennedy Space Center instructed launch teams Monday to
continue preliminary preparations to roll Atlantis off its launch pad
and back inside the protection of the Vehicle Assembly Building.
Managers will follow developments in Tropical Storm Ernesto's track.
A decision on whether to roll back is expected by midday Tuesday.

Ernesto is forecast to pass near Kennedy on Wednesday afternoon.

The STS-115 crew will remain in Florida until a roll back decision is
made. Commander Brent Jett, Pilot Chris Ferguson, and mission
specialists Joe Tanner, Dan Burbank, Heide Stefanyshyn-Piper and
Canadian astronaut Steve MacLean will study flight plans and spend
time with their families.

During STS-115, Atlantis' astronauts will deliver and install the
17.5-ton, bus-sized P3/P4 integrated truss segment on the station.
The girder-like truss includes a set of giant solar arrays, batteries
and associated electronics. The P3/P4 truss segment will provide
one-fourth of the total power-generation capability for the completed
station.

For information about the STS-115 crew and its mission to the
International Space Station, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/shuttle


-end-

Offline hoorenz

  • Regular
  • Member
  • Posts: 78
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: STS-115 Rollback - Live / Russian options
« Reply #8 on: 08/28/2006 01:21 PM »
If it takes 42 hours to roll back and the storm will pass Wednesday, why "A decision on whether to roll back is expected by midday Tuesday"  ??? Isn't that supposed to be Monday?

Erik

(Ah, let's answer myself: the preparations take some time as well and can be reverted before the actual roll back, which would start Tuesday).

Offline mastronaut

  • Veteran
  • Full Member
  • **
  • Posts: 232
  • Spacebound Entity
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: STS-115 Rollback - Live / Russian options
« Reply #9 on: 08/28/2006 01:22 PM »
:(

Offline Chris Bergin

Re: STS-115 Rollback - Live / Russian options
« Reply #10 on: 08/28/2006 01:28 PM »
Quote
hoorenz - 28/8/2006  2:08 PM

If it takes 42 hours to roll back and the storm will pass Wednesday, why "A decision on whether to roll back is expected by midday Tuesday"  ??? Isn't that supposed to be Monday?

Erik

I agree that the press release is very strange by its "a decision will be taken midday Tuesday" - as USA workers are basically saying the decisions has already been made this morning, thus the official announcement to the press would be likely midday today more likely.

Offline shuttlefan

  • Member
  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 1578
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: STS-115 Rollback - Live / Russian options
« Reply #11 on: 08/28/2006 01:33 PM »
I think they mean that they have until tomorrow midday to change their minds if the storm suddenly changes direction or strength again. Then they could back out of rollback preps. and start getting back into launch configuration and possibly launch again by Sunday. ;)

Offline nethegauner

  • Awaiting flight assignment since 1975
  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 998
  • Germany
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
RE: STS-115 Rollback - Live / Russian options
« Reply #12 on: 08/28/2006 01:34 PM »
They could still decide not to bring her back in even if roll-back preparations are being made, right? The language of the press release is rather confusing, though -- I guess we have a misunderstanding here...

Offline Radioheaded

  • Minister of Silly Walks
  • Full Member
  • *
  • Posts: 154
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: STS-115 Rollback - Live / Russian options
« Reply #13 on: 08/28/2006 01:35 PM »
Chris, with this delay, (assuming the Soyuz mission gets pushed back and 115 gets another launch opportunity in Sept). how does this effect the timeline for STS-116?


James
I know only enough to know that I don't know....

Online DaveS

  • Shuttle program observer
  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 7777
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 302
  • Likes Given: 13
Re: STS-115 Rollback - Live / Russian options
« Reply #14 on: 08/28/2006 01:35 PM »
Quote
Chris Bergin - 28/8/2006  3:15 PM

Quote
hoorenz - 28/8/2006  2:08 PM

If it takes 42 hours to roll back and the storm will pass Wednesday, why "A decision on whether to roll back is expected by midday Tuesday"  ??? Isn't that supposed to be Monday?

Erik

I agree that the press release is very strange by its "a decision will be taken midday Tuesday" - as USA workers are basically saying the decisions has already been made this morning, thus the official announcement to the press would be likely midday today more likely.
They have up to noon Tuesday to cancel all rollback preps. But the decision to actually go ahead do execute the rollback itself cannot be made later than noon Tuesday.
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline Chris Bergin

Re: STS-115 Rollback - Live / Russian options
« Reply #15 on: 08/28/2006 01:37 PM »
Quote
Radioheaded - 28/8/2006  2:22 PM

Chris, with this delay, (assuming the Soyuz mission gets pushed back and 115 gets another launch opportunity in Sept). how does this effect the timeline for STS-116?


James

Shouldn't cause a problem to 116...although 116 has its own issues regardless (YERO - LON ET-124 etc.)

Online DaveS

  • Shuttle program observer
  • Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 7777
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 302
  • Likes Given: 13
Re: STS-115 Rollback - Live / Russian options
« Reply #16 on: 08/28/2006 01:45 PM »
Quote
hoorenz - 28/8/2006  3:08 PM

If it takes 42 hours to roll back and the storm will pass Wednesday, why "A decision on whether to roll back is expected by midday Tuesday"  ??? Isn't that supposed to be Monday?

Erik

(Ah, let's answer myself: the preparations take some time as well and can be reverted before the actual roll back, which would start Tuesday).
Correct. The time stated is from the decision of starting rollback preps to time the shuttle is in the VAB.
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline shuttlefan

  • Member
  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 1578
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 3
RE: STS-115 Rollback - Live / Russian options
« Reply #17 on: 08/28/2006 01:45 PM »
Quote
nethegauner - 28/8/2006  8:21 AM

They could still decide not to bring her back in even if roll-back preparations are being made, right? The language of the press release is rather confusing, though -- I guess we have a misunderstanding here...

That's correct, but, a launch attempt still would not be possible before the weekend, to give them time to undo everything that's been done to prepare for rollback. ;)

Offline NASA_Twix_JSC

  • Supporting FDOs since 1999
  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 690
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 1
RE: STS-115 Rollback - Live / Russian options
« Reply #18 on: 08/28/2006 01:49 PM »
Quote
shuttlefan - 28/8/2006  8:32 AM

Quote
nethegauner - 28/8/2006  8:21 AM

They could still decide not to bring her back in even if roll-back preparations are being made, right? The language of the press release is rather confusing, though -- I guess we have a misunderstanding here...

That's correct, but, a launch attempt still would not be possible before the weekend, to give them time to undo everything that's been done to prepare for rollback. ;)

Too much risk associated with the current path of the storm and its speed towarde the cape. It takes a long time to pull out all the umbilicals and power points, so wheels won't move for another day, but its rollback as far as I'm concerned.

Offline Chris Bergin

RE: STS-115 Rollback - Live / Russian options
« Reply #19 on: 08/28/2006 02:08 PM »
One of the Crawlers has gone into the VAB now, to pick up and move STS-116 stack.

Tags: